Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Politician attempting to stifle PP research
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/11/11/missouri-senator-aims-to-block-students-dissertation-on-abortion.html

Quote:A University of Missouri doctoral student plans to continue research for her dissertation on the effects of the state’s recently imposed 72-hour waiting period for abortions, despite a state legislator’s push to block the research, the student told Al Jazeera in an exclusive interview.

“I stand by my research project,” Lindsay Ruhr said Wednesday. “I feel that my research is objective, and that the whole point of my research is to understand how this policy affects women. Whether this policy is having a harmful or beneficial effect, we don’t know.”

The article goes on to point out that the student has received no grant or scholarship money to fund the research and it is not research by the university, but by the student. Rather interesting that there is so much attention being paid to her topic.
(11-13-2015, 04:22 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/11/11/missouri-senator-aims-to-block-students-dissertation-on-abortion.html

The article goes on to point out that the student has received no grant or scholarship money to fund the research and it is not research by the university, but by the student. Rather interesting that there is so much attention being paid to her topic.

Read that yesterday.  Seems a real stretch by the pol.  But then its MO.  Kansas' slightly dumber younger brother.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-13-2015, 04:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: Read that yesterday.  Seems a real stretch by the pol.  But then its MO.  Kansas' slightly dumber younger brother.

I can agree that the potential for bias is there given her employment situation and therefore the potential exists that her adviser or the board may not be too keen on it, but to say it is against the law when she is receiving no scholarship or grant money is a big stretch.
You are reading aljazeera?

State run media for Qatar. Do you also read Russia today to see what The Russian government want you to know as well?

State run media is dangerous.
After reading the article there is a connection to Pp if he has it then it shouldn't be allowed .

It's odd that the university has a relationship with PP to train their students. I guess if a nursing student doesn't believe in harvesting babies then they are out of luck for training unless they just have to grin and bear it ...
(11-13-2015, 04:49 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You are reading aljazeera?

State run media for Qatar. Do you also read Russia today to see what The Russian government want you to know as well?

State run media is dangerous.

It's on other sources as well. This was just the link I saw first to copy and paste.

(11-13-2015, 04:56 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: After reading the article there is a connection to Pp if he has it then it shouldn't be allowed .

Are you supporting the politician, or are you saying the adviser for the dissertation should not allow it?

(11-13-2015, 04:56 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's odd that the university has a relationship with PP to train their students. I guess if a nursing student doesn't believe in harvesting babies then they are out of luck for training unless they just have to grin and bear it ...

Schools partner with multiple places for training their nurses. No one would be forced to train at PP.
(11-13-2015, 04:49 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: State run media is dangerous.

Corporate run media isn't?

Al Jazeera has its obvious biases, but it also reports stuff the American corporate media tends to distort or ignore. For that reason it's beneficial to read it.
(11-13-2015, 05:25 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Corporate run media isn't?

Al Jazeera has its obvious biases, but it also reports stuff the American corporate media tends to distort or ignore. For that reason it's beneficial to read it.

When corporate makes a bond with the govenment to be the propaganda machine. Yes.

I want an adversarial relationship between news media and politicians. They are too close for comfort these days.... And it's been going on gradually more and more for over 100 years.
(11-13-2015, 05:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's on other sources as well. This was just the link I saw first to copy and paste.

Are you supporting the politician, or are you saying the adviser for the dissertation should not allow it?

Schools partner with multiple places for training their nurses. No one would be forced to train at PP.

If the pol. Has a connection to push forward his actions then he should be supported. As far as the advisor goes .... That's more of a issue with what relationships the school has with PP. the same could be said of they were partnered with a pro life group. I don't have enough info to make a call one way or another with the advisor.

I look forward to more info on this story. I wonder when young people choose these controversial topics... Where is it coming from... Kinda reminds me of the preface of the movie Gods not Dead. (Not sure if you have seen this) young kid was faced with defending an uncomfortable topic.
(11-13-2015, 05:38 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: If the pol. Has a connection to push forward his actions then he should be supported. As far as the advisor goes .... That's more of a issue with what relationships the school has with PP. the same could be said of they were partnered with a pro life group. I don't have enough info to make a call one way or another with the advisor.

