Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Possibility of trading down in the draft
Rudolph is my favorite as well. If we traded down and got OL help in the first with another OL in the second(or any position of need) I'd be fine with Rudolph as our other 2nd round pick.
Reply/Quote
"Trading down" hasn't worked out very well for the Browns.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2018, 11:51 PM)John Shaft Wrote: "Trading down" hasn't worked out very well for the Browns.

Due to the picks they made, not bc of the trading back. For example instead of jabril peppers, they could had takk mcckinley, tredavious white, and instead of David njoku they could had tj watt, Ruben foster, Ryan ramczyck. 
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 08:54 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: Assuming there are 4, perhaps 5 QB's in this years draft that are supposedly franchise QB type of players, is trading back a real possibility?  The Bengals draft 12th currently.  We would have to assume Cleveland takes a QB, as well as the Giants with the 2nd pick.  Denver picks 5th, and you have to think they'll also be in the QB market unless they get one in FA.  The Jets at 6 gotta be looking QB as well.  Washington picks 13th, and MAY be in the market for a QB depending on what happens with Cousins.  Would another team be willing to jump up ahead of Washington and grab the last "Franchise" QB? Or if their guy falls in the draft, would they be willing to jump up?  Say Arizona for example, they pick 15th.  Palmer is gone and they'll have a new coach.  What would that pick be worth to drop down say 3-7 slots?

Why not take one of those QBs!!!! 

I don't see why we trade back and let Mayfield go to another team. He's a more talented Wilson. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2018, 02:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: What Teams with later picks than us do you see needing a QB?  I mean the jags might need one but how far back do we go?

I think it be depending on how many slots...  3 slots 1st and 3rd..   7 slots  1st and 2nd

It really depends.  I don't think too many people saw the Chiefs going up to #10 last year to get Mahomes.

That being said, I could see the Bills making a move up if there is a guy on the board that they like.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 12:52 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Why not take one of those QBs!!!! 

I don't see why we trade back and let Mayfield go to another team. He's a more talented Wilson. 

No please no. U did not just say this.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 08:54 PM)Shepdawg Wrote: Assuming there are 4, perhaps 5 QB's in this years draft that are supposedly franchise QB type of players, is trading back a real possibility?  The Bengals draft 12th currently.  We would have to assume Cleveland takes a QB, as well as the Giants with the 2nd pick.  Denver picks 5th, and you have to think they'll also be in the QB market unless they get one in FA.  The Jets at 6 gotta be looking QB as well.  Washington picks 13th, and MAY be in the market for a QB depending on what happens with Cousins.  Would another team be willing to jump up ahead of Washington and grab the last "Franchise" QB? Or if their guy falls in the draft, would they be willing to jump up?  Say Arizona for example, they pick 15th.  Palmer is gone and they'll have a new coach.  What would that pick be worth to drop down say 3-7 slots?

There's really no way to know until the free agent QBs are signed.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

That's why I was hoping they would just bomb against Detroit and Baltimore (although that was pretty sweet) and get a higher pick.  I think there will be a LOT of demand on the QBs.  This isn't the QB class like Marino, etc, but it will dazzle the masses once they start throwing at the combine and doing personal workouts.  

I think teams like Jacksonville, the Jets, the Bills, etc, would really want to move up to get one and might offer a hefty price, but I don't know if where we sit at #12 would get as big a bounty to make it worth sliding in Rd 1.  I would sure listen to offers, though.  And maybe go with a player like Vita Vea towards the end of Rd 1 or if they find a tackle they really like.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2018, 08:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see that many QBs rated that high, but teams move up in the draft all the time to take players other than QB.  However these trades are hard to even speculate about because no moves will be made until the first 11 guys are off the board.

I think it is more likely that we end up trading McCarron to the Browns for their second round pick.

I was pretty taken aback when the Browns decided they would give us a 2nd and 3rd round pick for AJ.

And now that they will have the pick of the QBs in this draft, and given the fact that they have SO many draft picks, I would be even more surprised if they traded anything for McCarron.

Even if he is found to be a RFA, I doubt that any team will give up a 2nd round pick for AJ.

But if I'm wrong I'll be extremely happy.  Especially if it's the Browns.
Reply/Quote
I'd rather stay put and get a high quality guy like McGlinchey (sp?) or that guard that's projected in the top 10.

I want great players, and picking up an extra 3rd or late 2nd rounder isn't enough value to justify passing up on that top talent. Think about when we passed on DeCastro. Who did we get with that extra pick for trading back? Was it really worth it?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 08:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Think about when we passed on DeCastro. Who did we get with that extra pick for trading back? Was it really worth it?

This logic makes no sense.

Should we never take a player in the top three picks ever again because of Akili Smith and KiJana Carter?
Reply/Quote
I would trade down. I don't see any linemen worth having where we are. I'd trade down, get an additional high quality pick and see where we go.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 08:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd rather stay put and get a high quality guy like McGlinchey (sp?) or that guard that's projected in the top 10.

I want great players, and picking up an extra 3rd or late 2nd rounder isn't enough value to justify passing up on that top talent. Think about when we passed on DeCastro. Who did we get with that extra pick for trading back? Was it really worth it?

If there is a tackle they like at 12 it's a no brainer, but if not exploring all options isn't a bad idea.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'd be fine with OT, LB, or Minkah Fitzpatrick at 12, but I think trading down to mid-late 1st and picking up an extra 2nd (and maybe more) might be the best option if available.

The Bengals have a big need for at least two OL and one LB. DT also a need if you don't have hope in Billings after one season. A true ball hawk FS could be helpful. Another interior pass rusher would also help.
Having more picks in Day 1 and Day 2 will help fill those needs with quality players (in theory).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 08:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd rather stay put and get a high quality guy like McGlinchey (sp?) or that guard that's projected in the top 10.

Gio
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 04:28 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Gio

I am pretty sure it was Brandon Thompson.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 04:28 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Gio

Gio was from the Palmer trade.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think it depends on if Quentin Nelson is there at 12, if he falls to us we should take him or McGlinchey.

But if these guys are both gone i would be all for trading down and getting Ragnow or Price, we need one of these Centers
if we want to really improve. Ragnow is my top Center, he has years of experience unlike Price but i like Price as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 08:11 PM)3wt Wrote: I was pretty taken aback when the Browns decided they would give us a 2nd and 3rd round pick for AJ.

And now that they will have the pick of the QBs in this draft, and given the fact that they have SO many draft picks, I would be even more surprised if they traded anything for McCarron.

Even if he is found to be a RFA, I doubt that any team will give up a 2nd round pick for AJ.

But if I'm wrong I'll be extremely happy.  Especially if it's the Browns.

Here's the thing, though. AJM already has some NFL experience. So, the question is, did he show enough that he could be a franchise QB? If the Browns think so and get him for anything other than their first round picks, they can then use those first round picks on other areas of need while still getting what they think is a possible solution at QB.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2018, 08:11 PM)3wt Wrote: I was pretty taken aback when the Browns decided they would give us a 2nd and 3rd round pick for AJ.

They have not gotten any new draft picks since the tried to trade for McCarron
Reply/Quote