Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Dalton Trade Being Reported
Let's hope https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/17/cincinnati-bengals-andy-dalton-trade-jaguars-interested/ happens!

Quote:based on a note from NFL.com’s Mike Silver:

“As he hunkers down like the majority of Americans, Dalton is doing his best not to obsess over where he might end up. The Jacksonville Jaguars — who hired his former Bengals offensive coordinator, Jay Gruden, to serve in that role in January — have interest in signing Dalton if the price is right. Dalton would likely be viewed as a backup plan should things not go smoothly with Gardner Minshew, a 2019 sixth-round pick who emerged as the starter last season.”

I wonder how they could get to "the right price?"
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What is Jax cap room looking like? Can they afford another 17 million?

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What is Jax cap room looking like? Can they afford another 17 million?

Not from what I hear. I guess he'd have to agree to a pay cut? Or maybe a player for player trade? 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:27 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Not from what I hear. I guess he'd have to agree to a pay cut? Or maybe a player for player trade? 

Correct.
They have $14.4 mill, which is expected to be used up with their expected draft picks.
So basically they have nothing unless they cut/trade someone.

A potential trade could be Dalton for Ngakoue straight up, as both have about the same contract duration and cost (1 year, $17.8 mill).
Both teams would still basically be on the cusp of going over the cap though, so they'd have to restructure/cut someone else if they did this trade.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
There was also speculation earlier for that trade to work the Bengals would have to agree to pick up part of Dalton's salary

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:27 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: Not from what I hear. I guess he'd have to agree to a pay cut? Or maybe a player for player trade? 

Dalton ($17,000) for Cam Robinson OT ($2,233,053) Tyler Shatley G ($1,512,500)  and Josh Allen DE ($5,168,781) 

Jags would break even in terms of cap space. Bengals don't need to worry about drafting OLinemen. 
Reply/Quote
the best case scenario is a draft day trade, we are not going to pick up any of Dalton's salary when we can cut him for nothing. The league knows were not going to keep him at 17 million and their waiting it out for him to be cut.
Reply/Quote
Jacksonville does not have enough cap space to trade for Dalton, and they don't have much room to cut because a ridiculous $34 million of their salary cap is being burnt on dead money for players they don't even have anymore. Nick Foles is still on their books for $18+ million this yea.

As the OP states the jags are interested in SIGNING Dalton, not trading for him.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:44 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: the best case scenario is a draft day trade, we are not going to pick up any of Dalton's salary when we can cut him for nothing. The league knows were not going to keep him at 17 million and their waiting it out for him to be cut.

The problem is with the Jags' cap space. They're at $114,000 if they sign all their draft picks. Basically zero

To break even on cap space, they'd have to get to $8.5 million for Dalton. That would be 60% of the money ($14,281,976) they have to spend on draft picks. 

Round 1, Pick #9 - - - - - - - - $3,822,949

Round 1, Pick #20 - - - - - - - - $2,480,292
Round 2, Pick #42 - - - - - - - - $1,422,751
Round 3, Pick #73 - - - - - - - - $884,379
Round 4, Pick #116 - - - - - - - - $806,579
Round 4, Pick #118 - - - - - - - - $802,828
Round 4, Pick #140 - - - - - - - - $737,275
Round 5, Pick #157 - - - - - - - - $691,636
Round 5, Pick #165 - - - - - - - - $689,070
Round 6, Pick #189 - - - - - - - - $656,788
Round 6, Pick #206 - - - - - - - - $651,072
Round 7, Pick #223 - - - - - - - - $636,357

They might, if they were stupid, do that for Patrick Mahomes, but not for Andy Dalton. 
Reply/Quote
Yeah, so Mike Silver is basically either saying they will pursue him once the Bengals cut him if he'll agree to a team friendly deal, OR they'll trade for him if we pick up part of his salary. But in the latter case, finding enough compensation from them that picking up part of his salary would be worth it is a long shot.

Jags don't have enough cap space - yet. But they will unload Ngakoue's franchise tag eventually, and no it doesn't have to be Dalton for Ngakoue. Once they trade him to somebody else, they can take on at least part of his salary. Or if a player is involved it would most likely be Norwell or Linder.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 05:44 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: the best case scenario is a draft day trade, we are not going to pick up any of Dalton's salary when we can cut him for nothing. The league knows were not going to keep him at 17 million and their waiting it out for him to be cut.

See article below, on how the Dolphins ate $5m of Tannehill's salary in order to get draft pick compensation for him, and not even that much. Of course, they were awash in cap room at the time, but if we got good enough compensation for Dalton, we could do something similar (albeit maybe not $5m). Point being, how much we swallow and what we get for it in terms of draft capital is a balancing act. It all depends. The question basically boils down to this: minus Dalton's salary, would you rather acquire another lower-tier veteran, or spend that on draft capital? Not advocating either, just saying it's an open question. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001067003/article/how-titans-traded-for-ryan-tannehill-and-what-it-means
Reply/Quote

This. Someone will sign Dalton, but I think a trade is less likely. We aren't keeping him at $17 million, and teams know this.

So I think some teams are going to see how the draft shakes out, and if they don't land a guy for 2020, they'll sign Dalton after he's cut.

My guess is the Patriots or possibly the Jags after they create some space. I doubt their roster is finalized and they'll probably clear up some room after they draft someone's (cheaper) replacement. Jay is the OC there and he still has a very high opinion of Dalton.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Dalton’s agent could work out a new contract with Jacksonville contingent upon a trade. Provided Dalton wants to go to Jacksonville for less money. The alternatives are call the Bengals bluff and play out his remaining year at $17M which is a possibility because they have the cap space. Or gamble on getting a better offer than the Jags from another team after getting released by the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 07:29 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Dalton’s agent could work out a new contract with Jacksonville contingent upon a trade. Provided Dalton wants to go to Jacksonville for less money. The alternatives are call the Bengals bluff and play out his remaining year at $17M which is a possibility because they have the cap space. Or gamble on getting a better offer than the Jags from another team after getting released by the Bengals.

Well, the second option that you list is appearing to more and more be the one likely to be taken.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Gimme two fourth round picks for dalton.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 08:00 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Gimme two fourth round picks for dalton.

It won't matter what they offer in picks, if they can't afford to take on Dalton's salary.  The Bengals have already spent the money elsewhere, pretty much.  Eating a significant portion of Dalton's salary doesn't really benefit the team much.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 07:29 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Dalton’s agent could work out a new contract with Jacksonville contingent upon a trade. Provided Dalton wants to go to Jacksonville for less money. The alternatives are call the Bengals bluff and play out his remaining year at $17M which is a possibility because they have the cap space. Or gamble on getting a better offer than the Jags from another team after getting released by the Bengals.

I think you're partially right, partially not. Dalton's agent can't talk to Jax without our approval. So maybe we give him approval, but more likely we act as the go-between, negotiating between Dalton and Jax. If it's like the Tannehill trade - the details of which I linked a few posts above - then we kick in a chunck, Jax kicks in a chunk plus incentives, and they give us some compensation so that they don't have to negotiate against New England on the open market once he's released. 

But no, we don't have the cap room to keep him. Claims that we do originate from the Bengals as posturing to try to maintain leverage. 
Reply/Quote
Ngakoue's Franchise tender is more than Dalton's salary. If they trade him, and why wouldn't they since he refuses to report, they would have the money needed to handle Dalton's contract.
Reply/Quote
I’d offer Dalton, 2020 3rd, and 2021 5th for Ngakoue.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2020, 08:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It won't matter what they offer in picks, if they can't afford to take on Dalton's salary.  The Bengals have already spent the money elsewhere, pretty much.  Eating a significant portion of Dalton's salary doesn't really benefit the team much.

The last part of that I disagree with (assuming you mean it doesn't help the Bengals much). I just think it's a matter of how much money and what draft pick. Let's say we eat 4 million (Miami ate 5m of Tannehill's salary just to get  4th round pick). What veteran(s) can we get at this point for that? A veteran in decline, or a couple other pieces that nobody has tried very hard to sign at this point? But turn that into an early day 3 pick and we get a player on a rookie salary who we control for the next 4 years, with an opportunity to develop within our system. 

I'm not advocating it one way or another, just saying it's a complex situation based on many unknown variables. And lots of stars would have to line up the right way for a trade to happen. 
Reply/Quote