Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police Arrest Man Who Posted Video of Alton Sterling’s Death
http://usuncut.com/news/alton-sterling-videographer-arrested/

Quote:The man who was instrumental to making the first released recording of the Alton Sterling shooting go viral was arrested less than 24 hours later on charges of “assault and battery,” a move that he says was an act of police retaliation, according to a report by Carlos Miller with Photography Is Not a Crime (PINAC).

Alton Sterling’s death was still only a local controversy before Chris LeDay shared the video of the killing to his roughly 13,000 Instagram followers, 6,00o Twitter followers, and 2,000 Facebook friends. The video was then shared thousands of times, including by New York Daily News writer and Black Lives Matter supporter Shaun King, who shared it less than an hour after LeDay’s post.
[Image: Chris-LeDay-1.jpg]
“I wanted everybody to see this video,” LeDay told PINAC. “I wanted it to go viral. The police were already saying their body cams fell off and I wanted to show there was video of the shooting.”

The very next day, while trying to get through a security checkpoint to go to his job as an aerospace ground equipment technician at Dobbins Air Reserve Base, LeDay was surrounded and detained by ten military police officers, some of whom carried M-16 rifles.

[Image: DeLay-arrest.jpg]

The military officers allegedly told him that he was wanted for assault and battery before hauling him to a back room where he was handcuffed and leg-shackled. He was then taken to Dekalb County Jail by local Dunwoody police.

When he arrived, the warrant for his arrest mentioned nothing about an assault and battery charge.

“It was just over some traffic tickets from a couple of years ago,” LeDay said. “They said my license was suspended.”

LeDay wound up being forced to spend 26 hours in a jail cell, only being released after paying $1,231 in traffic fines. He admitted to not paying the tickets and allowing his license to be suspended, because he did not have the money at the time and no longer drives.

“I take Uber to work anyway,” LeDay said. “Even one of the cops on the base said he sees me getting dropped off for work.”

LeDay thinks that police chose to make a spectacle of arresting him at his workplace because someone in law enforcement was trying to get him fired in retaliation for posting the Alton Sterling video. An assault and battery arrest would have been immediate grounds for his dismissal. Fortunately, his boss laughed it off when he learned it was about unpaid traffic tickets.

[Image: Screen-Shot-2016-07-10-at-4.21.52-PM.png]
[Image: Screen-Shot-2016-07-10-at-4.23.17-PM.png]
Despite this harassment, LeDay told PINAC that he will continue to fight police brutality in any way he can. “We need to diffuse what the cops are doing,” he said. “They want to say that not all cops are bad but they are not speaking out against the bad cops.”

“It just keeps getting worse and people are getting tired of it. I just want some change to occur.”

The story is similar to that of Ramsey Orta, the videographer of the Eric Garner killing, who claims he was unfairly targeted for other crimes after his role in filming the incident and is currently facing four years in prison on weapons and drugs charges. Orta is the only person involved in the Eric Garner incident who has been charged with any crimes.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Meh, big deal. He needed to address those fines, anyway..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-10-2016, 06:55 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meh, big deal.  He needed to address those fines, anyway..

Don't think it was a bit of overkill for some overdue traffic tickets?

Quote:LeDay was surrounded and detained by ten military police officers, some of whom carried M-16 rifles.

hauling him to a back room where he was handcuffed and leg-shackled. He was then taken to Dekalb County Jail by local Dunwoody police.
Lessons. If you have something go viral with your name attached to it that has anything to do with police, dont have warrants. They have the internet too and when you put everything online they can find you. And pay your tickets/fines. Because chances are they will catch up to you.

Its a military base. There are tons of MPs standing around with their thumbs up their ass. Oh and some carry M16s. Once again its a military base. The fact we have security at a military base should not be a surprise. Especially the front gate...
(07-10-2016, 07:41 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Lessons. If you have something go viral with your name attached to it that has anything to do with police, dont have warrants. They have the internet too and when you put everything online they can find you. And pay your tickets/fines. Because chances are they will catch up to you.

Its a military base. There are tons of MPs standing around with their thumbs up their ass. Oh and some carry M16s. Once again its a military base. The fact we have security at a military base should not be a surprise. Especially the front gate...

So we're establishing that legally putting up a video means you should accept ten armed men arresting you , putting you in shackles, because of a few traffic tickets.

That's where we are setting the bar?

Let's talk a little more about how police are just doing their jobs.... ThumbsUp
(07-10-2016, 07:55 PM)GMDino Wrote: So we're establishing that legally putting up a video means you should accept ten armed men arresting you , putting you in shackles, because of an active bench warrant for your arrest?

That's where we are setting the bar?

Let's talk a little more about how police are just doing their jobs.... ThumbsUp

FTFY
(07-10-2016, 08:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: FTFY

Yeah, I know of other arrests that have happened for unpaid tickets, for a lower dollar amount. Is it fishy that the story changed and this didn't happen until after the video thing? Yeah. But being arrested for those tickets isn't out of the ordinary.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-10-2016, 08:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, I know of other arrests that have happened for unpaid tickets, for a lower dollar amount. Is it fishy that the story changed and this didn't happen until after the video thing? Yeah. But being arrested for those tickets isn't out of the ordinary.

I guarantee you they timing indicates a connection.  But to imply he was arrested unfairly is false by the man's own admission.  
How the hell does someone get over $1200 in traffic fines?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-10-2016, 08:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How the hell does someone get over $1200 in traffic fines?

Chances are it was not that many incidents, just the accumulation of the original fine plus penalty plus interest. 3 or 4 of those can add up.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(07-10-2016, 08:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, I know of other arrests that have happened for unpaid tickets, for a lower dollar amount. Is it fishy that the story changed and this didn't happen until after the video thing? Yeah. But being arrested for those tickets isn't out of the ordinary.

Especially when they knew where he was...every day for work.

(07-10-2016, 08:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I guarantee you they timing indicates a connection.  But to imply he was arrested unfairly is false by the man's own admission.  

ThumbsUp
(07-10-2016, 09:05 PM)GMDino Wrote: Especially when they knew where he was...every day for work.

ThumbsUp

You do know that everyone involved in a major incident or investigation gets run for wants and warrants right?  It's not unheard of for the victim of the crime being investigated to be detained on an active bench warrant.
(07-10-2016, 08:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: How the hell does someone get over $1200 in traffic fines?

Cause pimpin' ain't easy, but Uber helps.
Ninja

(disclaimer:I do not know the ethnicity of the individual involved, no racist comment intended)
(07-10-2016, 07:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: Don't think it was a bit of overkill for some overdue traffic tickets?

Nah... its just a matter of where he worked moreso than what the charges were for.

If he had unpaid tickets he had a warrant.  they will eventually find you.