Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Popping joints and senovial fluid
I know, odd topic (sexual jokes aside) but we know that noisy joints, popping knuckles and so on are associated with buildup of senovial fluid and the release of gases and so on and that it's pretty harmless and may actually be beneficial to most of us. So then why does it seem so much easier to pop certain joints as we get older and at the same time most of us develop joint pain, arthritis and so on as we age? This seems counter intuitive .
To me it would seem that with age popping joints would be much less frequent since our joints wear down with age, but I'm 60 now and have never found it easier to pop different joints in more places in my body.
I'm what most folks might consider a chronic joint popper. I often wake up cracking joints, fingers, knees, toes, etc., and have counted up to 74 different and distinct joints I can pop with probably even more since often I'll pop multiple joints at once in my spine and ankles so rapidly they're hard to count. It would seem to me with all this noise coming from my joints I'm falling apart at the seams and I have quite a bit of arthritis except for the joints the easiest to pop.. 
So what  then is the connection? Why is it easier to pop joints as I age instead of the other way around? Wouldn't it make much more sense that joints would be increasingly more difficult to pop as I age? Instead I'm constantly popping joints and find new joints to pop almost every few months. 
I'm sure there's some kind of statistical record somewhere of the most joints anyone can pop..I've never found such a record .
Something else I've noticed it that the more pain medication I take the easier it is to pop more joints at once  .. I haven't found anything online to connect that, but I'm not the only person to notice it..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
How about your jaw? I like to pop a joint in my mouth from time to time.
Reply/Quote
All joking aside I used to have an ankle that would often make a popping/clicking sound just from regular walking.  There was no pain involved.  But then for some reason it just stopped.

My wife would have me crack her back.  She would cross her arms across her chest and I would wrap my arms around her from behind and lift her up.  It sounded like her whole spine was breaking to pieces, but she said it never hurt.  In fact it loosened her up.
Reply/Quote
I have several joints that will easily pop for a few months then for no apparent reason stop popping for a few months then start again. I finally learned to stop trying to force the issue especially my spine. If it doesn't pop the first time I give up, but that wasn't always the case. I tried to pop my spine once and it cause quite a bit of pain for a few years and wouldn't pop at all then some time last year it started popping again. Popping multiple joints in my spine when it's pain free is one of my favorite things to do.. Yeah, I know.. I'm weird. I stopped trying to convince anyone of anything different than the fact that I'm weird.  Nervous

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 02:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: My wife would have me crack her back.  

Me too.

Mellow

On topic: I can pop the joints in me forefingers and big toes by simply curling them. Over and over. Like, if I did it a million times, it would pop a million times.
Reply/Quote
This will fix you right up!
https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signature-Glucosamine-%26-Chondroitin%2C-220-Tablets.product.11540398.html

[Image: u96ddicb11x1b0d6g.jpg]
Reply/Quote
A pinched nerve in my shoulder the other day had me feeling a bit like Quasimodo .I woke up hunched over to the right side and couldn't straighten up all day. It's still sore, but at least I'm back to functional and able to appear to be able to stand upright again. I've had to put back cracking on hold a few days.. It popped earlier this evening though with no pain.. I think I'll live. If not then I won't. 

Reply/Quote
So back to joint popping.. I have decided there are 4 basic ways or methods to pop joints. Hinge movement is like most finger joints. It can go in either direction, but acts much like a hinge. There is also the push or pull method which are similar except pulling is the opposite of pushing....obviously. I pull several joints apart to get them to pop, mostly my small toes and the last joint of my thumbs but pushing is usually kind of a lateral movement side to side. I push my feet together whilst laying down to get my knees to pop and also use the hinge movement to get them to pop. Occasionally even a firm twist works on my knees as well. And finally the twisting movements. I twist several different joints, my middle joints in fingers, my spine and my ankles, knees and to some extent my shoulders on occasion. I get two distinctive types of pops in my wrists from time to time, but twisting and pulling..
To recap.. Hinge movement, pushing or lateral movement, pulling movements and twisting. Ain't this fun stuff? My wife is completely convinced I'm going to break every bone in my body at some point. Cool I've considered making a joint popping instructional video, but folks would accuse me of dubbing in fake noises. Nobody is ever honest these days, eh? I did see a video of some kid claiming his 43 popped joints is the most ever popped at one time. I immediately turned around to pop 63 right after watching.. The most I've counted at one time though is 74 or thereabouts. I may have stated a different number earlier, but I'm limited to somewhere just over 70.. 

Reply/Quote