Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memorial Day
Thank you to the families of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.  We will remember the ones that were lost.

Let's hope in the future we have less reason and less opportunities to create more.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
One of the coolest things I have ever seen was in a VFW hall back home. They didn't have a tank, or a plane, or a big bomb out front. Inside there weren't battle maps or guns in cases or statues of generals or enlisted men. The military branch logos were painted on one wall and there were a few generic military posters or pennants scattered around.

And on one wall was the cool thing: a large mural of a soldier on a battle field with an incredible look of anguish on his face. He was weeping. Another soldier was beside him, arm over his shoulder, consoling him.

I wish we spent more time acknowledging that dimension of military service, and not "the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air." I saw a news clip yesterday in which a well known news anchor called rockets being launched from a U.S. ship in a recent attack "beautiful." I disagree.

If we are more honest about the human cost of our militarism, if we acknowledge the scores of veterans (not to mention civilians) whose lives are taken or shattered by war, we may be able to achieve the objective set in the OP - having fewer veterans to memorialize. Until such time, hats off to the fallen, those who mourn them, and those who console the mourners.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(05-29-2017, 09:58 AM)xxlt Wrote: I wish we spent more time acknowledging that dimension of military service, and not "the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air." I saw a news clip yesterday in which a well known news anchor called rockets being launched from a U.S. ship in a recent attack "beautiful." I disagree.

If we are more honest about the human cost of our militarism, if we acknowledge the scores of veterans (not to mention civilians) whose lives are taken or shattered by war, we may be able to achieve the objective set in the OP - having fewer veterans to memorialize. Until such time, hats off to the fallen, those who mourn them, and those who console the mourners.

I also found that disgusting. Wasn't that the same guy who lied about being shot at in Iraq?

As for the militarism--WWII was for a long time the definitive argument against war, given especially the civilian losses which exceeded military.

I fear though that nowdays so many Americans experience war through movies and video games. They have militaristic values, to some degree, but wholly untempered by actual war experience, let alone military service.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-29-2017, 11:26 PM)Dill Wrote: I also found that disgusting. Wasn't that the same guy who lied about being shot at in Iraq?

As for the militarism--WWII was for a long time the definitive argument against war, given especially the civilian losses which exceeded military.

I fear though that nowdays so many Americans experience war through movies and video games. They have militaristic values, to some degree, but wholly untempered by actual war experience, let alone military service.

Yep, Brian Williams. Thanks god I have trustworthy alternatives: Infowars, Breitbart, Fox... Sarcasm

Yeah, the glorification of killing in our culture is really overwhelming and tragic.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(05-29-2017, 09:39 AM)GMDino Wrote: Thank you to the families of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.  We will remember the ones that were lost.

Let's hope in the future we have less reason and less opportunities to create more.

Yup.  We owe a comparatively few an awful lot.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(05-29-2017, 09:58 AM)xxlt Wrote: I wish we spent more time acknowledging that dimension of military service, and not "the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air."

I'm sure the vast majority of our veterans and active duty members are fine with it. 

That dimension you are describing clearly takes center stage over "bombs bursting in air" anyway. Always has.
No reason to be offended.
(05-29-2017, 11:26 PM)Dill Wrote: I also found that disgusting. Wasn't that the same guy who lied about being shot at in Iraq?

The local college may have a safe space for that.

I remember that liberal newsguy Williams lying if that's who you mean, plus don't forget about Hillary lying about being under sniper fire as her helicopter landed somewhere in the middle of a war zone..
(05-30-2017, 12:02 PM)Vlad Wrote: The local college may have a safe space for that.

I remember that liberal newsguy Williams lying if that's who you mean, plus don't forget about Hillary lying about being under sniper fire as her helicopter landed somewhere in the middle of a war zone..

Well there's the politicizing of Memorial Day with no thoughts about how we send the people off to die.  Thanks.
(05-30-2017, 10:49 AM)Vlad Wrote: I'm sure the vast majority of our veterans and active duty members are fine with it. 

That dimension you are describing clearly takes center stage over "bombs bursting in air" anyway. Always has.

Always has on Memorial Day. Not the rest of the year.
(05-29-2017, 09:39 AM)GMDino Wrote: Thank you to the families of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.  We will remember the ones that were lost.

You just couldn't restrain yourself from dirtying up your memorial day thoughts by pushing leftist rhetoric could ya?
(05-30-2017, 08:28 PM)Vlad Wrote: You just couldn't restrain yourself from dirtying up your memorial day thoughts by pushing leftist politics could ya?

Took until the turd response from you in the thread to respond to this?   Cool

Honestly though: If wanting less war and less dead soldier is "leftist politics" rather than sanity I will GLADLY embrace that and wear that badge with honor.  Smirk
(05-30-2017, 10:49 AM)Vlad Wrote: I'm sure the vast majority of our veterans and active duty members are fine with it. 

Semi serious question, but if you have an ALL LIVES MATTER sign up do you take it down on Memorial Day?