Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polian: Questioning Bengals playoff success "absurd"
Put this into perspective: I am 23 years old. Have been a Bengals fan my entire life while residing in Pittsburgh. I have never been alive when the Bengals have won a playoff game. I don't know what a playoff win feels like. I don't know how it feels to be close to a Super Bowl.

So no, it's not absurd to me. We have players that have been on All-Pro teams, both first and second team.
Reply/Quote
Look, I am glad that this team is out of the dark ages and no longer a bottom feeder. No one can doubt that. However, the point of the NFL is to win a Super Bowl. It's hard to get excited when your team is constantly getting bounced in the first round, and only one game was competitive.

I really didn't get excited for the playoff game against Indy because I just didn't see us winning the game. The frustrating aspect is that we're not really making any changes to improve that. We're entering Marvin's 13th season as HC (5th if you look at this as phase 2). We just seem to be doing the same thing over and over hoping that it's going to work somehow.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 05:00 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Look, I am glad that this team is out of the dark ages and no longer a bottom feeder. No one can doubt that. However, the point of the NFL is to win a Super Bowl. It's hard to get excited when your team is constantly getting bounced in the first round, and only one game was competitive.

I really didn't get excited for the playoff game against Indy because I just didn't see us winning the game. The frustrating aspect is that we're not really making any changes to improve that. We're entering Marvin's 13th season as HC (5th if you look at this as phase 2). We just seem to be doing the same thing over and over hoping that it's going to work somehow.

[Image: einstein.png]
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
Questioning their playoff success is absolutely not absurd. Saying that is absurd, is absurd.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I agree with Groot. Tongue
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 04:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Teams aren't remembered for making playoff cameos. They're remembered for making deep runs.

You mean the Lion's of the 90s aren't well regarded for going one-n-done 5 times in 7 seasons? Ninja

No, no they aren't...in fact that is considered the franchise that squandered Barry Sanders. Go figure.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 05:05 PM)Interceptor Wrote: [Image: einstein.png]

How are we doing the "same thing" when we have two new coordinators?
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 04:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: To me, making the playoffs only to lose every single time isn't much better than not making the playoffs at all. I'll be just as interested in a 4-12 team as I am a 10-6 that gets their doors blown off in January. At least when you stink, you can look forward to a top QB in the draft or something. Maybe a new coach/direction.

Teams aren't remembered for making playoff cameos. They're remembered for making deep runs.

I became a fan in the early 90's and I've never seen a playoff win. I'm bored with decent/solid/good. I want to see a GREAT Bengals team for once in my life.

Watching wins is far more exciting than watching losses, so I'd rather get the wins. It's not much different in the end though, it's just a far bigger let down and it's more frustrating to go 11-5 and then one and done in the playoffs than to go 4-12 and be eliminated from playoff contention in week 11.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 09:20 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/05/17/bengals-bill-polian/27479191/

This actually reminds me of a poll I posted back on the old message board, about whether or not it was necessarily relevant that the Bengals haven't won a playoff game in over 20 years.

Polian seems to agree with my opinion that being a consistent playoff contender is the most important step towards getting to and winning a Super Bowl. 

Drafting for depth and building a powerful roster is the most effective way to build a team, IMHO. And with New England and Denver seemingly going through their own troubles with their quarterbacks and rosters our time may come sooner than later.

It is better to be in the playoffs than to not be. No doubt about that. This is so much better than the 90s that the two don't even compare.

But people do compare this team with the one in the 80s and to NE and Baltimore and Pittsburgh, all of whom have gone to SBs and have put on some really good playoff games.

One thing that sticks with people is how poorly this team shows up in the playoffs. Each of the last four years has ended with a bad performance. The games haven't even been close. That sticks with people. If the game was close and there was a chance near the end the perception would be different. But this team has been getting blown out in the second half of each of those games.

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 09:20 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2015/05/17/bengals-bill-polian/27479191/

This actually reminds me of a poll I posted back on the old message board, about whether or not it was necessarily relevant that the Bengals haven't won a playoff game in over 20 years.

Polian seems to agree with my opinion that being a consistent playoff contender is the most important step towards getting to and winning a Super Bowl. 

Drafting for depth and building a powerful roster is the most effective way to build a team, IMHO. And with New England and Denver seemingly going through their own troubles with their quarterbacks and rosters our time may come sooner than later.

If you are not getting to the playoffs then you have zero chance of postseason success. Rather simple it is.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 05:00 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Look, I am glad that this team is out of the dark ages and no longer a bottom feeder. No one can doubt that. However, the point of the NFL is to win a Super Bowl. It's hard to get excited when your team is constantly getting bounced in the first round, and only one game was competitive.

If this team were healthy against Indy they would have won the game. There are changes being made to improve from the Indy game. Marvin Jones healthy, Tyler Eifert healthy, AJ Green healthy.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 07:52 PM)OSUfan Wrote: If this team were healthy against Indy they would have won the game. There are changes being made to improve from the Indy game. Marvin Jones healthy, Tyler Eifert healthy, AJ Green healthy.

I'd be more likely to believe that if they hadn't stuffed up the Chargers game.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 07:52 PM)OSUfan Wrote: If this team were healthy against Indy they would have won the game. There are changes being made to improve from the Indy game. Marvin Jones healthy, Tyler Eifert healthy, AJ Green healthy.

Might be a bit of a stretch considering that Eifert and Jones missed basically the entire year. Dalton should have developed some rapport of some kind with another receiver as the year went along, but he didn't. Of course, I pin that on the coaches for lack of foresight.

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 05:30 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: How are we doing the "same thing" when we have two new coordinators?

By abandoning what works for us and playing with no fire.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 08:11 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Might be a bit of a stretch considering that Eifert and Jones missed basically the entire year. Dalton should have developed some rapport of some kind with another receiver as the year went along, but he didn't. Of course, I pin that on the coaches for lack of foresight.

So what you are saying is that Eifert and Jones will almost be like getting to good draft selections only these selections actually already have NFL experience.
Reply/Quote
I think we've lost 1 playoff game in the last 5 years, in which, we were favored.

Kudos to Marvin for not allowing the players from adopting the same "playoffs don't matter" attitude that has infected the board for the last couple years. I hope the team is as optimistic about this upcoming season as I am.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 05:00 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: 2). We just seem to be doing the same thing over and over hoping that it's going to work somehow.

The thing that I see us doing over and over is adding more talent.  The 2011, 2012, or 2013 teams would not have made the playoff with the amount of injuries we suffered last year.  In my opinion, of course.

If you want to call me crazy, my wife will back you up on that.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 06:22 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Watching wins is far more exciting than watching losses, so I'd rather get the wins.  It's not much different in the end though, it's just a far bigger let down and it's more frustrating to go 11-5 and then one and done in the playoffs than to go 4-12 and be eliminated from playoff contention in week 11.

Only one team ends the season with a win. You could argue losing in the SB is worse than losing first round of the playoffs using that rational.

I'd still take the SB loss. I'd also rather take a WC loss than not making the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2015, 08:14 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So what you are saying is that Eifert and Jones will almost be like getting to good draft selections only these selections actually already have NFL experience.

Not quite what I was saying.

Just feel it's a bit of a stretch to proclaim we would have won. Particularly since Indy won both games rather handily.

Reply/Quote
The Bengals have done some good things. Now they just have to play better, and execute. Ninja
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote