Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pollack's thoughts about the O-line
Frank Pollack shares his vision and priorities for the Bengals O-line with Jay Morrison:

“You’ve got to protect your quarterback. That’s what everyone is trying to always constantly get better at. We’ve got a good, young quarterback. We’ve got to do everything we can to protect him. That’s Line 1.”

“I had heard nothing but great things about (Taylor), and I liked what he had to say about where he is going with the offense,” Pollack said. “And obviously, the offensive line is a big part of that, what he wanted to do from that standpoint and what he needed help with and how I could be part of the solution to some of those problems he’s trying to solve.”

“We’re close,” he said. “Just based on our conversations there’s a lot there to keep and build on and continue and as I get into understanding a little bit more detail of what they’ve been doing and understanding verbiage and concepts and what they’re doing. What can I do to continue to promote it and build on it or modify on areas I find that need to be modified, but we’re close for sure.”

“They have to love football and part of that is the physicality of it,” he said. “They have to be smart, tough and not so much physically tough (but) mentally tough. It’s a grind to really do this the right way. You have to love the grind. You have to love everything about football. That’s getting up early and working your butt off all day. Especially the offensive linemen. If your mindset is not to be the hardest worker on the team, then this isn’t going to be the group or the team for you.”

“What guys always hear me harp on is that it’s the ultimate team game. You need all 11 guys to buy in, it’s not just the line, it’s not just the running back, it’s everyone involved — receivers to quarterback,” he said. “You need to have all 11 pieces clicking to have any success in the run game. Really that’s the entire facet of offense, passing game or running game. And two, the way I teach and my philosophy is you really have to master the mundane. You’ve got to find a few things, master them, own those and the adjustments off of those and not really be a jack of all trades.

“There are plenty of schemes out there and plenty of ways to skin a cat, but you can’t do them all,” he added. “What fits your players the best? What do you believe in? And where does that mirror up and you’re going to hang your hat on that? And you’ve got to drill and grind the shit out of it. You’ve got to have guys that can handle the monotony of going day in and day out and owning it. Not getting distracted with the new shiny thing that’s over there, that might be great for those guys over there, but it’s not for us. You’ve got to understand that to have success in the league.”
Reply/Quote
Quote:There are plenty of schemes out there and plenty of ways to skin a cat, but you can’t do them all,” he added. “What fits your players the best?"

I like that he acknowledged you have to put the player in a position to be successful.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Now this get's me excited.

Reply/Quote
"We're close" in regards to the OL? Really?
Bengals QBs were sacked 48 times.

Bengals need at least two new OL starters, arguably more.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 04:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: "We're close" in regards to the OL? Really?

no coach is going to walk in the door and say we have to blow the whole thing up

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 04:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: "We're close" in regards to the OL? Really?

He knows more than we do. Perhaps he has been filled on on free agency and draft plans. Maybe we are closer in his eyes as the promise of a FA guard is on the table.

Or, perhaps he has seen the tape and sees what many of us see... capable bodies with improper coaching. He sees this as correctable, and closer than far.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 05:00 PM)pally Wrote: no coach is going to walk in the door and say we have to blow the whole thing up

i thought the first thing he said was we are going to be very active in FA for the OL
But ZT must have the silver tongue
Reply/Quote

There is a certain amount of hedging that has to be done simply because you don't know exactly how FA will play out. The fact Joe Mixon tweeted during the national title game "If we get O line in FA we need to get Smith" tells you all you need to know about what people in the building actually think.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 05:00 PM)pally Wrote: no coach is going to walk in the door and say we have to blow the whole thing up

No, he’s not going to say that but we do have to blow the whole thing up. Frank Pollack understands neither the technique nor the personnel fit what Zac Taylor wants to create. There may be some pieces here and there which can be modified but if I’m reading Frank correctly he’s advocating an entire change of technique especially with respect to run blocking.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 05:14 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He knows more than we do. Perhaps he has been filled on on free agency and draft plans. Maybe we are closer in his eyes as the promise of a FA guard is on the table.

Or, perhaps he has seen the tape and sees what many of us see... capable bodies with improper coaching. He sees this as correctable, and closer than far.

We've heard this before.  And had awful teams.  I think coaches are in the thick of it, so they have more access to data than any of us.  But I also think a lot of them want to be the one who proves they can make a player great.  I don't want to here "we're close."  I want to hear "we're there." 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 05:44 PM)Au165 Wrote: There is a certain amount of hedging that has to be done simply because you don't know exactly how FA will play out. The fact Joe Mixon tweeted during the national title game "If we get O line in FA we need to get Smith" tells you all you need to know about what people in the building actually think.

only really tells us what mixon thinks.
Reply/Quote

Perhaps he was talking about concepts and not players; at least that's how I read it.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 06:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: only really tells us what mixon thinks.

You think Mixon is saying that if he hasn’t been told he will be running behind a different group? I don’t’t, and it aligns with what the beat reporters have been told in terms of the front offices plan this off-season.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 05:51 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: No, he’s not going to say that but we do have to blow the whole thing up.  Frank Pollack understands neither the technique nor the personnel fit what Zac Taylor wants to create.  There may be some pieces here and there which can be modified but if I’m reading Frank correctly he’s advocating an entire change of technique especially with respect to run blocking.

I would think that Pollack would know better than Zac, and that he must have some assurances that he can actually install what he sees needs to go in. And he is right - our people suck at technique and the scheme is broken. 
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 07:16 PM)Joelist Wrote: I would think that Pollack would know better than Zac, and that he must have some assurances that he can actually install what he sees needs to go in. And he is right - our people suck at technique and the scheme is broken. 

He did say Zac was open and flexible to what Pollack brings to the table... how could ZT not be? But it’s an encouraging thought that ZT is trying to right his wrongs... let’s hope he rights then quickly.
Reply/Quote
Great move bringing this guy back IMO. I have to give Taylor some props for being able to get it done.

Didn't expect Pollack to want to come back. Definite upgrade over Turner and he is a really smart O-line coach.

I like how he loves the physicality so much, made me smile.
Reply/Quote

Honestly, the guys probably have good skills or they wouldn't have made it to the NFL. However, they could be coached wrong. That's probably the rhetoric behind that statement. I but into a little of it but not most of it.

Reply/Quote
I like what he's saying. Hopefully it translates into better play on the field.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2021, 09:00 PM)Benton Wrote: I like what he's saying. Hopefully it translates into better play on the field.

Yep, me too
Reply/Quote
At this point, I will believe it when I see it regarding Pollack's schemes.

I expect the Bengals will get a decent guard in FA, at least I hope. The draft at #5 could go skilled position, but if Sewell is there please take him. I hope the Bengals get one of the OL studs though either Sewell, Slaughter, or Darrisaw. I am not convinced Jonah can play a 16 game season, and with Hopkins down to ACL, there are not many options for the Bengal OL.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote