Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Bengals/Bills trade?
If this was to happen, who would we let go and what would we shoot for in return? Not sure we would go for much but some draft picks but you never know.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/07/14/could-bengals-bills-strike-up-another-trade/

Quote:The Buffalo Bills and Cincinnati Bengals have quite the bromance.

Cincinnati sent Buffalo to the playoffs at the end of last season, resulting in some fun charity donations. Buffalo wound up getting former Bengals like Russell Bodine and AJ McCarron, while the Bengals traded for Cordy Glenn and signed Preston Brown.

Given where the two teams stand heading into training camp, there is reason to believe they could strike up another deal surrounding the wideout position, which is something a Bills fan recently asked Jay Skurski of the Buffalo News. His reply:

“A more realistic scenario would be targeting one of the Bengals’ younger receivers in a trade. We’ve seen the two franchises make one deal already this offseason, when Cordy Glenn was traded to Cincinnati as part of a deal for the Bills to move up in the first round. Cincinnati has ample depth at receiver behind Green and veteran Brandon LaFell.”

As Skurski goes on to note, the Bills could simply wait until cut days to see who the Bengals let go.

Then again, somebody like Tyler Boyd won’t get cut but could offer plenty of value for the Bills. The depth chart lists as follows:

A.J. Green
Brandon LaFell
John Ross
Tyler Boyd
Cody Core
Josh Malone
Alex Erickson
Auden Tate
And those are just the notables. Boyd has struggled to break out but still has upside. Everybody knows the deal with Ross. Malone is a sophomore who has the size and traits to break into serious playing time. Erickson is valuable on special teams and Tate is the most-hyped Bengals player of the offseason so far.

Meaning, the Bengals aren’t keeping all these guys and the Bills could have an interest. Given how the Bengals like to go back to teams they trade often with (ahemNewEnglandahem), it wouldn’t be too much of a surprise to see another move here.

The Bengals have a habit of getting trade value out of guys they would cut lately, so don’t sleep on the idea of this happening again.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I would rather cut Laffell then trade a young WR.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
If they made a deal, who would you want from the Bills' roster? Yes, I know that player for player trades are rare. But, this is the offseason, the time for imaginations to fill voids of actual excitement.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2018, 12:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they made a deal, who would you want from the Bills' roster? Yes, I know that player for player trades are rare. But, this is the offseason, the time for imaginations to fill voids of actual excitement.

What’s our weakest position right now and do they have any depth to help?

Reply/Quote
(07-14-2018, 12:49 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I would rather cut Laffell then trade a young WR.

Me too.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2018, 12:49 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I would rather cut Laffell then trade a young WR.

I could agree. LaFell is kinda dependable though. However nothing special one of the other young receivers couldn’t bring to the table.

Reply/Quote

Meh, people wanted Lafell cut when he was keeping such whizbang WR's like Rasuaun Simonise and Jake Kumerow from getting a chance to shine.  I'm not the president of the guy's fanclub or anything, but I don't think the fact that the Bengals dare to have a low-cost veteran WR is as damaging to the depth chart as others.  Time will tell.
Reply/Quote
I don't think we make a move at WR until deep into training camp when they have ha a good chance to se what all the young guys can do in pads.

If we trade a guy at the bottom of our depth chart all we will get is a late round draft pick.
Reply/Quote
We may or may not end up being set at receiver but we can't know that yet.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
There were rumors in the off season that Shaq Lawson could lose his job as a starter. I know we have a lot of young pass rushers but I’d trade Boyd for him and officially part with MJ.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2018, 02:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: There were rumors in the off season that Shaq Lawson could lose his job as a starter. I know we have a lot of young pass rushers but I’d trade Boyd for him and officially part with MJ.

I like this thought, would welcome Shaq Lawson here with open arms.

Boyd i think is going to be solid but he isn't spectacular, i think we would end up on the good side of this
trade just like the others. Ross is our up and comer along with Malone. Boyd like i said will be solid, he is
just not very explosive like these two are.

BTW, i like the Bills now, tied for my second favorite team with the Vikes for taking Bodine from us lol
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2018, 01:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I could agree. LaFell is kinda dependable though. However nothing special one of the other young receivers couldn’t bring to the table.

Someone needs to step up and take Lafell's spot before we cut him, i think both Ross and Malone will but
until they do you have to keep the experienced Vet who has chemistry with Dalton.

Just the way it is.
Reply/Quote
After looking over the Bills' depth chart, I think that TE Nick O'Leary might be a good prospect to add via trading a WR like Erickson. The Bills currently have 6 TEs listed on their depth chart, that's a lot of TEs to carry, even in the offseason. O'Leary is the primary backup to Charles Clay. Last year O'Leary caught 22 passes, averaging 14.5 yds/reception. Pretty decent average. O'Leary is also in the final year of his rookie deal with a salary of around 700K, he was a 6th round pick out of Fla. St., in the TE rich 2015 draft.

With all of the questions that the Bengals have at TE; with Eifert being an eternal health question mark, Kroft being starter quality, but also getting dinged up, and Uzomah, despite all of his physical giftedness, having yet to distinguish himself as any sort of "heir apparent" to the position. O'Leary isn't the field stretching type like Eifert, he's more the traditional 6'3", wide framed TE that could also aid a struggling RT with his ability to perform as an in-line blocker.

