Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pollack Press Conference
Tongue 
It is a good listen. The undersized player he was talking about was Jonah Williams who gained 10lbs. He had some good things to say about Reilly Reiff as well. It is almost impossible to hear the questions but you can get the gist of most of them

and a look at the bigger and hopefully stronger Jonah

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
He sure seems to think there's a lot of talent in the o-line room.
Reply/Quote
10 lbs on a guy who weighs over 300 lbs is nothing.

I'd like to see the increases in his strength numbers.

At one point in my life I got stronger while losing weight. The two are not always connected.

*note* This is not a knock on Jonah at all. Just making a general comment.
Reply/Quote
A lot of people that are still giving our O-Line a hard time seem to have forgotten that the biggest change we made to the team was getting rid of Turner and bringing Pollack back.
A lot of people are going to get a surprise with our O-Line, I'm not saying they are going to be great as they only need to be competent. That will then allow the rest of out offence to score a lot of points
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 07:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 10 lbs on a guy who weighs over 300 lbs is nothing.

At one point in my life I got stronger while losing weight.  The two are not always connected.

*note*  This is not a knock on Jonah at all.  Just making a general comment.

Agree but it did say that Pollack told him to add strength and size, hopefully he did just that.

Not as optimistic as Pollack about O-line but hope I'm wrong and he is right.

He could be too if everything pans out. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 07:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 10 lbs on a guy who weighs over 300 lbs is nothing.

At one point in my life I got stronger while losing weight.  The two are not always connected.

A young athlete versus a sedentary attorney are two completely different things, kind of an apples to oranges comparison..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 08:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A young athlete versus a sedentary attorney are two completely different things, kind of an apples to oranges comparison..

You know I just spent 10 minutes cleaning up the coffee table because I spit my drink out laughing my ass off from your comment. 

WARN us next time!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 08:15 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree but it did say that Pollack told him to add strength and size, hopefully he did just that.

Not as optimistic as Pollack about O-line but hope I'm wrong and he is right.

He could be too if everything pans out. 

They were addressing the bull rush. He said Jonah was plenty strong enough to handle the bull if he got set perfectly.... adding a little bit of weight means he can do it without being perfect and has more room for error. Makes perfect sense to me. 
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 10:46 AM)Sled21 Wrote: They were addressing the bull rush. He said Jonah was plenty strong enough to handle the bull if he got set perfectly.... adding a little bit of weight means he can do it without being perfect and has more room for error. Makes perfect sense to me. 

Agree as well and was only pointing out to Fred that Pollack had told him to add strength too.

Guess I did not convey that message with very much clarity.

Think his frame could add 15 or 20 in next few years as long as its done the right way. Just as long as he does not become cumbersome at LT, but mostly he looks naturally big as opposed to just bulked up. Heck my calves are bigger than his so think he will stay nimble and as svelte as a big guy possibly can with this amount of weight added.

To set the record straight, I am a big fan of Jonah's and expecting a breakout season as long as he does not become our next Tyler Eifert.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(07-30-2021, 08:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A young athlete versus a sedentary attorney are two completely different things, kind of an apples to oranges comparison..

Former University of Tennessee DT Turk McBride did when preparing for the NFL draft.

It really is not that uncommon.  Ask someone who knows about physical fitness and weightlifting.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 11:35 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Agree as well and was only pointing out to Fred that Pollack had told him to add strength too.

Guess I did not convey that message with very much clarity.

Think his frame could add 15 or 20 in next few years as long as its done the right way. Just as long as he does not become cumbersome at LT, but mostly he looks naturally big as opposed to just bulked up. Heck my calves are bigger than his so think he will stay nimble and as svelte as a big guy possibly can with this amount of weight added.

To set the record straight, I am a big fan of Jonah's and expecting a breakout season as long as he does not become our next Tyler Eifert.
I find it strange he had to tell him. Seems like it would be common sense to do on your own for a guy that is a little undersized
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 12:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Former University of Tennessee DT Turk McBride did when preparing for the NFL draft.

