Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Getting to know Jim O
Jim whats your least favorite question to be asked... (about bengals football)
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2018, 08:40 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I really liked the players he said he would add. Jensen and Williamson would be great additions to this team.

Agree with him about the officiating and rule changes too.

Read my mind. Both those things stood out to me. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-29-2018, 08:07 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Jim recently agreed to be the interview for a change and was good enough to answer some questions that I came up with that I thought would allow everyone to get to know him better, with some fun stuff mixed in as well.

I want to say a big thank you to Jim for taking the time to do this. 

Hope you guys enjoy!

Question: I came across an article titled 'Meeting the other you' where you met another Jim Owczarski in your area in Milwaukee. Given some of the commonalities that you discovered when you met (such as names of wives and grandfathers) - what was your initial reaction in learning all that? Also, have the two of you spoken since then?

Jim: Yeah, that was crazy. Definitely kind of mind-blowing and we went back as far as we could to kind of make sure we weren't related (and that would have been something; we're not). Very strange. The weird thing was he had kind of followed my career from afar and I had known of him, thanks to Google alerts or even just searching your name. We have not spoken since I left Milwaukee for Cincinnati, but we do have an occasional Twitter back-and-forth.

Question: I believe you've mentioned before that golf was your favorite sport to cover, and you've even written for various golf magazines. What is about golf that you find so enjoyable to cover?

Jim: I really like the true play-for-pay part of it, just how stressful and hard it is to make a living. People see the top 2% of that sport but the haves and have-nots are way different than other sports. There are no guarantees. (That said, the have-nots are not really poor guys or people without futures if they quit, but in terms of making it in the sport). I also like the individual nature of it, having to really dig into a guy to get the story because it's all about his performance. Yeah, there's a support structure - but no one is sinking off you to leave you wide open for the game-winning three. Either you choke, or you make it. It's awesome.

Question: It appears that you were already a very accomplished and highly-regarded journalist before arriving in Milwaukee, and then continued to doing impressive work during your time there. How did it come to be that you became the Bengals beat writer for the Enquirer / Cincinnati.com?

Jim: Honestly, they found me. An opening occurred (which I didn't know about), and through word of mouth and the sharing of my work from people I didn't know led the sports editor at the time to recruit me to come down.

Question: If you had the opportunity to venture into another (non-sports) area of journalism, what would you be most interested in covering and writing about?

Jim: I won't be generic and just say "features" because I think most of us would say that. I'd want to get onto the investigative side of things. Make an impact.

Question: Did you play any sports growing up? If so, which ones where you best at and/or enjoy playing the most?

Jim: Baseball (til high school), cross country, basketball and track (through high school) and then golf in college and since. LOVED basketball and high jumping, but blew out the same knee in back-to-back years, so that kind of ended actual participation in sports the back half of high school.

Question: What was you favorite, or most memorable, moment covering the Packers?

Jim: Watching Colin Kaepernick just make the Packers look silly in the 2013 NFC Wild-Card game at Lambeau. That performance was something else. And, while I wasn't in Seattle, just watching the 2014 NFC Championship game against Seattle with all of my Super Bowl flight and rental car information in browser windows ready to hit "book" before Brandon Bostick botched the onside kick. And then, eyes wide, just closing out of those reservations as the Packers were suddenly headed home. That was kind of a strange moment to live through. I heard some pretty stoked Packers fans lost thousands of dollars because they had booked that stuff during the game.

Question: Who are your favorite pro athletes to watch as a fan, both currently and all-time?

Jim: All-Time: Michael Jordan, Frank Thomas, Ken Griffey Jr., Barry Sanders, Greg Maddux, Ryne Sandberg and Tiger Woods.
Currently: Woods, Patrick Reed, Jordan Spieth, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Kevin Durant, LeBron James, Steph Curry, Clayton Kershaw.
For a moment in time: CC Sabathia in 2008 in Milwaukee, Mark Prior, Bobby Jenks in 2005, Derrick Rose's MVP season, The Sosa & McGwire home run chase of 1998.

Question: Stranded on a deserted island: You get 3 movie DVD's and 3 music CD's. Who you got?

Jim: "Me Against The World" - 2Pac
"Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)" - Wu-Tang Clan
"What's Going On" - Marvin Gaye

"The Big Lebowski"
"Caddyshack"
"A Christmas Story"

Question: If tomorrow, you were given permission to make one binding GM move for the Bengals, what would it be?

