Poll: Poll: Which former Bengal "Bust" career would you most like to get a "do over" for?
This poll is closed.
Odell Thurman
15.15%
10 15.15%
Greg Cook
31.82%
21 31.82%
Ki-Jana Carter
9.09%
6 9.09%
John Copeland
1.52%
1 1.52%
Chris Perry
1.52%
1 1.52%
David Pollack
16.67%
11 16.67%
Peter Warrick
9.09%
6 9.09%
Dave Rimington
1.52%
1 1.52%
Akili Smith
6.06%
4 6.06%
David Klingler
0%
0 0%
Archie Griffin
1.52%
1 1.52%
Jack Thompson
1.52%
1 1.52%
Rickey Hunley
0%
0 0%
Rickey Dixon
1.52%
1 1.52%
Other (Specific)
3.03%
2 3.03%
Total 66 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll: Which former Bengal "Bust" career would you most like to get a "do over" for?
Chris Perry. I could be wrong, but it seemed like every time he touched the ball he was getting 10+ yards
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 01:01 PM)jorev5 Wrote: Chris Perry.  I could be wrong, but it seemed like every time he touched the ball he was getting 10+ yards

Ok, I just looked up his stats, and he was not as impressive as I remember.  
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 11:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We only lost to them by one score in that crazy shootout game (45-37) that year. Who knows how the rematch would have went down.

It really didn't feel that close. We kicked a FG with one minute left. It was an 11 point lead before that. 

Nevermind that this game was at PBS and the rematch would've been in the dome in Indy. 

This is all assuming Palmer would've seen no drop off in the playoffs. I know what we feel in our hearts, but I also know what we've actually seen.

2009 Palmer was healthy as a horse and dropped a 58.3 rating in the playoffs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 01:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Nah, Palmer was never the same after the injury. Don’t care what the stats say on that one.

Feel like the elbow injury was way more impactful then the ACL injury. They were taking about him having Tommy John surgery on his throwing elbow. From what I remember Palmer bounced back from the ACL in 06 putting up big numbers are defense just sucked with the Pollack injury, Thurman suspensions, remember them not being able to stop anyone.
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 01:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It really didn't feel that close. We kicked a FG with one minute left. It was an 11 point lead before that. 

Nevermind that this game was at PBS and the rematch would've been in the dome in Indy. 

This is all assuming Palmer would've seen no drop off in the playoffs. I know what we feel in our hearts, but I also know what we've actually seen.

2009 Palmer was healthy as a horse and dropped a 58.3 rating in the playoffs.

Well, he DID have a broken thumb...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 09:34 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Well, he DID have a broken thumb...

Sprained thumb on his non-throwing hand. 

I guess horses can't sprain their thumbs though. Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I chose Carter because of timing. I think it woul've impacted the most prime years of my fanhood. When we drafted Carter, I think everyone thought was going to be a stud, and the poor dude doesnt even get to play in a regular season game before he has a life-changing injury to his knee. He came back but I dont think he was the same as he would've been. I would've loved to see him become a 10 year starting, All Pro caliber RB.
Reply/Quote
Pollack. Not really a bust just a career ruined by a freak injury.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
While I am on board with everyone and the Cook pick should be it but if you want to exclude him for being an injury, it has to be Akili Smith, but only because of what could have been. If we just accepted the Saints deal for a boat load of picks, who knows what we could have turned them into. Instead we stuck with Smith and he turned out to be a major flop.
Reply/Quote
Few comments

--Bengals in the mid '09's were a .500 team.  A healthy Ki-Jana Carter could have pushed them into the playoffs

--'05 Bengals team was not a legit Super Bowl contender.  Not enough defense.

--Chris Perry was a lot better RB than many people here want to give him credit for, but he would not have helped the decline of the '05 Bengals.  Here is what happened to them.  We had one of the best O-lines in the entire league in '05.  In '06 Steinbach leaves in free agency, Braham gets injured and retires, and Levi gets an injury that he never fully recovers from.  The next year Willie gets injured and never fully recovers.  In just two years we went from the best in the league to plugging in scrubs.
Reply/Quote
biggest bust..Mike Browns career and track record as GM
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2018, 11:03 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Few comments

--Bengals in the mid '09's were a .500 team.  A healthy Ki-Jana Carter could have pushed them into the playoffs

--'05 Bengals team was not a legit Super Bowl contender.  Not enough defense.

--Chris Perry was a lot better RB than many people here want to give him credit for, but he would not have helped the decline of the '05 Bengals.  Here is what happened to them.  We had one of the best O-lines in the entire league in '05.  In '06 Steinbach leaves in free agency, Braham gets injured and retires, and Levi gets an injury that he never fully recovers from.  The next year Willie gets injured and never fully recovers.  In just two years we went from the best in the league to plugging in scrubs.

They didn’t need a lot of defense. That offense was capable of dropping 30+ points in any given game (they did it 6 times that year).

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2018, 06:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They didn’t need a lot of defense. That offense was capable of dropping 30+ points in any given game (they did it 6 times that year).

Their defense gave up at least 31 points in 5 of thier last 8 games and they lost 4 of them.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2018, 06:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Their defense gave up at least 31 points in 5 of thier last 8 games and they lost 4 of them.

Did we even play our starters in the last game though? I can’t remember, but the score looks like we didn’t.

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2018, 06:18 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They didn’t need a lot of defense. That offense was capable of dropping 30+ points in any given game (they did it 6 times that year).

Partially thanks to that maligned defense, which had a league-leading 44 turnovers for 335 yards. 

They constantly gave that offense help. Really, they were only bad in 4 games, when they gave up a ton of points. They only had 3 bad yardage games. Now I'm not saying they were the 85 Bears, but I think people are a bit rough on that defense. Those turnovers helped the offense a lot more than most will admit, and they mostly kept it close.

10 games of 23 points allowed or less 
6 games of 17 points allowed or less
Held opponents to 377 yards or less 13 times
Held opponents to 270 yards or less 5 times
44 turnovers for 335 yards constantly put offense in position to score more (easy) points

They were a big plus that year, IMO.
Reply/Quote
I chose Thurman. He had great talent but just couldn't/wouldn't stay out of trouble.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 11:49 AM)GreenDragon Wrote: The league made an example out of Odell Thurman. He never had a shot to comeback after his suspensions.

why do they use our LBers as examples?  
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2018, 12:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You all know that I am usually the guy saying we need to give kids second chances when they mess up, but Thurman was hopeless.  He just never got it.  In college he messed up multiple times before they kicked him off the team for a full season and then when they let him come back for his final year he got kicked off again.  Then he just kept messing up in the NFL.

I think he needed help. They could have gotten it for him.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 04:22 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: why do they use our LBers as examples?  

The Bengals aren't one of the league's preferred teams. The league itself has obvious biases. 
Reply/Quote
(05-20-2018, 11:53 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: We only lost to them by one score in that crazy shootout game (45-37) that year. Who knows how the rematch would have went down.
One score? You mean we coulda gotten an 8 point TD? That's including the 2 pt conversion which is something mightily rare for Marvinball.. 3 ton carnival goldfish are easier to  come by and yet not beyond the realm of possibility  .  Ninja
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote