Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Position Battles: Linebacker
We face some tough decisions come cut days.

I think we figure to keep 7 LBs.

I consider these 4 to be Locks
55 Burfict, Vontaze LB 6-1 250 24 3 Arizona State
47 Dawson, P.J. LB 6-0 240 22 R Texas Christian
50 Hawk, A.J. LB 6-1 240 31 10 Ohio State
58 Maualuga, Rey LB 6-2 255 28 7 Southern California

Probable Locks (or are they?)
59 Lamur, Emmanuel LB 6-4 245 26 4 Kansas State
57 Rey, Vincent LB 6-0 255 27 5 Duke

That's already 6, leaving this group competing for the last roster spot. Four, and at least 3 (if we keep 8), of them face being cut.

49 Carter, Chris LB 6-1 240 26 4 Fresno State
51 DiManche, Jayson LB 6-1 244 24 3 Southern Illinois
53 Flowers, Marquis LB 6-3 250 23 2 Arizona
52 Johnson, Nico LB 6-2 255 25 3 Alabama
56 Porter, Sean LB 6-1 235 24 3 Texas A&M

Practice Squad
PS 45 Roach, Trevor LB 6-2 237 23 R Nebraska

Roach is the only one, besides Dawson, with any PS eligibility

How do you see it shaking out?
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't see Hawk as a lock. He could be cut just like Danieal Manning was last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 03:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see Hawk as a lock.  He could be cut just like Danieal Manning was last year.

Cutting Hawk would come as a shock to most people. I don't think Manning's cut shocked anyone.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 03:00 PM)Shady Wrote: We face some tough decisions come cut days.

That's already 6, leaving this group competing for the last roster spot. Four, and at least 3 (if we keep 8), of them face being cut.

Practice Squad

Emmanual is the starting sam right now... Would think Nico based on last year and Carter based on TC have the best chance. One could knock off Vinney rey possibly..
As AJ Hawk is now the 1st in at all 3 spots in Burfict is ready to go week 1.
Reply/Quote
I think you are really close to how it will shake out.

I find it really hard to judge linebackers without seeing them playing with the starting lineup so I have no idea who is the best among the cuttables.

Lamur still scares me.. I don't think he will be cut, but he could (and maybe should) move to 2nd on the depth chart.

also, by the way Marvin talks about AJ Hawk, there is no way he is getting cut.
Reply/Quote
I would drop Lamur down into that pool of no names and let them all battle for the 6th spot.

You don't overload on a position just because there is a wealth of mediocre talent and you can't pick the one that you want.

Save the overloading for talented positions, like DL.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 04:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think you are really close to how it will shake out.

I find it really hard to judge linebackers without seeing them playing with the starting lineup so I have no idea who is the best among the cuttables.

Lamur still scares me.. I don't think he will be cut, but he could (and maybe should) move to 2nd on the depth chart.

I have a feeling that he starts most, if not all of the year as the WILL LB.  I'm fairly certain he was an insurance policy for Burfict.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 04:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Lamur still scares me.. I don't think he will be cut, but he could (and maybe should) move to 2nd on the depth chart.

(08-11-2015, 05:17 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I would drop Lamur down into that pool of no names and let them all battle for the 6th spot.

So who have you seen that looks better playing SOLB than Lamur?

Lamur did not look great last year, but I don't think he was as bad as many people here seem to think.  Plus I look for him to improve this year since '14 was his first season playing a new position.
Reply/Quote
You guys are being a little hard on Lamur. No he wasn't great but it was his first season playing as a 3 down linebacker at any level combined with a hobbled front 7 it was a recipe for disaster.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 06:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So who have you seen that looks better playing SOLB than Lamur?

Lamur did not look great last year, but I don't think he was as bad as many people here seem to think.  Plus I look for him to improve this year since '14 was his first season playing a new position.

I don't think we have one on the roster unfortunately. I thought we were going to draft a potential replacement.

Lamur had a lot of hype going into last year which probably hurt my evaluation of him in the end.

I'll reserve judgement for after the preseason games.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 04:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I think you are really close to how it will shake out.

I agree. It is hard to judge without seeing them in games, but I'm going to be posting one of these for most of our position groups. Some cuts are going to be much harder than others. Looking at the current 90-man roster, it's mind boggling to think we have to be down to 53 by the end of the month/early Sept.

We're already seeing some attrition through injury (Ghee still can't stay healthy. He got carted off the field today, I understand.) 
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 06:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So who have you seen that looks better playing SOLB than Lamur?

I am not sure who else would line up in nickel (which is over 2/3rds of the defensive snaps) with Hawk.  Possibly Dawson if he really shines in the preseason, but I would be surprised if he beat out Lamur for the other spot in nickel.

Of course, the return of Burfict would change everything but I will be very surprised if he is ready at the start of the season.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 07:58 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am not sure who else would line up in nickel (which is over 2/3rds of the defensive snaps) with Hawk.  Possibly Dawson if he really shines in the preseason, but I would be surprised if he beat out Lamur for the other spot in nickel.

Of course, the return of Burfict would change everything but I will be very surprised if he is ready at the start of the season.

If Hawk or Burfict plays in the nickel, then I would think Flowers might be Lamur's biggest competition. They're both former safeties.
Reply/Quote
Sean Porter was such a waste of a pick. Sad

Reply/Quote
We might want to take a look at this IK Enemkpali guy.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 03:00 PM)Shady Wrote: We face some tough decisions come cut days.

Practice Squad

I agree with your top 6. Of the rest, I like Nico Johnson.  
Reply/Quote
Wink 
(08-11-2015, 08:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We might want to take a look at this IK Enemkpali guy.

I was wondering who would be first. Rep to you.  I'm hoping the steelers pick him up....
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 09:15 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I was wondering who would be first. Rep to you.  I'm hoping the steelers pick him up....

That dude's done in the NFL.  All he'll have to show for it is a great story to tell when he's back on the block.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2015, 08:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We might want to take a look at this IK Enemkpali guy.

Some people might think our QB could use a sucker punch to the face, but I hope we pass lol.
Reply/Quote
I'd like to see more of Flowers. I agree this area has tough choices.
Reply/Quote