Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Portrait of Pope made out of Condoms
http://mobile.nytimes.com/blogs/artsbeat/2015/06/29/portrait-of-pope-benedict-xvi-made-of-condoms-draws-complaints-in-milwaukee/?_r=0&referrer=

not one gunman.....

Instead we get this ....

Quote: Archbishop Jerome E. Listecki of Milwaukee, in a blog post, criticized the museum’s decision to accept the piece, and suggested that artwork about other groups — with Gandhi and an Uzi, Lincoln in Ku Klux Klan garb or Hitler with a scullcap reading the Torah — might not be considered acceptable.

“Some may want me to be more upset at the museum for their callousness – calling for boycotts, suppression of donations or picketing,” Archbishop Listecki wrote. “God, religion and faith have been insulted by others throughout the ages and by autocrats and movements far superior to our little local museum.”

Very Proud of this response. Handled wonderfully.
Meh...it's art. Nothing is sacred, nor should it be.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
No one liked that pope, anyways.
The fact that the picture of it wasn't embedded at the top of your thread makes this thread a failure.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
There was a Pope made out of condoms? When was this? And what is wrong with making a portrait of him? Is the Catholic Church trying to keep his existence a secret?
Perhaps we should make a law against the making of images of religious people….
(06-30-2015, 06:11 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: Perhaps we should make a law against the making of images of religious people….

There is something in the Bible about it, but who'd attempt to apply that old thing to modern law, right?
(06-30-2015, 03:15 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Very Proud of this response.   Handled wonderfully.

Actually his response is pretty lame.  He completely misses the point the artist was trying to make i.e., that the catholic church is wrong in forbidding the use of condoms.

Here is what Listecki says in his blog

http://www.archmil.org/Our-Faith/Blogs/Archbishop-Listecki/JEL-20150624.htm

There are three areas I believe have contributed to this radical individual craziness which is taking place in our society. First, the loss of objective truth: when we lose objective truth, meaning that something is truth apart from assessment, then we lose language and our ability to speak with one another from a common perspective. Is something objectively true apart from what I believe it to be? Every word becomes subject to a person’s individual perspective.

Second, is the loss of natural law, a concept which is mocked by some in the academic circles. How we come to a conclusion of whether something is right or wrong has been traditionally accepted as coming from reason. We can know the good because it is engraved in our hearts. However, when there is no longer a good or an evil and it is only such if I choose it to be, or enough people affirm it, you can see why we exist in this chaotic situation. The good is subjected to the whim of the individual.

When he claims that forbidding the use of condoms is "truth apart from assessment" and "natural law coming from reasons" he just furthers proves how out of touch with reality the catholic church really is.