Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Political Boiler Rooms
my disclosure: I didn't vote for Trump but i do typically vote for the republican candidate.

Are political/social media boiler rooms an actual thing? Especially in the social media world?

////////Potential Spoiler for Homeland if you continue reading/////////
So i spend a lot of time on reddit and there is a ton of angry anti Trump posts on there. Any time there's a new post that makes it to the top of /all or /popular, it's on a random account that was opened within the last 3 months.

After watching this season of homeland...i'm convinced this is an actual thing. I feel like there can't possibly be that much hate floating around out there.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
(05-15-2017, 10:55 AM)basballguy Wrote: my disclosure: I didn't vote for Trump but i do typically vote for the republican candidate.

Are political/social media boiler rooms an actual thing? Especially in the social media world?

So i spend a lot of time on reddit and there is a ton of angry anti Trump posts on there. Any time there's a new post that makes it to the top of /all or /popular, it's on a random account that was opened within the last 3 months.

After watching this season of homeland...i'm convinced this is an actual thing. I feel like there can't possibly be that much hate floating around out there.

We've seen it on both sides of the Trump saga. I've seen the same thing happen with posts from r/T_D that make it to the top. Hard to say what to make of it, really. But there does seem to be a lot of effort being put into making each side appear to have more support than they actually do.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
I wouldn't be surprised if the two major parties need this considering they are both smaller than than people that don't belong to either party:

Repub = 25%
Dem = 28%
Ind = 44%

http://www.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx
Political boiler rooms.... Political Think Tanks... Propaganda Mills.... Political Machines....

It's all out there. Some of it goes back hundreds of years. And they absolutely love social media!
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(05-15-2017, 10:55 AM)basballguy Wrote: After watching this season of homeland...i'm convinced this is an actual thing.  I feel like there can't possibly be that much hate floating around out there.

I don't watch Homeland so I don't get the boiler room reference.

Dissatisfaction may be a better word than hate. I am 65 years old and I have not seen so much dissatisfaction with a president since Johnson and Nixon. And we aren't even halfway through Trump's first year.

There is a lot of real "hate" too, of course.

My view is rather the flip side of yours. I feel like there can't possibly be that much support for Trump, given the incompetence, narcissism, authoritarian tendencies, misogyny and so forth. But there is. That is the mystery.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Totally made up percentages here but I would say its 5% hate, 10% party, 20% don't care and 65% troll.

Ever since the 2000 election, we have more trolls out there stirring up those that hate whomever is in office and that hatred trickles into some of those that support party.
(05-15-2017, 01:14 PM)Dill Wrote: I don't watch Homeland so I don't get the boiler room reference.

Dissatisfaction may be a better word than hate. I am 65 years old and I have not seen so much dissatisfaction with a president since Johnson and Nixon. And we aren't even halfway through Trump's first year.

There is a lot of real "hate" too, of course.

My view is rather the flip side of yours. I feel like there can't possibly be that much support for Trump, given the incompetence, narcissism, authoritarian tendencies, misogyny and so forth. But there is. That is the mystery.

Same for me, and we're generally the same age. Our Vietnam era leaders showed us how NOT to be, and it's been a struggle to correct our path since then until lately, when the path was obliterated. I'm right on the edge of buying into the bizarre philosophy that 45 is blatantly exposing every vile facet of our system deliberately just to get the Nations attention on the severity of the problem(s). That's giving him a helluva lot of credit, something that I really have a hard time believing though the end result seems unavoidable. The Trump supporters that I know aren't showing any level of support these days however. Instead, they aren't saying anything at all, just glance down and shrug a lot. Change is coming I think, and much of it is because of social media, think tanks, 'boiler rooms'. It's becoming therapy for a country in dire need of healing.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(05-15-2017, 10:55 AM)basballguy Wrote: my disclosure:  I didn't vote for Trump but i do typically vote for the republican candidate.  

Are political/social media boiler rooms an actual thing?  Especially in the social media world?  

So i spend a lot of time on reddit and there is a ton of angry anti Trump posts on there.  Any time there's a new post that makes it to the top of /all or /popular, it's on a random account that was opened within the last 3 months.

After watching this season of homeland...i'm convinced this is an actual thing.  I feel like there can't possibly be that much hate floating around out there.

The left has ShareBlue (renamed from Correct the Record after the election) to pay people to try to set the online narrative with fake support. They spam Trump Tweets with irrelevant and poorly created memes. The right has a bunch of people that like shit posting and treat autism as a sport where by tracking down Shia Lebouf's flag they can level up and get 4chan street cred. If the right has the equivalent to ShariaBlue with real people dubbed "nerd virgins" locked in a room on fake accounts with multiple smart phones at once it's super effective because no one can point to it's existence.  
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(05-15-2017, 02:33 PM)6andcounting Wrote: The left has ShareBlue (renamed from Correct the Record after the election) to pay people to try to set the online narrative with fake support. They spam Trump Tweets with irrelevant and poorly created memes. The right has a bunch of people that like shit posting and treat autism as a sport where by tracking down Shia Lebouf's flag they can level up and get 4chan street cred. If the right has the equivalent to ShariaBlue with real people dubbed "nerd virgins" locked in a room on fake accounts with multiple smart phones at once it's super effective because no one can point to it's existence.  

How do we know it exists, then?
(05-15-2017, 03:13 PM)Dill Wrote: How do we know it exists, then?

Idk, it either doesn't exist to the same extent as ShareBlue or they're so good we'll never be able to prove it's existence.  
(05-15-2017, 09:55 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Idk, it either doesn't exist to the same extent as ShareBlue or they're so good we'll never be able to prove it's existence.  

What if millions of people really are responding to Trump so its starting to look like fake support?
(05-15-2017, 02:12 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Totally made up percentages here but I would say its 5% hate, 10% party, 20% don't care and 65% troll.

Ever since the 2000 election, we have more trolls out there stirring up those that hate whomever is in office and that hatred trickles into some of those that support party.

Could be some of our politicians are stirring up the electorate, what with unnecessary wars and walls and all.
(05-15-2017, 10:30 PM)Dill Wrote: What if millions of people really are responding to Trump so its starting to look like fake support?

Soros doesn't have enough money to pay millions of people to do it.
(05-16-2017, 05:38 AM)6andcounting Wrote: Soros doesn't have enough money to pay millions of people to do it.

#fakepaidprotestor
(05-16-2017, 05:38 AM)6andcounting Wrote: Soros doesn't have enough money to pay millions of people to do it.

So then millions really are angry--grassroots uprising!