Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking forward to get a reaction from the board
Video is 67 years old, but curious to get reactions based on today's world.   Thanks for your response.  

How relevant/irrelevant is this today?    What kind of effect would this have if it was shown in schools today?  

Please leave the insults aside there is no need to be snarky to anyone.  

Watched for about a minute and a half. Got too bored. Those narrators in the 40's and 50's really put me to sleep.
Best part was at the end when it warned against turning people against each other based on race or religion. That is why it is so annoying to hear you use negative racial stereotypes to describe every member of certain races and religions. Or when I hear others on here preaching from the gospel of Ayn Rand and claiming that every lower class person is too lazy to work. Or when I hear all the people supporting the lies Donald Trumps spews about immigrants.

You guys are the ones destroying our country.
(08-04-2015, 10:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Best part was at the end when it warned against turning people against each other based on race or religion.  That is why it is so annoying to hear you use negative racial stereotypes to describe every member of certain races and religions. Or when I hear others on here preaching from the gospel of Ayn Rand and claiming that every lower class person is too lazy to work. Or when I hear all the people supporting the lies Donald Trumps spews about immigrants.

Clapping
(08-04-2015, 10:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Best part was at the end when it warned against turning people against each other based on race or religion.  That is why it is so annoying to hear you use negative racial stereotypes to describe every member of certain races and religions. Or when I hear others on here preaching from the gospel of Ayn Rand and claiming that every lower class person is too lazy to work. Or when I hear all the people supporting the lies Donald Trumps spews about immigrants.

To be fair, they probably just meant white and christian. Just look at the representatives in the video. Coincidence that they "bad guy" is the only dark skinned one? 

I find the video amusing because I've found that people usually associate the propaganda machine with fascist Germany or communist Russia. The video goes to show that the US wasn't any better than the other two, it was just feeding the public unicorns and rainbows about capitalism instead of another -ism. It's a pretty standard propaganda piece. Did it prop whatever it supports with some bogus logic? Check. Did it play to the fears of the population with some bogus claims? Check. 

The video shows how people are still stuck in the 1940s mindset, and refuse to catch up to the rest of the world. 

We're all to blame for falling into the mindset of thumping our chests and claiming superiority.
We dwell on differences, when there are so many similarities that could be pulling us together.
We need a culture change and we need it fast.
(08-05-2015, 01:10 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: We're all to blame for falling into the mindset of thumping our chests and claiming superiority.
We dwell on differences,  when there are so many similarities that could be pulling us together.
We need a culture change and we need it fast.

Well said mate.
(08-05-2015, 12:34 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: To be fair, they probably just meant white and christian. Just look at the representatives in the video. Coincidence that they "bad guy" is the only dark skinned one? 

I find the video amusing because I've found that people usually associate the propaganda machine with fascist Germany or communist Russia. The video goes to show that the US wasn't any better than the other two, it was just feeding the public unicorns and rainbows about capitalism instead of another -ism. It's a pretty standard propaganda piece. Did it prop whatever it supports with some bogus logic? Check. Did it play to the fears of the population with some bogus claims? Check. 

The video shows how people are still stuck in the 1940s mindset, and refuse to catch up to the rest of the world. 

The guy was obviously russian. And they are white people.

Obviously there was concern is falling victim to the -ism back then and there still is today . The difference was back then we saw first hand what the -ism did to people. germany, soviets, etc.

Somehow we have forgotten what that way of life really was like... That's the problem woth forgetting history or not being told the correct history.
Things like this make me think about Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson speaking out against "hyphenate Americans" in the sense that we all should just focus on being Americans. Of course, both of them had prejudices and acted on them just like others, and the sentiment expressed there was more about bringing them into the fold rather than seeing each other as equals, but still. If you look on the surface it was a nice sentiment. Smirk
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(08-05-2015, 07:49 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Things like this make me think about Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson speaking out against "hyphenate Americans" in the sense that we all should just focus on being Americans. Of course, both of them had prejudices and acted on them just like others, and the sentiment expressed there was more about bringing them into the fold rather than seeing each other as equals, but still. If you look on the surface it was a nice sentiment. Smirk

Yes it was a nice sentiment. With the best intentions.

Jindal mentions this same thing almost anytime he gets to speak for an extended period of time.