Jim: I have a real hard time with this type of stuff because I'm not conditioned to come up with fantastical scenarios, or Madden trade machine type stuff, so I'll go with what's "easy" and do-able.

That said it can't just be "one" move: I'd sign Baltimore center Ryan Jensen and Tennessee linebacker Avery Williamson and draft the guard and/or tackle at No. 12 who can start on the first day of camp i.e. Kevin Zeitler, Russell Bodine, Eric Steinbach and others.  

It's not sexy, but saying "trade Dalton/sign Brees!" just isn't a real thing.

Question: Be honest, did you get hosed by Jeremy's judging abilities during the dance-off with Paul? Also, how many muscles did guys pull and/or strain?

Jim: Nah, I choked. Totally. I had better in me and blew it. And I remain an athlete so I definitely felt real good physically after the fact!

Question: Is there something in today's NFL that you feel strongly should be changed, done away with or improved solely from a fan perspective?

Jim: Well, fans do view things a bit differently than I do but I think there are two things:
1. Fix this disciplinary situation. Everyone is tired of the suspensions and the court cases and players not playing for, sometimes, commissioner over-reach.
2. Fix the officiating/flag throwing. God it's a pain in the a--. Officials are human but these rules literally change every offseason and sometimes in season. Streamline this, simplify this, and just let them play.

Question: Why did you decide to pursue a career in journalism? If that hadn't worked out, what other career path do you think you might have chosen?

Jim: Basically, once I realized I wasn't going to be 6-5 and play in the NBA, I decided to be a sports journalist. So…early in high school. Other career path? Honestly never thought about it. I'd be writing somewhere, somehow though.

Question: Having spent years in Chicago, Milwaukee and now Cincinnati...what are some things that you've enjoyed most about each place? 

Jim: This could take all day!

Chicago: Honestly, it's world-class, so you can do and see anything and everything - music, food, the arts, sports, museums, outdoor events. I mean, all these places are home but the Chi is the hometown, so to me, you can go there as a tourist/visitor and just find anything that suits you.

Milwaukee: The food scene has gotten a lot better in the last decade, so you can get a lot of good eats and of course the local beer / cocktail scene is really cool. Also, go see a show at The Rave/Eagle Ballroom. Historic venue. I'm also a music guy, so Summerfest remains a must-do every year.

Cincinnati: This one is a bit harder because I spend so much time at PBS and traveling in relation to our coverage, but I've come to really enjoy the vibe of Vine St. in OTR. I also have come to enjoy Reds and Bengals game day on The Banks, and of course the Freedom Center and the zoo.

Question: You received a fellowship to cover the White Sox in spring training during your senior year at Northern Central College. What was that experience like and were there any lessons learned that carried with you?

Jim: It was career-changing. I learned I couldn't cover MLB - the days are too long and too much travel - and laid the foundation for how I've approached every day since. I received the Richter Fellowship for pitching an idea that was out-of-the-box, a project that told the stories of guys who no one else would want to talk to. It was about looking for other angles, asking different questions, and then putting together a story that made sense and was compelling.

Question: If you were tasked with starting an NFL team from scratch, and could pick any current GM, head coach, QB and defensive player not from New England, who would they be?

Jim: GM: Rick Spielman
HC: Mike McCarthy* (If I can't have Hoodie, I've got to go with a HC I feel can work with the QB)
QB: Aaron Rodgers
Defensive player: Von Miller

Question: What do you generally like to do for fun when you get some downtime?

Jim: Play golf (if I've got that kind of down time) and basically spending time with family and friends (and doing things with them - i.e. going to concerts, shows, events). Sounds cliché, but in the grind of football season those people take the short straw for half the year, so making that up as best I can when the season is over.

Yep, I screwed up and should have nominated him for a prestigious Bengal Board award. It is awesome have an insider in the forum, but Jim just seems so down to earth, intelligent and classy. Thanks for contributing Jim and great interview Holic. The mods also do a great job as well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 05:57 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Heh. I guess I just did? Seriously though, if you want the strong opinions from The Enquirer on the owner and head coach, Paul Daugherty is the guy. And over the last month or so he has taken out the knives. Oh - and he's always allowed in the building. 

Have you ever asked Doc about the old days when Sam Wyche and Mike Bass used to go at it?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2018, 05:57 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Thanks everyone! It's fun to swing by and see what you all are thinking/talking about.

@bengalhoel - DVDs
ha! I just assumed I was stuck there :-D

@fredtoast  - homer/softballs!

"NO TOUGH QUESTIONS" guy!? :-D
I'll play along…

"How does it feel to cover the worst team in the history of the NFL with the worst playoff coach in the history of the NFL" - I'd actually say the Browns from 1999 might be the worst at this point but generally speaking, I have no feeling about it. It's team that's here and the job I have. That's important to know. I have to be dispassionate about it, because I have to be able to say a guy played great and a guy played terribly.

"How do the players feel about knowing that every single season they play for th Bengals is hopeless before it even begins." - I don't believe they "know" that or feel that. Maybe the teams in the 90s did but not this current group.

"How exactly does Mike Brown monitor the wishes of the fans so that he can make sure he does the exact opposite in order to intentionally offend them as much as possible?" - he reads all the letters that are sent to him and he reads our paper. Others in the family read, too. As for intentionally offending - that doesn't happen. He just does what he thinks is best.

"Why doesn't everyone admit that there is no difference between Andy Dalton and Russell Bodine?" - Um.

@Grampahol - So you think it's a good idea for Jim to commit career suicide by blatantly insulting the team owner and coach to never be allowed in the building again?

Heh. I guess I just did? Seriously though, if you want the strong opinions from The Enquirer on the owner and head coach, Paul Daugherty is the guy. And over the last month or so he has taken out the knives. Oh - and he's always allowed in the building. I'm a beat guy, which by definition means I have to remain neutral and objective. Yes, I have opinions on how things can/should be done - but the outlets for that are usually here, Twitter, reddit, my Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Jim-Owczarski-179299495438040/) and the Bengals Beat Podcast. But such opinions are based in fact/insight/things told to me by those who would know and really, it's just not my nature to be the yelly/screamy guy. #HotTakeJames Rapien is there for that :-D

@PhilHos - Marvin's record vs. Steelers

Yes. Which is why I asked him in his re-introductory press conference about how to approach that and he cut me off and didn't answer.

You da man Jim.....you da man. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Jim, I bet you didn't know that Julie Andrews sang a song about this did you ?  'Getting to know you ....'
 https://youtu.be/4MNANgFCYpk
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
@fredtoast - I got it Big Grin

@XenoMorph - least favorite question

WHY DON'T YOU ASK THE TOUGH QUESTIONS!?

Seriously though, it's that one. Because I do. It's just that the job is nuanced. We're dealing with real people. "Attacking Marvin for his constant failures" isn't really a thing that can happen in the immediate postgame conference after another loss to the Steelers, no matter what angry Bengal fan thinks. There is a time and a place, there is reading people, asking a thing one way (or maybe another way) at a certain point. I hate to say it, but a lot of times the "tough questions" fans think should be asked aren't really even questions that are legitimate.
i.e. WHY DON'T YOU ASK ANDY WHY HE DOESN'T CARE AND SUCKS?

@rfaulk34 - Wyche/Bass

I have not, but I will!
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2018, 06:03 PM)jowczarski Wrote: @fredtoast - I got it Big Grin

@XenoMorph - least favorite question

WHY DON'T YOU ASK THE TOUGH QUESTIONS!?

Seriously though, it's that one. Because I do. It's just that the job is nuanced. We're dealing with real people. "Attacking Marvin for his constant failures" isn't really a thing that can happen in the immediate postgame conference after another loss to the Steelers, no matter what angry Bengal fan thinks. There is a time and a place, there is reading people, asking a thing one way (or maybe another way) at a certain point. I hate to say it, but a lot of times the "tough questions" fans think should be asked aren't really even questions that are legitimate.
i.e. WHY DON'T YOU ASK ANDY WHY HE DOESN'T CARE AND SUCKS?

@rfaulk34 - Wyche/Bass

I have not, but I will!
Oh sure..and don't even acknowledge my hard hitting Julie Andrews reference..
I'm so disappointed now.. lol
I bet you didn't even know that hard hitting and Julie Andrews could be used in the same sentence without considerable effort..

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Thanks Holic, great interview.

So happy to have Jim O stop by and give us a headsup from time to time. Nice to know some things about the man! Rock On
Reply/Quote
Now, for the real tough question: Jim, just an observation. Your avi looks like an infinity soup bowl sunburned on your forehead. What caused that there?

Reply/Quote
THis entire thread is hilarious. Great job holic on the interview and for Jim participating. The absolute best part of the coverage is the bbp and the stuff on Social media.

Also fun to hear Jim has a doppelganger..... the real question is does he drive a Yaris?
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 01:15 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: THis entire thread is hilarious.   Great job holic on the interview and for Jim participating.  The absolute best part of the coverage is the bbp and the stuff on Social media.  

Also fun to hear Jim has a doppelganger..... the real question is does he drive a Yaris?
And does he still break out the old Julie Andrews records and sing along? I know that I certainly do especially when the Bengals are losing. 
"Just a spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down....." 
Well perhaps not .

Reply/Quote
@grampahol - I don't like Julie Andrews. Actually, no, I shouldn't say that. I know Julie Andrews and therefore get no reference of her. ;-D

@HarleyDog - ha! It's the photo I had available at the time and frankly, too lazy to change it Big Grin

@StLucieBengals - Thanks for listening! I do not believe he drives a Yaris. As a government employee in Milwaukee, I think* he has a sedan-type whip.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Jim-
Excellent job as always.  Thanks for stopping by here and giving us some insight. Its much appreciated. 

Do you get into the draft hype this time of year? 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 03:33 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Jim-
Excellent job as always.  Thanks for stopping by here and giving us some insight. Its much appreciated. 

Do you get into the draft hype this time of year? 

Thanks! And actually, no. I dislike the draft and all that leads up to it, to be honest. It's why Paul Dehner Jr. and I make a good team. He loves it. He doesn't particularly care for free agency, and I do ... so if you really pay attention to what we do and when, you'll see he takes the lead in the run up to the draft, and then you'll see me kind of pilot our free agency coverage. Honestly, the first draft I watched in my life was in April of 2015, which was right after The Enquirer hired me and I was paid to do so. Obviously, I do what I have to in that regard to cover the team the best way I (we) can for you, but personally speaking, I really don't like it. But, as long as I cover the Bengals, I will do due diligence to provide the best and most comprehensive coverage of the club you'll find anywhere. At the very least, you all know I look at it very dispassionately and objectively, which is what you want! :-D
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2018, 06:43 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Thanks! And actually, no. I dislike the draft and all that leads up to it, to be honest. It's why Paul Dehner Jr. and I make a good team. He loves it. He doesn't particularly care for free agency, and I do ... so if you really pay attention to what we do and when, you'll see he takes the lead in the run up to the draft, and then you'll see me kind of pilot our free agency coverage. Honestly, the first draft I watched in my life was in April of 2015, which was right after The Enquirer hired me and I was paid to do so. Obviously, I do what I have to in that regard to cover the team the best way I (we) can for you, but personally speaking, I really don't like it. But, as long as I cover the Bengals, I will do due diligence to provide the best and most comprehensive coverage of the club you'll find anywhere. At the very least, you all know I look at it very dispassionately and objectively, which is what you want! :-D

You're pretty slick, Jimbo.  I'd take the free agency beat, too.  It's gotta be one cushy assignment if you can get it, seeing that this team rarely does anything of note in the process.  Heck, for the first two weeks of the new league year you could go home after lunch or play a round of golf (weather permitting of course). 

To your last sentence, I agree that you're a terrific objective journalist. There's no feeling either way on the subject, just facts. You should be commended for that.

All things considered, I would however like to see a real a-hole Bengals beat writer one day. I'm talking about a dude (or dudette) who treated the family that runs this outfit like they would get treated in a town like Boston or New York. I'm not talking about "asking tough questions". I'm talking about somebody who's a flat out jerk treating the Brown family like garbage in print just like they treat us as fans on a regular basis.
Reply/Quote
Great stuff!

I've tweeted with Jim before and he and I have similar taste in music and movies. Fun guy who is personable and does a great job covering my favorite team. The fact that he's so "approachable" (it's the interwebz, we're not in person that's why I used quotes) is what I really like about him. Whether on here or Twitter, Jim will respond to you and do the best he can to answer whatever you ask or he's more than happy to joke around and just have a conversation.

Thanks for all you do, Jim! We all really appreciate it!
Reply/Quote