Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pollack's thoughts about the O-line
I think unless sewell is there they will go jamar chase 1st round but they will look for a o lineman in the 2nd or 3rd round. Also I think they will sign a free agent o lineman or two.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 05:14 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He knows more than we do. Perhaps he has been filled on on free agency and draft plans. Maybe we are closer in his eyes as the promise of a FA guard is on the table.

Or, perhaps he has seen the tape and sees what many of us see... capable bodies with improper coaching. He sees this as correctable, and closer than far.

This.  And, no, I don't want Mike Jordan starting next year, but I do believe they have some capable athletes and a guy like Adeniji could come along nicely with the right coaching.  They will need at least two new pieces on the line next year, and I am not very comfortable with Price starting at Center if Hopkins isn't ready.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 06:33 AM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: I think unless sewell is there they will go jamar chase 1st round but they will look for a o lineman in the 2nd or 3rd round. Also I think they will sign a free agent o lineman or two.

I haven't been keeping up with the draft mocks much yet, but if we don't get Sewell, would Davonte Smith be there at 5? If so, I'd probably look at taking him. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 11:52 AM)Wyche Wrote: I haven't been keeping up with the draft mocks much yet, but if we don't get Sewell, would Davonte Smith be there at 5? If so, I'd probably look at taking him. 

He probably would have been prior to the game the other night. Now I'd say it's a crapshoot. We will be able to get Sewell, Chase or Smith though, any of which would be great.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 12:13 PM)Sled21 Wrote: He probably would have been prior to the game the other night. Now I'd say it's a crapshoot. We will be able to get Sewell, Chase or Smith though, any of which would be great.

Great hands, great radius, and speed kills. If he is there, I'd absolutely pull the trigger. That guy is as complete as I've seen this year in college, and reminds me of AJ Green with how he goes about it. No trash talk, no diva crap, just beats your ass on the field.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 01:07 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: There are two teams ahead of us with young QB’s that need more weapons, NYJ and MIA. There’s a chance Smith and Chase could be gone by our pick, but that would be a good thing because Sewell would likely still be available in that scenario. One of several scenarios that could change with FA, trades and new HC’s.

I just read one that had him going to MIA, with NYJ taking Fields....which put Sewell to us at 5. I'd be down with that for certain.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 02:50 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Over in the draft forum, there’s a thread for posting mock drafts from the “professional” draft sites and pundits. I’ve posted several, like 5 or 6, that have Sewell available for us at 5.

Sewell and Williams at tackles would make me very happy.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 04:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: "We're close" in regards to the OL? Really?
Bengals QBs were sacked 48 times.

Bengals need at least two new OL starters, arguably more.

I would chalk up a LOT of those sacks to situational items.

They didn't run the ball effectively to avoid 3rd and long situations.

They gave up on the run so early that it led to many 3rd and long situations.

(Those two items are one of the reasons I am most optimistic about Pollack....Mixon averaged 4.9 yards per carry under him)

The Bengals lacked a weapon on offense that could generate quick separation, forcing Burrow to hold the ball longer.

They played pitt twice, balt twice, browns twice, philly once, the WFT once, and the Chargers once.  That's nine games that had some of the top pass rushing defenses in the league.   Note how they fared against Tennessee and Jacksonville.  Those teams aren't known for their pass rush and Burrow tore them up.  Of course, they need to get better at not only avoiding the pass rush situations, but handling them.  They showed signs of improvement when they had the line with Spain and XSF at the Guard spots, but still need upgrades there to be a good offensive line.  
Reply/Quote
Also don’t forget the infatuation with the empty backfield plays and also Burrow did hold on to the ball longer some times. These contributed also to the sack totals.
Reply/Quote
We went from a guy who was worse than Paul Alexander, back to one of my favorite hires of the last 15 years. I'm thrilled regardless of what he says. Hopefully we get him a couple more solid pieces and get back to respectability on the line for the first time since 2015.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 12:31 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We went from a guy who was worse than Paul Alexander, back to one of my favorite hires of the last 15 years. I'm thrilled regardless of what he says. Hopefully we get him a couple more solid pieces and get back to respectability on the line for the first time since 2015.

Speaking of Paul Alexander did you know Paul trained Jonah Williams getting him ready for his transition from college to the NFL?
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I was wondering what the hell happened to him....

(rimshot)

I kid, I kid
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 09:53 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: This.  And, no, I don't want Mike Jordan starting next year, but I do believe they have some capable athletes and a guy like Adeniji could come along nicely with the right coaching.  They will need at least two new pieces on the line next year, and I am not very comfortable with Price starting at Center if Hopkins isn't ready.  

I don't want Jordan even being the first OG off the bench. If kept, he needs to be used for emergencies only, ideally inactive on gameday unless there are injuries.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 11:26 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't want Jordan even being the first OG off the bench. If kept, he needs to be used for emergencies only, ideally inactive on gameday unless there are injuries.

sounds like it would be best to keep him on another team then
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 08:49 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Honestly, the guys probably have good skills or they wouldn't have made it to the NFL. However, they could be coached wrong. That's probably the rhetoric behind that statement. I but into a little of it but not most of it.

now that is funny Harley dog.I am still laughing ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 05:10 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: sounds like it would be best to keep him on another team then

Personally, I'm fine removing him. But if the team wants to keep him, I think he needs a lot of work to start again.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2021, 05:39 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: now that is funny Harley dog.I am still laughing ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

[Image: animatedminiongiflaughing_zpsbd2b884c.gif]

Reply/Quote
Bottom line, our 1st round pick is going to rock, because it will be Sewell, Chase or Smith. I prefer Sewell, but won't be disappointed with any of them.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2021, 11:52 AM)Wyche Wrote: I haven't been keeping up with the draft mocks much yet, but if we don't get Sewell, would Davonte Smith be there at 5? If so, I'd probably look at taking him. 

I think he might be took by the dolphins with tua,  I started to like him but people are saying he's small and light weight,and looking at his highlights all the corners do look bigger then him. I couldn't tell jon Ross was small in college either,that's what scares me about him. Not counting he got hurt in the national championship game and couldn't play the 2nd half. 

So I'd rather go jamar chase because he's good as well and has chemistry with Joe burrow. But I'm not going to cry if we drafted Smith. I'll also take Sewell but I'd be worried about our receivers and might expect a not so good season,when tee Higgins and boyd take the top corners then we have nobody else really except tate. Which I haven't been impressed with him. There's a slight chance they could take Kyle Pitts also or another o lineman .but I really don't want to do that. 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 04:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: "We're close" in regards to the OL? Really?
Bengals QBs were sacked 48 times.

Bengals need at least two new OL starters, arguably more.

? I don't see his definition as close meaning they aren't open to adding more players..
I think you're just over reacting a bit there.
Reply/Quote