Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Positions of need
Major needs
1.) Off LB- Brown clearly isn't it and Vigil even if he is it is a free agent. The only question is can Pratt play or not. If so then its one need if not we need two.
2.)RT- Hart isn't good and he certainly can be improved upon.
3.) 3T- How much longer does Geno have. He looks good but it's a dangerous game we're playing with him. Plus wouldn't a capable backup make his job easier.
Mid level needs
1.) Boundary CB- I like Kirkpatrick but he is expensive and getting up there. Would be nice to draft a developmental CB is next year's draft.
2.) Nickle Back- Dennard is a free agent and Webb hasn't looked the part this year. I do have hope for Phillips though. You can never have too many CBs though.
3.) flex TE- Efeirt is good but injury prone plus will be a free agent next year.
BPA
1.) QB- I Like Dalton but is he worth a 30 million dollar deal! Probably not. If the Bengals fall for a prospect they have to draft him. Right?
2.) WR- AJ Green will be a FA after this season.
Wait & See
Int OL
SS
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Offensive line, Linebacker, and Corner.

Like I said last year, I'd be totally fine if every single one of our picks were only these three positions (with the first 2 making up the vast majority)
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
1A) Offensive Tackle
1B) Linebacker
2) Offensive Guard
3) Cornerback

The wildcard here is QB, but I don't want them drafting a QB high if they aren't willing to pursue o-line in free agency.

Tackle and Linebacker are basically interchangeable. We need both desperately.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I guess it depends on whether this team decides to use free agency next year. IF they do, then it becomes much easier to do the following:

1. Given the high probability of a top 5 pick - draft a QB.

Use that $25 million you were going to give Dalton to do the following:

1. Sign a legit O-lineman. I don't know who it will be or who will be available, but I'm definitely spending $10-12 million on a new guy.
2. Sign a legit LB. One that can actually cover. Should cost around $10-15.

I would trade Dalton for those two guys. I've seen enough of the system in LA and here in Cincy to think that a young, mobile QB would give us decent QB play next year.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 03:02 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I guess it depends on whether this team decides to use free agency next year.  IF they do, then it becomes much easier to do the following:

1.  Given the high probability of a top 5 pick - draft a QB.

1.  Sign a legit O-lineman.  I don't know who it will be or who will be available, but I'm definitely spending $10-12 million on a new guy.
2.  Sign a legit LB.  One that can actually cover.  Should cost around $10-15.

I would trade Dalton for those two guys.  I've seen enough of the system in LA and here in Cincy to think that a young, mobile QB would give us decent QB play next year.

Bryan Bulaga at RT in free agency and Corey Littleton at LB would be the best two options in free agency.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 03:02 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I guess it depends on whether this team decides to use free agency next year.  IF they do, then it becomes much easier to do the following:

1.  Given the high probability of a top 5 pick - draft a QB.

1.  Sign a legit O-lineman.  I don't know who it will be or who will be available, but I'm definitely spending $10-12 million on a new guy.
2.  Sign a legit LB.  One that can actually cover.  Should cost around $10-15.

I would trade Dalton for those two guys.  I've seen enough of the system in LA and here in Cincy to think that a young, mobile QB would give us decent QB play next year.
This makes the most sense for me.  I think Taylor needs to get his QB  of future and I do not think Finley is it.  Give me Burrow and Two quality O-Line athletes and a studly backer, maybe another CB/Safety.  
Oh and a new Kicker...
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 02:25 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This makes the most sense for me.  I think Taylor needs to get his QB  of future and I do not think Finley is it.  Give me Burrow and Two quality O-Line athletes and a studly backer, maybe another CB/Safety.  
Oh and a new Kicker...
If Burrow keeps playing the way he's playing, he's my guy.
Reply/Quote
(09-19-2019, 02:54 PM)Big Boss Wrote: If Burrow keeps playing the way he's playing, he's my guy.

same.  I also like Hurts
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2019, 05:30 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Bryan Bulaga at RT in free agency and Corey Littleton at LB would be the best two options in free agency.

Bulaga seems to be hurt.... a lot. Sounds like our kinda guy.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Guard Tackle LB every pick in the draft needs to be those positions. unlike most on here I think G is most pressing need. In modern NFL G is just as important as T because edge rushers are becoming more versatile able to line up at different spots and create havoc on Oline
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 08:52 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Guard Tackle LB every pick in the draft needs to be those positions. unlike most on here I think G is most pressing need. In modern NFL G is just as important as T because edge rushers are becoming more versatile able to line up at different spots and create havoc on Oline

Nah, tackle is still more important because of help. A guard can be helped with a punch from the tackle before he gets into his set or by a center coming inside out. In most cases you will have to put your tackle (Your best one because your other is already getting TE/HB help) out on an island by themselves. 

The reality is this is tough to say as I believe a potential fire sale may be on the horizon. If that's the case you get the best player available until the team is on the cusp then you secure your QB. 
Reply/Quote
At this point I'm thinking:

1) QB - I'd have have them sit behind Dalton for a year.

2) LB - Though part of the problem here is coaching, specifically I think we can do better than Lou and should hire someone out of college if necessary.

3) RT - I know OLine is an urgent need but it would be a high 3rd round pick at least and of course we'd get Jonah back and maybe one of our Guards would start to play like they deserve to be a starter after another year of experience.

4) Safety - If you re-sign Brandon Wilson I'd probably cut Shawn Williams, but either way you'll need a Safety)

5) WR - Hope to find another Marvin Jones. Right now I'm not sold on our WR corps and we need to plan for a future without Ross or Green.

6) DL

7) Punter - Huber has been fantastic but is old. You want to have a guy in camp who won't make the team but can be called up in case of injuries (which get more common with age).

Reply/Quote
1a) Offensive Line
1b) Linebacker
2) Quarterback
3) Wide receiver
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2019, 02:46 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: At this point I'm thinking:

1) QB - I'd have have them sit behind Dalton for a year.

2) LB - Though part of the problem here is coaching, specifically I think we can do better than Lou and should hire someone out of college if necessary.

3) RT - I know OLine is an urgent need but it would be a high 3rd round pick at least and of course we'd get Jonah back and maybe one of our Guards would start to play like they deserve to be a starter after another year of experience.

4) Safety - If you re-sign Brandon Wilson I'd probably cut Shawn Williams, but either way you'll need a Safety)

5) WR - Hope to find another Marvin Jones. Right now I'm not sold on our WR corps and we need to plan for a future without Ross or Green.

6) DL

7) Punter - Huber has been fantastic but is old. You want to have a guy in camp who won't make the team but can be called up in case of injuries (which get more common with age).

Depends who the QB is, but I think the team could find a better use for Dalton's $17.7 mill next year. I'm thinking an upgrade to OL or LB rather than using that for a stopgap QB. I think there will be plenty of stopgap-level QBs available in FA that the Bengals could sign for less than half of what Dalton would be occupying with the cap. Or restructure his contract to take less, but the Bengals never do that, so I don't think that's an option.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Sitting a rookie 1st round QB behind a starter is a myth that doesn't really happen today, at least not for more than a couple games. There was a list a couple weeks ago when Daniels started on twitter that basically showed in the last 10 years everyone eventually starts. There has been no real proven advantage to sitting a QB his rookie year predating that.

In reality a lot of the college concepts are in the pro game today. If guys have a couple years starting experience in the college they should be thrown in early with the expectation it'll get rocky at times.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 11:17 AM)Au165 Wrote: Sitting a rookie 1st round QB behind a starter is a myth that doesn't really happen today, at least not for more than a couple games. There was a list a couple weeks ago when Daniels started on twitter that basically showed in the last 10 years everyone eventually starts. There has been no real proven advantage to sitting a QB his rookie year predating that.

In reality a lot of the college concepts are in the pro game today. If guys have a couple years starting experience in the NFL they should be thrown in early with the expectation it'll get rocky at times.

Yep. And technically Finley should be getting groomed behind Dalton this year, so Finley could be the stopgap starter next year if the team didn't want to throw the new franchise QB to the wolves.

Look at NYG and WAS as examples of what happens when having your new franchise QB sit behind a middling veteran. Giants were terrible with Eli and now doing better with Jones starting. WAS is one of the worst teams in the league with their stopgap QB.

Plus, if you have your new franchise QB sit a year, you lose a year of service time on the (much) cheaper rookie contract.

I'd much rather see $17.7 mill invested toward a position to help the new franchise QB succeed long-term (e.g. OL).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
1. Quarterback - Dalton doesn't have a great line but even with time he shits his pants and forgets how to climb the pocket if needed.

2. Linebacker - The linebacker play has been awful for a couple of years now. It is time to invest within the first two rounds in this position.

3. Offensive Line - Really can't even pinpoint which is a bigger need right now. Just get the best lineman possible during the draft and go from there.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
Quarterback
Linebacker
Offensive Line
Reply/Quote
QB
LB x2
OG
RT
CB
DE

Reply/Quote
Absolute Need:
- OT
- LB
- OG

Big Need:
- QB (Some would consider this an absolute need but it's not completely lacking talent like the above three)
- K

Somewhat Need:
- 3T (I think Andrew Brown could be a decent one if groomed properly and given ample opportunity)
- WR (Need to start thinking of another WR with Ross health issues and Green's health issues and age)
- CB
- DE (Current DEs not getting enough pressure, but there's some good talent there)

Situational Need:
- TE (Don't bother with a pass-catching TE if the team doesn't utilize TE in that way, but they will need one if TE ever becomes a focal point again as a pass catcher)
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote