Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Spain return?
(08-13-2022, 12:51 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Yeah though as time goes on I'd imagine he is willing to come down in price more and more. 

It is interesting to note that Riley Reiff got a 1 year deal from the Bears for 3 million. You could argue that despite his age and trouble staying healthy he is worth more (based on position and play) than Spain. I would have no problem with us dropping 2 million on Spain. I hope he wouldn't either. We get a starter while also creating depth by letting Volson be his backup and letting Carman backup Tackle hopefully. He gets to play and make some money. Who knows, maybe we even win the SB this year and he gets a chance to make people forget the last play he had in the last one (which yeah, blocking Aaron Donald isn't an easy ask). 

Or the opposite could happen. A starter goes down on a contender during Preseason and suddenly Spain looks better. I get it, we're most likely going to ride with what we got. Our best hope is JC figures in out real quick. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We need to bring in a vet or two for depth. Someone to compete to start at LG, and we need someone who can backup both tackle spots.
Reply/Quote
Spain is an upgrade over what we had on the field against the Cardinals.Volson was playing against second and third string players,so we can’t take to much from that.Although,I like Volson,and I think there’s a good chance that he might be a starter in the near future.That said,if they can get Spain at a bargain price,I would sign him.

But I don’t look for that to happen.Spain has been in the league a good while now,and I think he’s going to hold out for the money.He knows it’s just a matter of time until linemen go down with injuries,and someone is going to be in desperate need of a veteran LG.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 10:02 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Who exactly scapegoated Spain? I never saw anything like that anywhere...

Fans lit Spain up for giving up the the sack to Aaron Darnold on the last Bengal play of the SB.  Especially because Chase was wide open due to the CB falling down.
Reply/Quote
It is curious that we have not even heard a rumor of any team being interested in Spain.

I am beginning to believe that he is not healthy/available yet.
Reply/Quote
Spain? Only at Veteran Minimum, that dude looked spent, defeated, and completely without energy in the Superbowl. At this point in his career, he's a good stop-gap, but don't rely on him when the stakes are high.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 03:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Spain?  Only at Veteran Minimum, that dude looked spent, defeated, and completely without energy in the Superbowl.  At this point in his career, he's a good stop-gap, but don't rely on him when the stakes are high.

That's the thing, I think we're at stopgap territory.  I'm sure they weren't happy he didn't take accountability and are very serious about culture.  That gave the youngsters they hope to groom a position to fight over.  None have taken it yet, and is it worth the risk to wait.

It comes back to this, we are a contender and should make moves like one.  We should be attracting ring chasers, if one signs great.  Spain was their 2nd best OL last year.  If that tweet means he's humbled, and if he's healthy and cheap sign him up. 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 03:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Spain? Only at Veteran Minimum, that dude looked spent, defeated, and completely without energy in the Superbowl. At this point in his career, he's a good stop-gap, but don't rely on him when the stakes are high.

He was going against the best DT in the game, and was playing hurt

But I’m sure you don’t factor that in
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 03:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Spain? Only at Veteran Minimum, that dude looked spent, defeated, and completely without energy in the Superbowl. At this point in his career, he's a good stop-gap, but don't rely on him when the stakes are high.

He’d automatically be the 2nd best OG on the team. And I doubt he’d take vet minimum. Not sure they should be quibbling over a few million here or there when It’s about protecting the franchise.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 05:04 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’d automatically be the 2nd best OG on the team.

To be fair, the current 2nd best G on the team is prob a 3 way tie between Adeniji, Volson, and Carman
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 05:06 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: To be fair, the current 2nd best G on the team is prob a 3 way tie between Adeniji, Volson, and Carman

Right, that’s exactly why they should bring Spain back. If any of those guys were looking good we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 02:48 PM)BacknDaDey Wrote: Fans lit Spain up for giving up the the sack to Aaron Darnold on the last Bengal play of the SB.  Especially because Chase was wide open due to the CB falling down.

Those fans have zero football knowledge. Leaving Spain one on one against Donald was never going to work. It was either a coaching failure or Hopkins failure to call the proper protection and slide over for the double team on that last play. Spain was our second best lineman last year. 
Reply/Quote
It should have never come down to that play in the first place if we could pick up 1 lousy yard.

Reply/Quote
The entire last play was a cluster:
Even on 4th down I would have backed Mix to get a yard running it.
Leaving Spain 1 on 1 with one of the best of all time.
Burrow missing Uzomah open
Perine half arsing it.

To blame Spain wasn’t fair he didn’t help himself with how he acted after and Inassume that’s the only reason he’s not signed back already.

Some pride needs to be swallowed though as he’s the most viable option and makes us better if Carmen starts teams will know our weak link and it could be embarrassing again.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 09:31 AM)BacknDaDey Wrote: Wow...Spain was the scapegoat that supposedly was the cause of losing the SB on the Bengals last play.  What a difference 6 months makes now wanting him to return.

Oh please.  There has been a certain over reacting crowd that has wanted spain back from day 1......with the same people stating they want him back over and over.

And I haven't heard Spain being Scapegoated.......it's clear on that last play that the ENTIRE LINE whiffed.  I mean it was like they thought it was going to be a screen or something.......every LAR was running loose.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 03:40 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Spain?  Only at Veteran Minimum, that dude looked spent, defeated, and completely without energy in the Superbowl.  At this point in his career, he's a good stop-gap, but don't rely on him when the stakes are high.

It's sad that is his synopsis at the moment......yet......still a better option than Carman. 

How crazy is that?
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2022, 06:52 PM)Stewy Wrote: Oh please.  There has been a certain over reacting crowd that has wanted spain back from day 1......with the same people stating they want him back over and over.

And I haven't heard Spain being Scapegoated.......it's clear on that last play that the ENTIRE LINE whiffed.  I mean it was like they thought it was going to be a screen or something.......every LAR was running loose.

Being on the side that's not impressed with Spain have to agree that Spain has gotten much more love on here than scapegoating and still does. Personally every time Ive vented about that play its because Perrine did not dive to try and make the catch and don't think Ive ever blamed Spain for being overmatched. 

Don't really want him back personally but will be ecstatic if the Bengals do and he proves me wrong. Don't hate him, just think he is lethargic off the snap. 

Plus not crucifying anybody over the first preseason game or hit panic button, especially when the team was missing many key players. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I'll never understand how this stuff works. But I remember reading that he was working out at the facility with Burrow and others over the offseason- as a free agent, no less. I don't think he even met with any other teams. Almost like they've always known they would bring him back, just for some reason haven't been able to announce it yet. Maybe he's still rehabbing the ankle.

Either way, I'd take him back for sure, with or without Volson and Carman.
Reply/Quote
People saying stuff like “wasn’t too impressed with Spain anyways”, but his pff score was right around Cappa’s, and nobody is bashing that dude
Reply/Quote
Why the upgraded other spots on the OL, and penciled Carman in as the starter...I don't get.

Depth is a big issue on the line too. When healthy, it should be good...but guys like Collins historically miss chunks of games.
Reply/Quote