I look forward to more info on this story. I wonder when young people choose these controversial topics... Where is it coming from... Kinda reminds me of the preface of the movie Gods not Dead. (Not sure if you have seen this) young kid was faced with defending an uncomfortable topic.

So why should the politician move forward if the impetus for their claim is public funds going towards abortions and what not, while the student is receiving no public funding and the topic of the research is not supporting abortions?
(11-13-2015, 05:43 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So why should the politician move forward if the impetus for their claim is public funds going towards abortions and what not, while the student is receiving no public funding and the topic of the research is not supporting abortions?

Being a public school.... Public funds are moving that institution forward.    

Like I said I don't have enough info to weigh in on this for certain but that is my guess at this point.    I hope to hear more on this issue as it moves forward. I don't have a problem with controversial topics.

I know there were loads of things we could do at a private school vs a public.   That was at the high school level.  I can't imagine the amount of hoops a university has to jump through.
(11-13-2015, 05:25 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Al Jazeera has its obvious biases, but it also reports stuff the American corporate media tends to distort or ignore. For that reason it's beneficial to read it.

This.
Doesn't make much sense to me. Not saying it is, but her research can be as biased as she wants and everyone else can choose to ignore it if it is.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Whatever the outcome, it seems like a very worthwhile endeavor. If women suffer trauma because they can't get an abortion in 30 minutes or less, we need to know that.
(11-13-2015, 11:10 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Whatever the outcome, it seems like a very worthwhile endeavor.  If women suffer trauma because they can't get an abortion in 30 minutes or less, we need to know that.

Or is women suffer trauma from being forced to wait by politicians...not doctors...we need to know that too.
(11-13-2015, 11:37 PM)GMDino Wrote: Or is women suffer trauma from being forced to wait by politicians...not doctors...we need to know that too.

Yeah, no.

I'm not going to say we should ban abortion.  And I'm not saying nearly all women don't struggle with this decision.  But I don't view the fetus as a parasite, either.  And if it's not going to have a right to life, I'm at least going to grant it 3 days of a complete passive advocacy on its behalf.

If it saves one life....where have I heard arguments like that before?
(11-13-2015, 11:42 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Yeah, no.

I'm not going to say we should ban abortion.  And I'm not saying nearly all women don't struggle with this decision.  But I don't view the fetus as a parasite, either.  And if it's not going to have a right to life, I'm at least going to grant it 3 days of a complete passive advocacy on its behalf.

If it saves one life....where have I heard arguments like that before?

What?

Rolleyes
(11-14-2015, 12:10 AM)GMDino Wrote: What?

Rolleyes

I'm saying it's a serious decision, one that involves more than a "parasite"...waiting 3 days isn't harmful, it's responsibility.  I don't support drive thru abortions.
(11-14-2015, 12:19 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: I'm saying it's a serious decision, one that involves more than a "parasite"...waiting 3 days isn't harmful, it's responsibility.  I don't support drive thru abortions.

Hyperbole much?

I thought the one thing that most pro-lifers and pro-choicers could agree on is if it is going to happen (abortion that is), the sooner the better.  But now you want people to go through out an arbitrary waiting period?  Hell why not a week? How about two weeks?  How long of a waiting period do you want people (that you don't know) to go through to make a decision that affects you in no way?
(11-14-2015, 02:50 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Hyperbole much?

I thought the one thing that most pro-lifers and pro-choicers could agree on is if it is going to happen (abortion that is), the sooner the better.  But now you want people to go through out an arbitrary waiting period?  Hell why not a week? How about two weeks?  How long of a waiting period do you want people (that you don't know) to go through to make a decision that affects you in no way?

I'm not sure a waiting period is such a bad idea. More time to get information to prevent an abortion, for those who are on the fence.. more information isn't a bad thing.. I can think we both agree on that notion.