So, what do y'all think? Good trade prospect, or nah?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton for Josh Allen
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I bet you we trade ROSS in a surprising move.
Reply/Quote
Apart from LaFell and AJ, Boyd is the only other WR that has produced and he is a slot guy. I don't want us to carry 7 WR like last year so Core And Erickson are both going to get cut if someone else can show up in returns on special teams. Ericksons woes on special teams last year was more due to refs flags from our guys breaking rules. Special teams has went down hill since people here claimed the special teams coach had a chance at being our new head coach the spotlight went strait to this guys head and he failed at his job last year. We just don't throw the ball to Erickson enough to keep him around same with Core if you are not going to use them let them have a shot on another team.This is assuming that Tate makes a big impact in the redzone through preseason. I say no to getting rid of Boyd just throw the guy the ball he is a good WR.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2018, 04:43 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: After looking over the Bills' depth chart, I think that TE Nick O'Leary might be a good prospect to add via trading a WR like Erickson. The Bills currently have 6 TEs listed on their depth chart, that's a lot of TEs to carry, even in the offseason. O'Leary is the primary backup to Charles Clay. Last year O'Leary caught 22 passes, averaging 14.5 yds/reception. Pretty decent average. O'Leary is also in the final year of his rookie deal with a salary of around 700K, he was a 6th round pick out of Fla. St., in the TE rich 2015 draft.

With all of the questions that the Bengals have at TE; with Eifert being an eternal health question mark, Kroft being starter quality, but also getting dinged up, and Uzomah, despite all of his physical giftedness, having yet to distinguish himself as any sort of "heir apparent" to the position. O'Leary isn't the field stretching type like Eifert, he's more the traditional 6'3", wide framed TE that could also aid a struggling RT with his ability to perform as an in-line blocker.

So, what do y'all think? Good trade prospect, or nah?

I like it. He has great hands and a good blocker. Could be h-back too.
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2018, 08:20 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I like it. He has great hands and a good blocker. Could be h-back too.

Aside from the absurd scenarios that were posted in jest, O'Leary is the one guy that I could see as a feasible trade possibility, that could actually come in and make a great contribution in ways that sometimes don't show up on the stat sheets.

Having a good team is more about overall roster quality, than some other factors.  The reality is, you just can't have 22 All-Pros on your starting lineup.  So, having better quality in your reserve stock, that can contribute in ways that raise up some of the starters that are less than stellar is key.  O'Leary, with his ability to be a pass catcher, in-line blocker, or h-back, makes him able to fill multiple roles.  Imo, CJ Uzomah has really been a disappointment.  With all his physical tools, massive catch radius, etc., I really expected him to push for playing time by now.  I could totally see a guy like O'Leary bumping Uzomah, or even Hewitt from the roster.  Sure, Hewitt was given a nice contract, but he's been dinged up and seldom used as of late.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2018, 03:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like this thought, would welcome Shaq Lawson here with open arms.

Boyd i think is going to be solid but he isn't spectacular, i think we would end up on the good side of this
trade just like the others. Ross is our up and comer along with Malone. Boyd like i said will be solid, he is
just not very explosive like these two are.

BTW, i like the Bills now, tied for my second favorite team with the Vikes for taking Bodine from us lol

While I would certainly value a strong pass-rusher over a slot WR that was in the coaches doghouse (Harley?) last year, I don't give up on Boyd just yet.  As a second rounder, this is his big year before getting a possible extension or being able to walk after next season.  His value to the team should be very high, and I just don't see anyone else jumping out as a possible slot WR.  Erickson is a solid rotational slot guy, but Boyd should be one of the starting three WRs.

The big wait is injuries.  They are bound to happen.  We could go from loaded to paper thin at WR in no time.  I am really looking forward to the camp battles, and hope guys like Auden Tate, Malone, and Core can become solid options and the team can go four-wide looks and also spell Ross and Green from time to time.  

And I am so with you on the Bills and Vikings.  My other "backup" team (other than the Browns, and I know that is a downer for some) is the Titans.  I really like Mike Vrabel as a coach and like the way they have built their team.  Mariota still has a way to go, but I like watching them.

I would love to see a Vikings and Bengals Super Bowl.  
Reply/Quote
(07-14-2018, 09:03 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Aside from the absurd scenarios that were posted in jest, O'Leary is the one guy that I could see as a feasible trade possibility, that could actually come in and make a great contribution in ways that sometimes don't show up on the stat sheets.

Having a good team is more about overall roster quality, than some other factors.  The reality is, you just can't have 22 All-Pros on your starting lineup.  So, having better quality in your reserve stock, that can contribute in ways that raise up some of the starters that are less than stellar is key.  O'Leary, with his ability to be a pass catcher, in-line blocker, or h-back, makes him able to fill multiple roles.  Imo, CJ Uzomah has really been a disappointment.  With all his physical tools, massive catch radius, etc., I really expected him to push for playing time by now.  I could totally see a guy like O'Leary bumping Uzomah, or even Hewitt from the roster.  Sure, Hewitt was given a nice contract, but he's been dinged up and seldom used as of late.

One warning on O'Leary, every game he plays in, the broadcast team has to bring up his grandfather is Jack Nicklaus. It gets pretty annoying.
Reply/Quote