Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Reds Help In July Draft
With Reds in LAST and AAA Louisville in LAST, let us look to the July Draft.  Again, this is not the NFL where players can help right away. Looking more to 2025 for Reds, however they could help Reds Minor Leagues quickly.

I went on MLB Draft Site.  There are 20 Rounds.  It does Reds no good to draft someone who goes to college and gets thrown back in a draft to all teams years later.  So I looked more at players leaving college who have no major injuries, because these players are as good as the Reds Single A teenagers already at places such as Dayton Dragons.  These players around 20 or 21 out of college would not need much Single A and would move up to Double A Fast, making them a year closer to being Reds.

So Looking at Where Reds Draft and The Top 200 Rankings per MLB Site, Here are 8 Players I see n the boards that could help in Reds Rebuild.

PICK ONE :  At Pick 18 in the Draft, Reds might get GABRIEL HUGHES, a 20 year old RHP from Gonzaga.  6'4" and 220 lbs. A good hitter, but a better pitcher.  97 MPH.  Nasty Slider. Good change-up. Great Command of strike zone. Great College Grades also-so Smart. Great Athlete.    A sure fire First Rounder who if on the boards still at 18 as MLB projects, would be a great pick for the Reds. Could be one of best young pitchers in baseball.  Already at Double A Level, and would need little time in Single A.  GREAT ATHLETE

PICK TWO :  At Pick 32 as a Comp Pick for Castellanos.  JUSTIN CAMPBELL, a 21 year old RHP from Oklahoma State.  6'7" and 219 lbs. Won 2020 NCAA Award as Best 2 Way Player.  Good OBP Hitter.  As a Pitcher is 96 MPH with High Spin Rate. Solid Change Up and Curve. Working on Slider.  On rare days he does not have his best stuff, he has shown he can pitch through it.  Of course when he has his good stuff, he is nasty.  GREAT ATHLETE.

Pick Three :  At Pick 55 in Round Two,, DREW THORPE, a 21 year old RHP from Cal Poly. 6'4" and 190 lbs.  93 MPH and also maybe best Change Up in the draft.  His Fast Ball has good rise and sink.  His Change Up has great sink. Also a slider. Great Sink forcing K's or grounders and Hard To Hit.

Pick FOUR :  At pick 73 as a Competitive Balance Pick, JAKE BENNETT, a 21 year old LHP from Oklahoma. 6'6" and 234 lbs.  94 MPH.  Good Change-Up that tumbles at the plate. Also a slider. Easy Delivery. Pounds The Strike Zone.  An Innings Eating Work Horse.

Pick FIVE : At Pick 94 in Round Three. MARCUS JOHNSON, a 21 year old RHP from Duke. 6'6" and 200 lbs.  95 MPH as a Starter, 97 MPH as a Reliever. Great High Spin Slider. Also a change-up.  Lead Duke in Wins and Saves, so could be a Reds starter or reliever

PICK SIX :  At Pick 123 in Round Four. TROY MELTON, a 21 year old RHP from San Diego State. 6'4" and 210 lbs.  Off Season with Pitching Guru Dom Johnson who has worked with pitchers such as Musgrove, so WELL COACHED. 95 MPH. a Slider and working on a curve and a change-up.  Good Size and ATHLETIC.

PICK SEVEN : At Pick 153 in Round Five. NOLAN McLEAN, a 20 year old 3rd Baseman and RHP from Oklahoma State. 6'3" and 205 lbs.  Great 2 way prospect and also a QB at Oklahoma State before focusing only on baseball.  Could be a power hitting 3rd Baseman if he can hit for a better average, but can launch moon shots. No question on his Pitching at high 90's and a curve and a slider.  Could be a Power Hitting 3rd Baseman or a Quality Reliever.  VERY ATHLETIC.

PICK EIGHT : At Pick 183 in Round Six. QUINN MATHEWS, a 21 year old LHP from Stanford.  6'4" and 192 lbs. 91 MPH. Good Change-Up, Slider, Curve.  Could be a Starter or a Lefty Reliever.

Those are the 8 that look to be on the board when Reds Pick.  All very Athletic.  All Healthy.  All out of College, which is as good as Dayton Dragons, so they all should move up to Double A very fast.   Yes, a Focus On Pitching, but good Pitching and Defense beats good Hitting.   Also note that the Reds have 14 Rounds more to draft.  So I am not ruling out the Reds getting hitting help.  However some Reds are very young such as Stephenson and India.  Every Baseball Team needs Pitching, and The Reds need Pitching more than most teams.  Teams do not turn loose of good young pitchers, so The Draft is a good way to get some.

Again, this is based on MLB Draft Info, I am no scout, but I take the scouting on them by MLB.   I avoided Tommy John Pitchers or other injuries already or Substance Abuse.  These very Athletic Players are to this point Problem Free and Ready To Go and Move Fast up Reds Minor League System.  There is no point in drafting an 18 year old heading to LSU and a wasted pick.  So I stuck with players out of college and already at Dayton Dragon Level.

Johnny Bench might like my 3 Oklahoma or Oklahoma State Players.  They do look like the Best On The Board where The Reds Draft. Marty might like the versatile pitcher from Duke, since Marty often talked his North Carolina hoops teams.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
I'm bumping this back to Top with Draft this Sunday.

I just heard on MLB TV that The Yankees would love to get Castillo from Reds....If they don't have to give Reds much in return.

I still say the Reds will be in Last Place until The Votto Contract ends in 2024 or 2025.

The ONLY help the Reds can get is building for THE FURURE of 2024 or 2025 IN THE DRAFT. So who the Reds draft is more important than this awful 2022 season that will get more awful if they trade Castillo this month.

I made a list of Top Pitchers, and I hope Reds grab some of these Pitchers for THE FUTURE. The Reds could be real good, once Votto retires and takes his highest paid Red ever, no trade contract with him. The 1990 were no accident. Reds GM said he started building that 1990 World Series Team in The Draft for 5 or 6 years. Drafting Larkin and Davis and all the young players in the 1980's to win in 1990.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote