Poll: Poll: Which former Bengal "Bust" career would you most like to get a "do over" for?
This poll is closed.
Odell Thurman
15.15%
10 15.15%
Greg Cook
31.82%
21 31.82%
Ki-Jana Carter
9.09%
6 9.09%
John Copeland
1.52%
1 1.52%
Chris Perry
1.52%
1 1.52%
David Pollack
16.67%
11 16.67%
Peter Warrick
9.09%
6 9.09%
Dave Rimington
1.52%
1 1.52%
Akili Smith
6.06%
4 6.06%
David Klingler
0%
0 0%
Archie Griffin
1.52%
1 1.52%
Jack Thompson
1.52%
1 1.52%
Rickey Hunley
0%
0 0%
Rickey Dixon
1.52%
1 1.52%
Other (Specific)
3.03%
2 3.03%
Total 66 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: Which former Bengal "Bust" career would you most like to get a "do over" for?
(05-19-2018, 10:57 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Easily Greg Cook.  The original "what if" of Bengals lore.  Who knows how Bengals history could have been written, had he been able to enjoy a long career?

Yes ! Hands Down Greg Cook. As you say the saga of the franchise most probably would have been totally different. How might the Bengals be different today had we won a couple Super Bowls in the 70's ? Perhaps B. Walsh wouldn't have left and on and on.

He was before my time but I've heard from several sources that he was a no doubt super star in the making and he showed it that first season.

Who's to say how the trickle down would have altered the Bengals fate ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 06:19 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes ! Hands Down Greg Cook. As you say the saga of the franchise most probably would have been totally different. How might the Bengals be different today had we won a couple Super Bowls in the 70's ? Perhaps B. Walsh wouldn't have left and on and on.

He was before my time but I've heard from several sources that he was a no doubt super star in the making and he showed it that first season.

Who's to say how the trickle down would have altered the Bengals fate ?

He was a bit before my time, as well.  (born in '69)    Wyche's Warrior turned me onto an ESPN documentary on Greg Cook, a couple years ago.  I can't remember if it was a 30 for 30 type, or what.  Anyway, it was very informative and highly enlightening.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 02:44 AM)Shepdawg Wrote: If you could somehow go back in time and "resurrect" one former Bengals career that was a "bust" for whatever reason, injury included, which Bengal would it be?  You get to exchange that players actual career with one that could be considered borderline HOF, maybe not a first ballot shoe in, but certainly in the discussion.  In other words much closer to the career you thought they would have had.

Greg Cook was not a bust, just an injury that today would not have ended his career. Bill Walsh said he would have been the best QB in NFL history.

I voted for Akili Smith because the do-over would be to take the Saint's trade offer and get all those picks.

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 07:14 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Greg Cook was not a bust, just an injury that today would not have ended his career. Bill Walsh said he would have been the best QB in NFL history.

I voted for Akili Smith because the do-over would be to take the Saint's trade offer and get all those picks.

The OP clearly included injuries in the premise for this thread.

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 05:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Dude was all pro at drinking gatorade on the sidelines though. 

Seriously, i went to a lot of games in the 90's and i'd watching him drink cup after cup of the stuff while standing on the sidelines. 

Well, the Bengal wouldn't give it away in bottles so he had to nab that free shit where he could.

As many have said, Cook was also before my time, but I would have to pick him as well. Imagine if the Bengals' story in the '70s had been akin to that of the Dolphins, winning a couple of Super Bowls and always in the mix.  At least we'd have those old, grainy SB highlight films to enjoy every February.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 07:55 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Well, the Bengal wouldn't give it away in bottles so he had to nab that free shit where he could.

As many have said, Cook was also before my time, but I would have to pick him as well. Imagine if the Bengals' story in the '70s had been akin to that of the Dolphins, winning a couple of Super Bowls and always in the mix.  At least we'd have those old, grainy SB highlight films to enjoy every February.  

Man...ain't it great being a Bengals fan? All the 'what ifs' over the last 50 years.  Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
A lot of those guys just were not that good, but KiJana Carter was special

At Penn State he averaged 7.8 yds per carry his senior year and 7.2 for his career.

He scored 34 career rushing tds on just 395 carries.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 11:35 AM)3wt Wrote: But if I could just change the pick it would be Copeland.   Could have had Willie Roaf - all pro left tackle who could pass protect and totally pancake folks in the running game.   Copeland was a whiff.

Absolutely not.

Guy was one of the best run stuffing DEs, his entire career.

He and Wilkinson were the only good guys on year after year of having bad lines.

Now, maybe he was a reach, but he was more than a good contributor.

I too should have read the thread before posting... Damn Akili.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Some interesting reads for sure. I apologize for not being more clear in the OP for those that misunderstood the poll question. I don't post a lot. Greg Cook was before my time, I was born in 68, so I only know his legend. But I do know many of the greats have said he was among the best ever if not for the injury. How would the Bengals history read with a few Super Bowls is a great question.

Ki-Jana Carter is an interesting choice. Not because I doubt how good he could have been if not for the injury, but because if Ki-Jana Carter pans out, then the Bengals likely don't draft Corey Dillon in the 2nd round 2 years later in 1997. I'm not sure how much better off the Bengals would have been with a healthy Carter over Dillon. Dillon is essentially the type of player I was saying in the OP to change their careers with. A borderline HOF.

I would have voted Chris Perry over Ki-Jana Carter. I'm thinking if Chris Perry had a Steven Jackson type of career, then we likely don't sign Cedric Benson. While Benson was more than serviceable and had some pretty good years here, he was no Steven Jackson. We all remember Cedric Benson's limitations. Could have a Healthy and as good as advertised Chris Perry have made the difference in the Bengals winning a few more games and perhaps a playoff game or more?
Reply/Quote
I'd like to have Cook in an era when they could actually fix his knee. I'd go with Odell second. He was so much fun to watch. He might not have been as football-smart as Vontaze, but his athleticism was worlds ahead of 55. He could thump the shit out of a ballcarrier, too. Loved watching him in his brief time here.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 12:09 AM)Shepdawg Wrote: Some interesting reads for sure.    I apologize for not being more clear in the OP for those that misunderstood the poll question.  I don't post a lot. Greg Cook was before my time, I was born in 68, so I only know his legend.  But I do know many of the greats have said he was among the best ever if not for the injury.  How would the Bengals history read with a few Super Bowls is a great question.

Ki-Jana Carter is an interesting choice.  Not because I doubt how good he could have been if not for the injury, but because if Ki-Jana Carter pans out, then the Bengals likely don't draft Corey Dillon in the 2nd round 2 years later in 1997.  I'm not sure how much better off the Bengals would have been with a healthy Carter over Dillon.  Dillon is essentially the type of player I was saying in the OP to change their careers with.  A borderline HOF.

I would have voted Chris Perry over Ki-Jana Carter.  I'm thinking if Chris Perry had a Steven Jackson type of career, then we likely don't sign Cedric Benson.  While Benson was more than serviceable and had some pretty good years here, he was no Steven Jackson.  We all remember Cedric Benson's limitations.  Could have a Healthy and as good as advertised Chris Perry have made the difference in the Bengals winning a few more games and perhaps a playoff game or more?

Fair point on Dillon, but by the time we took him, the Blake magic was running out and the franchise was moving on. 95 would've been the perfect time for a stud RB. I think we would've made the playoffs a couple times, but with that defense, we probably wouldn't have gotten very far.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Always going to be a bunch of woulda coulda shoulda's. You can't unring the bell though..
I think of guys like Icky.. Had he not blown out his knee...? There's probably plenty of late round picks and UDFA's who were injured or just gave up too early nobody ever got to see and might have gone on to greatness. Mike Ried retired early to play music instead so we'll never know what he might have done had he stayed in football.. Life is full of missed opportunities.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Carson Palmer. Dude was lighting it up just about every game then.... Steelers in the playoffs (a game I was at).
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't put him in the bust category but if there's a 'do-over' to be had.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 08:32 AM)EatonFan Wrote: Carson Palmer. Dude was lighting it up just about every game then.... Steelers in the playoffs (a game I was at).

That’s actually a good one. If Palmer doesn’t get injured and we beat the Steelers we probably could have won the Super Bowl that year. I doubt the 7-9 Seahawks would have beat us with the offense we had.

2015 was every bit as heartbreaking, but 05 really hurts when you think about the what if...

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 08:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Man...ain't it great being a Bengals fan? All the 'what ifs' over the last 50 years.  Mellow

Changing the slogan from “Who Dey” to “What If.”

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 09:03 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s actually a good one. If Palmer doesn’t get injured and we beat the Steelers we probably could have won the Super Bowl that year. I doubt the 7-9 Seahawks would have beat us with the offense we had.

2015 was every bit as heartbreaking, but 05 really hurts when you think about the what if...

You're not the only one who thinks they could have won it all that year... I just don't see how they could've beat the Colts IF they had gotten by Pittsburgh. They never beat Manning until he was a shell of himself.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 11:20 AM)jason Wrote: You're not the only one who thinks they could have won it all that year... I just don't see how they could've beat the Colts IF they had gotten by Pittsburgh. They never beat Manning until he was a shell of himself.

We only lost to them by one score in that crazy shootout game (45-37) that year. Who knows how the rematch would have went down.

Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 09:03 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s actually a good one. If Palmer doesn’t get injured and we beat the Steelers we probably could have won the Super Bowl that year. I doubt the 7-9 Seahawks would have beat us with the offense we had.

If only Steinbach had played all the way through the whistle on that play, we likely would be having different conversations.  Mellow

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 11:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We only lost to them by one score in that crazy shootout game (45-37) that year. Who knows how the rematch would have went down.

It would probably have been a shootout again and would come down to who had the ball last. We had very similar teams both were offensive juggernauts with finesse defenses who relied on turnovers. Sure the Colts had Peyton Manning, Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, and Marvin Harrison but we had Carson Palmer who was playing like a franchise QB, Chad Johnson, T.J., Chris Henry, Rudi Johnson and a great O-line. I would have loved to see that mathchup and always think of that 2005 team and what could have been if Palmer didn’t get hurt and if Core guys like Thurman and Henry could have stayed clean and what if Pollack never broke his neck the following year.
Reply/Quote