Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: 6 in 10 Americans too scared to share political views
(11-01-2017, 10:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Not from a distance, but behind social media it is must easier. Sure adults have the maturity to shrug off comments, but often times children do not. So when they see adults doing it to each other on social media they think it is the right thing to do. Perhaps you should concern yourself a little more about insults. Just because you have the special ability of shrugging them off doesn't mean everyone possesses your special power.  

Social media makes everything a lot easier, so what?  Hell, being on the internet also makes it easier for me to claim that none of you would have the nerve to insult me to my face.  But like I said, being insulted requires a certain amount of respect you need to give the opinion of the one doing the insulting that I just can't muster.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-01-2017, 10:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You couldn't be more wrong. 

Hmm.  Just what I read somewhere I guess.   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-01-2017, 10:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Social media makes everything a lot easier, so what?  

That was the point I was making, glad you agree. Dino thinks differently. 

And as i said just because you have the special power not to be insulted by an insult doesn't mean everyone does; nor does it mean kids do not parrot what they see. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-01-2017, 11:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: Hmm.  Just what I read somewhere I guess.   Mellow

Actually it was something you said you thought. 

(11-01-2017, 10:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I didn't ask you would you tell someone they said something racist or homophobic; I asked you would you be quick to call someone a racist or homophobe.

I take you at your word that you would be just as quick to do so as you do in this forum. 

A lot of verbal gymnastics here.

"quick"?

I'm not sure if you think I have called someone racist or homophobic too "quickly" or not.  Rest assured if I did it was based on more than one sentence/statement.

So "just as quick" doesn't mean what you might think it means.

Like the thread was about originally, some people aren't afraid to share their political beliefs.  Those people shouldn't be afraid that someone might not only disagree but also call them a racist for saying racist things.  That's why I said earlier in the thread that people should stop tiptoeing around what they want to say just because they're afraid of the repercussions.  If someone wants to be a white nationalist then be it.  But don't act surprised when other people say you're a racist.  If someone wants to complain about anything other than straight people getting rights then say it.  But don't act surprised or offended when other people think you're homophobic.   Call me a liberal.  Call me whatever.  I'll state my opinion and argue for it.  If I think someone has labeled me wrong I'll argue that too.  But the constant stream of crap about anyone getting better treatment around here due simply to political views is just that: crap.

I'm pretty sure we're all adults.  Sometimes even adults can be petty and say stupid things.  Sometimes emotions get in the way of logic and discussion.

And sometimes we just have to put on our big boy pants and deal with it.

Rock On
(11-01-2017, 11:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That was the point I was making, glad you agree. Dino thinks differently. 

And as i said just because you have the special power not to be insulted by an insult doesn't mean everyone does; nor does it mean kids do not parrot what they see. 

I don't disagree that social media and the anonymity of the internet makes it easier for people to be tough guys.

I disagree that I personally wouldn't tell someone they were a racist if they kept saying racist things.

Two different statements.  Thanks.
(11-01-2017, 11:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: That was the point I was making, glad you agree. Dino thinks differently. 

Oh I agree with you, I just think things are looking pretty bleak for our society since we elected someone based in no small part to the fact that he isn't afraid to insult and offend.  Kids parrot things, indeed.
(11-01-2017, 11:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually it was something you said you thought. 

Based on things I've read...somewhere.  Thanks.
(11-01-2017, 11:12 PM)GMDino Wrote: Based on things I've read...somewhere.  Thanks.

and I told you that you could not be more wrong. But if you are influenced about things you've "read somewhere" I recommend you do your own research. 

(11-01-2017, 11:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: and I told you that you could not be more wrong. But if you are influenced about things you've "read somewhere" I recommend you do your own research. 

I figured it was wrong.  I thought I read it somewhere.  Oh well.

Cool
(11-01-2017, 11:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: and I told you that you could not be more wrong. But if you are influenced about things you've "read somewhere" I recommend you do your own research. 

What are we actually debating here?  Is it about the impact being insulted has on kids, or what?
(11-01-2017, 11:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: But the constant stream of crap about anyone getting better treatment around here due simply to political views is just that: crap.

Not sure it's a constant stream, but it is a reality and it's not that hard to see. 

(11-01-2017, 11:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What are we actually debating here?  Is it about the impact being insulted has on kids, or what?

Yes. Dino said he thought is was good for kids to bully them and call them names. I simply told him this was incorrect. 

(11-01-2017, 11:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes. Dino said he thought is was good for kids to bully them and call them names. I simply told him this was incorrect. 

I think he was being facetious because certain old school thinking is that kids need to be insulted, get in fights, and get beaten up by their parents and other kids in order to become tough/responsible/not liberal wimps.

Honestly, I could complain that I'd be more of a success if I weren't bullied as a kid and teen but that would be a bunch of excuse making and whining on my part.  It's just human nature to divide into factions and then insult/attack people who aren't of your ilk.  

Anyways, I should get to bed. I just realized I wouldn't be arguing with you if we were in person, so it's all moot.
(11-01-2017, 11:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote:  

Anyways, I should get to bed.  I just realized I wouldn't be arguing with you if we were in person, so it's all moot.

Hell, I didn't realize we were arguing. Perhaps you felt insulted by something I said; my apologies. Sleep tight. 

(11-01-2017, 11:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes. Dino said he thought is was good for kids to bully them and call them names. I simply told him this was incorrect. 

I'm sure 'someone' will cry foul about this as they did to my last direct response to you, but you're feigning ignorance yet again. Anyone who has read this sub for some time has heard Lucy talking about bullying being a good thing. You know this. Stop being obtuse.
(11-01-2017, 11:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell, I didn't realize we were arguing. Perhaps you felt insulted by something I said; my apologies. Sleep tight. 

'Someone' felt insulted by my response to you. Clinch up and sleep tighter tough guy.
(11-01-2017, 11:33 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think he was being facetious because certain old school thinking is that kids need to be insulted, get in fights, and get beaten up by their parents and other kids in order to become tough/responsible/not liberal wimps.

Honestly, I could complain that I'd be more of a success if I weren't bullied as a kid and teen but that would be a bunch of excuse making and whining on my part.  It's just human nature to divide into factions and then insult/attack people who aren't of your ilk.  

Anyways, I should get to bed.  I just realized I wouldn't be arguing with you if we were in person, so it's all moot.

(11-02-2017, 01:31 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I'm sure 'someone' will cry foul about this as they did to my last direct response to you, but you're feigning ignorance yet again.   Anyone who has read this sub for some time has heard Lucy talking about bullying being a good thing.  You know this.  Stop being obtuse.

Cool
(11-02-2017, 01:33 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: 'Someone' felt insulted by my response to you.  Clinch up and sleep tighter tough guy.

I can tell you who it wasn't,

(11-02-2017, 01:31 AM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I'm sure 'someone' will cry foul about this as they did to my last direct response to you, but you're feigning ignorance yet again.   Anyone who has read this sub for some time has heard Lucy talking about bullying being a good thing.  You know this.  Stop being obtuse.

Of course I was feigning ignorance; however, it was in direct response to someone else feigning their thoughts, but it appears you only had issue with the latter.

I did not find your last response foul. Illogical and off topic yes, but not foul.