Poll: Which of the 3 options in this POLL would upset you the most ?
Vita Vea or Da Ron Payne taken in round 1 to set up a Geno Atkins departure in 2019
A top rookie Corner taken in round 1 to set up a Darqueze Dennard departure in 2019
Marcus Davenport taken in round 1 to set up a Carlos Dunlap departure in 2019
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
If we don’t resign all 3 & plan for 1 to leave with a 1st round pick/Upset most Poll
(03-08-2018, 03:30 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: They would all upset me. I’m sick of them trying to replace our stars before they leave and ignoring our weaknesses in the meantime. If we continue to draft to replace our great players while they’re still here we will never get over the hump. Fix the holes we have now with our top picks, then when our current strengths leave our old weak spots will be our new strengths and vice versa. At least that way we are getting better. If we draft someone to be a possible replacement a year or 2 down the line we aren’t getting any better and are wasting the time we have left with Geno/Dunlap/etc. Let’s put the pieces they need around them and try to win now instead of trying not to lose in the future.

Amen to all of this. When you avoid FA like the plague AND use the draft to replace players years in advance, it leaves little to no room for improvement. Yet another reason why this team stagnated after hitting on Atkins, Dunlap, Green and Dalton. It was a good core, but they did nothing to capitalize via FA, and they took a bunch of players in the draft who sat.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2018, 03:57 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Amen to all of this. When you avoid FA like the plague AND use the draft to replace players years in advance, it leaves little to no room for improvement. Yet another reason why this team stagnated after hitting on Atkins, Dunlap, Green and Dalton. It was a good core, but they did nothing to capitalize via FA, and they took a bunch of players in the draft who sat.

I see it as them doing a high percentage of "Financial Planning Drafting" with early round picks.

It has it's benefits, however, when they have another former GM like Bill Polian or Charlie Casserly do mock drafts for the Bengals early picks, they usually focus on a weak area of the starting team and then draft to improve that starting spot.

Mock drafting 101 looks at starting team needs and mocks to improve those weaknesses in many cases. (Not in all cases but many)

The Bengals seem to me to be "Financial Planning Drafting" with early round picks in many cases.

It will be interesting to see how our first two 2018 draft picks fall into this spectrum. It should be telling.

(starting roster weakness upgrade versus longer term Financial Planning to replace a current solid starter)
Reply/Quote
I voted Dennard, but only after some thought...my gut reaction was definitely Geno and I would hate seeing Geno anywhere else as many have said. I voted against my gut reaction because of the options we have to make keeping Dennard possible...we could cut/trade DreK instead, cut Adam Jones now and offer a front loaded contract (restructuring Dennard’s deal)...Dennard has been injuried a lot, but so was DreK early on and he showed less while on the field than Dennard (minus one game against the Broncos) IMO. I also hate the idea of reaching for any CB other than Minkah (or maybe Ward) at the 12 spot and I think neither will be available.

I would hope all three get deals done, but if Dunlap is the odd man out I think they have in house options (Willis, Lawson). Ideally, the Bengals either lockdown all three or they go out and get a good OL FA and lock down two.
Reply/Quote
Well the one guy we cannot lose is Geno, so i went option 1.

Even though i really like Vea or Payne at 12 we still need Geno here regardless.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals will have a ton of cap space next season I don't see any reason why they can't sign all three if they want to.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2018, 02:17 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: Dennard got more votes than Carlos?

I think the question confused some people.

The question wasn't which one of the three's departure would they least like, but also which departure + draft replacement irked them the most.  I voted the Dennard option because I'm sick and tired of drafting first round corners and letting all of them(sans Kirkpatrick) walk out the door - especially when they can't get on the field until almost the end of their contract.

Geno's departure would be most upsetting, but I actually like both Vea and Payne.  Same with Davenport - I could live with him as a first rounder.  Another corner would be a super frustrating pick.
Reply/Quote
Honorable mention for Ross taken in round 1 to plan for AJ Green running away from the franchise screaming?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote