Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Positives
(09-18-2023, 10:37 AM)Nepa Wrote: Cleveland and Baltimore are always tough. Might have been different if the league didn't have the Bengals start with those two games. We escaped Baltimore in the playoffs last year due to a fortuitous fumble on the goal line.

What was mentioned on TV was that Zac Taylor believes it takes a few games to figure out the identity of a team each year. Not sure what that means, but there are new moving parts (again, a new TE and now 2 new safeties) and I feel they starting gelling in the 2nd half. If Burrow is healthy (I know, a big if), then they should be fine from here on out.

I mentioned this in another forum.
Two division games at the start of the year, without #9 having any preseason snaps was going to be trouble.
Just a quick reminder that every team within the division finished with a 3-3 division record.
Reply/Quote
Those teams know our plays too. And how to defend them. So you have to be on your game.

Arguably, they both have better coaching staffs too.
Reply/Quote
As long as Burrow can play at at least 75% for next few games, I believe we'll be fine. Now let's take it to the Rams and run, run, and run the ball some more. I'd love to see our Oline run with success even if the other team knows its coming.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
Also, Im not going to trash the defense too much. They were on the field for 90% of the game in the first half just based on game flow. They were gassed in that 4th quarter.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 11:43 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Also, Im not going to trash the defense too much. They were on the field for 90% of the game in the first half just based on game flow. They were gassed in that 4th quarter.

Yep.  Time of possession has sucked for two weeks.  Baltimore and Cleveland play for that outcome every time.  If a defense is on the field against them for too long, they're going to take a beating physically.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:42 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Also Orlando Brown is the real deal.

No doubt.  He looked really good from what I saw.  Jonah, not so much. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:17 PM)M.W. Wrote: No doubt.  He looked really good from what I saw.  Jonah, not so much. 

Jonah gave up like 2 pressures and 1 sack. The sack could have been on Burrow.

Brown gave up I think 1 pressure.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right, but look what O-line he was running behind in those 3 years.

That too, im curious which side he's running the most from? or is it balanced? 
Personally with out looking up the stats (no idea where to look atm), i would think left side would be the side he's running to most.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:34 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You gotta wonder what the hell changed. 

Like you said, small sample...but, is he finally 100% healthy this year? Was he dealing with something last year injurywise that was hampering him? That's the only thing I can really think of. I feel like Joe has always brought the effort. 

A better OL is the reason
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:30 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Mixon has been running very well through the first two weeks, albeit with a small sample size. He is currently one of the most elusive backs in the league, according to PFF. I would love to see it continue.

He got 13 carries yesterday, I’d love that to be closer to 18. He gave me flat out goosebumps on a couple of those runs. He is a really good back. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:39 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: A better OL is the reason

Elusiveness has more to do with the individual back himself, not the OL. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:52 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's probably it, but it is worth noting that 2019 was his 3rd year and afterwards he was eligible for extension and peaked just in time to get paid. Then after he got paid he dipped for another 3 years. 

Now he knows with all the off-the-field stuff and pay cut he's hanging in the NFL by a thread and needs to reassert why he should be kept around. He's also playing for a couple million dollars in incentives.

He has shown to have those types of motivational issues. Doesn't run well until Gio or Perine checked in and blasts off a few 10 yard rushes.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 01:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Elusiveness has more to do with the individual back himself, not the OL. 

His elusiveness has always been there if you listened to Zac on the Solomon Wilcot’s podcast. He was rated 7th in receiving for running backs. When he got on the edge he proved his elusiveness.

PFF grades for 2022: Mixon ranked 13th of 60 qualifying halfbacks with an overall grade of 80.8, his highest in six seasons despite his stat production being down in the running game (his receiving numbers were up). He was 22nd of 51 halfbacks in run grade (80.9) and he was seventh of 60 halfbacks in receiving grade (77.0).
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 01:54 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Elusiveness has more to do with the individual back himself, not the OL. 

You’ll see our OL will grade much better this year. And guess what? Joe’s numbers and the group will be better. Funny how that works. Joe didn’t do yoga or aerobics this off season to get more elusive LOL.

Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 12:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Jonah gave up like 2 pressures and 1 sack. The sack could have been on Burrow.

Brown gave up I think 1 pressure.

The sack was on Burrow - he should EASILY have avoided it. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 02:52 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You’ll see our OL will grade much better this year. And guess what? Joe’s numbers and the group will be better. Funny how that works. Joe didn’t do yoga or aerobics this off season to get more elusive LOL.

Well, he did a lot of running......... from the police... Ninja Hilarious Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: So much for all the usual moaning and groaning and whoa is me that permeates this board after every loss. There ARE things that are looking up.
Defense had a bad game, but the offense looked vastly improved from the 1st game.
Mixon is running hard and not falling down at first contact.
Seems we once again have a punt returner who can take it to the house. He said he spent the week watching film of PacMan returning punts. Yea Ivy League!!
The line, for the most part, seems to be giving more time.
We are out of Division play for a couple of weeks and can even out the schedule. And, we can still split with Baltimore and Cleveland, and possibly sweep Pissburgh.

Tenders Love and Chicken is still good. 
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 11:04 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: If Burrow did not throw that INT, Bengals probably win the game against Ravens.  As bad as they looked, it is probably not as bad as it seems.  Burrow just doesn't look right.  

I think the most frustrating part of the season thus far, usually with the slow starts, the defense has stepped up.  Defense is not quite there yet.

I really think he's just been hurt coming out of the gate.  He didn't do enough yesterday to aggravate the calf.   That will really mess up his mechanics

And there is still the issue of his having no pre-season.   So it's not just messing him up but his receivers.

I have a bad feeling (just admitting, I always have a bad feeling.  My kids can't watch football with me) that calf is going to dog him all season, and he's just not going to be right.

I'm on board with the idea of them trading for Dalton.   5 weeks was not enough for Joe to heal up.   It's going to take a LOT of time.

We should know this week.   But if it's already dinged it would be insane to let him try again.    Give him a full 8 weeks to heal up and see what Dalton can do with this offensive line and these receivers.   If we can stay in the game Burrow can charge into the playoffs.  Can't believe that boy's luck.   Can't catch a break.
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 03:52 PM)3wt Wrote: I'm on board with the idea of them trading for Dalton.   5 weeks was not enough for Joe to heal up.   It's going to take a LOT of time.

We should know this week.   But if it's already dinged it would be insane to let him try again.    Give him a full 8 weeks to heal up and see what Dalton can do with this offensive line and these receivers.   If we can stay in the game Burrow can charge into the playoffs.  Can't believe that boy's luck.   Can't catch a break.

Everyone is so ready to write Browning off. While I prefer Joe to play, if he can't I look forward to seeing what Jake can do with full time practice reps with the 1st team. Be looked better this year in pre-season and sent Semian packing
Reply/Quote
(09-18-2023, 10:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Put Carman in there as a 6th lineman and let him grade the road. That's one thing he's good at. 

Yeah I always liked unbalanced line plays. In theory you get more pass protection as well. 

Positives: The passing offense did have some success in the second half which was encouraging. 

Reply/Quote