Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Possibility of trading down in the draft
(01-18-2018, 03:28 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: I was thinking Arizona in particular.  They pick 15th, and with Palmer retiring they literally have no one.  They could re-sign Blaine Gabbert, but they already know, as does everyone else, he's not the answer.  If 3 of the 4 supposed franchise QB's are gone, and Washington loses Cousins in FA.  It sorta forces Arizona to move ahead of Washington or go with a Blaine Gabbert or equivalent.  If Cousins does leave, that leaves the Redskins with Colt McCoy.  The Chargers, Bills, Jags and Steelers could also be looking at QB but I dont think any of them are in as desperate of a QB situation as The Cardinals, or there is virtually no way we would trade with them. (Pitt) 

How FA shakes out will be telling as a lot of QBs are free agents so there is gonna be some moving going on.. and its hard to tell who will need a QB still when the dust settles.

I'm not sure of player grades  (like is there a center worth the 12th pick)   But we don't always have the best history of dropping back.    (got chris perry instead of steven Jackson)
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 04:26 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: How FA shakes out will be telling as a lot of QBs are free agents so there is gonna be some moving going on.. and its hard to tell who will need a QB still when the dust settles.

I'm not sure of player grades  (like is there a center worth the 12th pick)   But we don't always have the best history of dropping back.    (got chris perry instead of steven Jackson)

The sports broadcasters out here are expecting the Cards to take one in FA and one in the draft. They suspect Zona will try to move up in the draft as well. I think they aren't expecting to keep Blaine around next year.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2018, 04:26 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: How FA shakes out will be telling as a lot of QBs are free agents so there is gonna be some moving going on.. and its hard to tell who will need a QB still when the dust settles.

If there is a quality C in this draft I don't think it matters where you draft them.
Reply/Quote
I'd guess our new o Line coach by now has SOME notions.. but....we WILL want a better line. How? that is the trick.
Ced O and Fisher... did not impress. Can they be salvaged? How about if moved to other roles? Would we want to have Bolling be at LT? Bodine will be a FA, do we let him exit?

In the Draft? Well.. Q Nelson seems VERY good but.. maybe too good to last to #12. Can he adapt to OT?
Opinions vary but.. there's likely 4-6 OT's who may go rd 1. A Center.... like Billy Price MAY go red 1....just not as high as #12.

Meanwhile? What's McCarron's status? How GOOD is he, really? Eifort.. another question. Will he always be high risk for injury? Will he be Too EXPENSIVE?

Not long ago we seemed deep at LB. Now? It's thin. all in all.. we are NOT that sure what we HAVE.
Reply/Quote
I actually see McCarron going to Arizona one way or another. If he is a FA, they offer him a bundle. If not, the Bengals will probably set up a trade with Arizona. I don't see the Bengals giving up the 12th pick at all.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 08:54 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: Assuming there are 4, perhaps 5 QB's in this years draft that are supposedly franchise QB type of players, is trading back a real possibility?  The Bengals draft 12th currently.  We would have to assume Cleveland takes a QB, as well as the Giants with the 2nd pick.  Denver picks 5th, and you have to think they'll also be in the QB market unless they get one in FA.  The Jets at 6 gotta be looking QB as well.  Washington picks 13th, and MAY be in the market for a QB depending on what happens with Cousins.  Would another team be willing to jump up ahead of Washington and grab the last "Franchise" QB? Or if their guy falls in the draft, would they be willing to jump up?  Say Arizona for example, they pick 15th.  Palmer is gone and they'll have a new coach.  What would that pick be worth to drop down say 3-7 slots?

According to Mike Mayok, the Bengals could be looking for a QB as we have Dalton. He said this is the same tone as Miami looking for a QB because they have Tannihill.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Moving back is always a possibility. It's just finding the right partner to dance with.

Personally, I don't want to move back. with the need several teams have at QB — and with a couple of the top 10 teams have a few big needs at other areas — this is a second consecutive year we could take an upgrade for either line. I'd take the mulligan and get either a defensive guy to start rotating in, or an OL to start building into a starter.

That's what I'd like to see. White I think we will see is another #%$&ing WR or DB.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2018, 12:49 AM)Benton Wrote: Moving back is always a possibility. It's just finding the right partner to dance with.

Personally, I don't want to move back. with the need several teams have at QB — and with a couple of the top 10 teams have a few big needs at other areas — this is a second consecutive year we could take an upgrade for either line. I'd take the mulligan and get either a defensive guy to start rotating in, or an OL to start building into a starter.

That's what I'd like to see. White I think we will see is another #%$&ing WR or DB.

Agree here and think there will be a good enough player fall to us that we need to keep them. 

Unless right offer presents itself of course. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2018, 12:49 AM)Benton Wrote: Moving back is always a possibility. It's just finding the right partner to dance with.

In the last 20 or 30 years they’ve only traded back twice. Once was in 2012 with their second 1st round pick, after they stayed put with their first 1st round selection.

The other time was in 2004, and then only because they were dropping back 2 spots figuring they could still grab their boy Chris Perry. So a trade from something like 12 to 20 (for example) just doesn’t match anything they’ve done in the Mike Brown era. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 02:48 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: In the last 20 or 30 years they’ve only traded back twice. Once was in 2012 with their second 1st round pick, after they stayed put with their first 1st round selection.

The other time was in 2004, and then only because they were dropping back 2 spots figuring they could still grab their boy Chris Perry. So a trade from something like 12 to 20 (for example) just doesn’t match anything they’ve done in the Mike Brown era. 

Totally agree, I don't think it's likely. But it's always an option.

Personally, I think that's a byproduct of the small scouting department. The Bengals lock in on a handful of players they think are going to be around their spot (because, let's face it, they know by November whether they're picking closer to 10 or closer to 20). And they're not prepared to drop down because they don't have grades on players outside of what they're expecting.
Reply/Quote
Isn't Mason Cole listed as a Center AND Tackle? There's someone who may be able to help at two positions and would be available around Round 3.
Reply/Quote
Know it will not happen but would be a great feeling to see the Bengals trade up for a top player one day.

Not saying it is the right move. But it would make it exciting.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Well so much for scenario and anyone needing to jump ahead of Washington. Tongue Still Alex Smith is 33, so Washington may still be looking at QB's. But likely later round prospects they think they can develop over the next 2-3 years, and likely not looking for a 1st rd QB now.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 02:48 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: In the last 20 or 30 years they’ve only traded back twice. Once was in 2012 with their second 1st round pick, after they stayed put with their first 1st round selection.

They just traded back last draft and picked up Joe Mixon in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 07:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: They just traded back last draft and picked up Joe Mixon in the 2nd.

I think he was referring to the first round only
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 07:58 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I think he was referring to the first round only

Ahhh, my bad.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2018, 09:54 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: Well so much for scenario and anyone needing to jump ahead of Washington.  Tongue   Still Alex Smith is 33, so Washington may still be looking at QB's.  But likely later round prospects they think they can develop over the next 2-3 years, and likely not looking for a 1st rd QB now.

Yea Washington-KC trade threw a monkey wrench into the FA QB play.

Now everyone knows Cousins will be a FA.
He's already made money, question is, will he sign for money (Jets/Cle/Buf etc) or a chance at a championship (Min/Den)?
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2018, 08:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ahhh, my bad.

No problem bro
Reply/Quote
bengals should trade down plus try and get some draft picks for AJ...Driskel is a better quarterback

u can get two good offensive linemen at the bottom of the 1st until the third round

get a good linebacker to help burfict..this team might be pretty good
Reply/Quote