It really is not that uncommon.  Ask someone who knows about physical fitness and weightlifting.

This can definitely happen but usually one is not already solid and has some flab to lose. 

Not saying that was the case in yours or other weight lifters whose only goal is lifting strength, but don't think weight loss on NFL lineman is conducive for success. 

What Pollack is asking is about on par with the best out there

David Bakhtiari....... 6'4" 310
Trent Williams ........6'5" 320
Ronnie Stanley.......6'6"  315
Lawremy Tunsil ....6'5" 318
Lane Johnson ......6'6" 317
Duane Brown ......6"4" 315
Andrew Whitworth 6'7" 330 
Mekhi Becton ........6'7" 363

On your side of argument you would definitely have Garrett Bolles at 6"5" 300 and a few others not quite as good. Yet not many and much more on the average of what is listed which seems to the 315 range where Jonah will land with 10lbs added. 
Just think what is being asked is the norm for NFL LT's and really don't think a LT in this day and age is going to be great weighing under 300lbs. 
Seems Pollack does not either. 

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Frank Pollack is just the type of coach I like. No nonsense and teaches his players to play free but with technique.

Love hearing about Jonah adding the weight he needed to handle the bullrushers and also loved hearing about what Frank
had to say about Riley, very high praise. Think adding Carman, D'Ante and Trey Hill to the room helps us big time depth wise.

If anyone can coach Jordan into staying low it is Pollack. Great PC. Thanks Pally. Cool
Reply/Quote

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4709plp8o4mfpvdpyeds...y.gif&ct=g]

Hilarious

I'm pretty sure that Pollack and the players know what kind of weight they're adding and how they're doing it better than some personal story that has nothing to  do with NFL football...........

ThumbsUp

I love this because Pollack being excited about players getting in shape and the players working hard to get to where the coaches want and where they're at their best can only mean good things, especially since it's on the line, which is the biggest question mark for this team.

Not too much longer before we get the first glimpses of how much the line has improved!
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 02:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Frank Pollack is just the type of coach I like. No nonsense and teaches his players to play free but with technique.

Love hearing about Jonah adding the weight he needed to handle the bullrushers and also loved hearing about what Frank
had to say about Riley, very high praise. Think adding Carman, D'Ante and Trey Hill to the room helps us big time depth wise.

If anyone can coach Jordan into staying low it is Pollack. Great PC. Thanks Pally. Cool

Our line is the only thing that's keeping us from having a dangerous offense, so hopefully Pollack can work his magic and have them performing to at least an average level.  

Open some holes and give Burrow a little bit of time and I'll crown Pollack as king of Cincinnati ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 06:00 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Our line is the only thing that's keeping us from having a dangerous offense, so hopefully Pollack can work his magic and have them performing to at least an average level.  

Open some holes and give Burrow a little bit of time and I'll crown Pollack as king of Cincinnati ThumbsUp

I wouldn’t say it’s the only thing. The guy calling the plays still has a lot to prove.

Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 06:03 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wouldn’t say it’s the only thing. The guy calling the plays still has a lot to prove.

True but I'm just hoping that Mixon being as good of a runner as he is, Burrow and Chase's connection, and then Higgins, Boyd, Tate, and our tight ends can be such good weapons that it's very hard to mess up with play calling.
Reply/Quote
(07-31-2021, 06:07 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: True but I'm just hoping that Mixon being as good of a runner as he is, Burrow and Chase's connection, and then Higgins, Boyd, Tate, and our tight ends can be such good weapons that it's very hard to mess up with play calling.

You would think…

Reply/Quote

(07-31-2021, 12:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Former University of Tennessee DT Turk McBride did when preparing for the NFL draft.

What in the hell does Turk McBride have to do with you comparing yourself to a young NFL Tackle?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Cant believe there is some on.this board that was actually
Against the hiring of Frank Pollack this year.
His resume reflects his ability to get the most out of olinemen
And the ability to get them understand what is trying to teach
Reply/Quote