Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible new helmet?
Gotta love the Browns version.

[Image: productImages%2f_2605000%2fff_2605066_fu....jpg&w=600]
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2017, 11:25 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This helmet actually exist?  That would be pretty different and nice!

Yeah, dude! That's me holding mine in post #5 in this thread.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 12:57 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I believe that is just a decal swap, correct?

regardless, it will be a cold day in pittsburgh before mb shells out cash for 2 sets of helmets.

Isn't it cold in Pittsburgh now Tongue
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 04:27 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Yeah, dude! That's me holding mine in post #5 in this thread.

It looks great
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I didn't realize this was available last year.

Bummer. Was hoping it was an alternate helmet for the color rush jerseys
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 03:09 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: The helmets are not painted.  The plastics they use for the outer shells are colored according to the end use.  In the case of the Rams, and I believe the bronocos, they just swap out a different sticker on the side of the helmet.

Not sure what the case for player safety is in only allowing them to have one helmet.  

There isn't one. It's just the reason Goodell gave when he came up with the rule a few years ago. It's BS. There's another reason, but we'll likely never know what it is. Maybe he doesn't want teams going the NCAA route with entirely different uniforms every week. Maybe it costs a significant amount of $$$ to alter helmets. Or maybe he just hates the idea altogether, too gimicky... But then there's the color rush crap that's obviously a moneymaker...

Who knows??
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 08:21 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: There isn't one. It's just the reason Goodell gave when he came up with the rule a few years ago. It's BS. There's another reason, but we'll likely never know what it is. Maybe he doesn't want teams going the NCAA route with entirely different uniforms every week. Maybe it costs a significant amount of $$$ to alter helmets. Or maybe he just hates the idea altogether, too gimicky... But then there's the color rush crap that's obviously a moneymaker...

Who knows??

Yeah, if that's the case, I'm with Roger on that one.  College unis are a dizzying, ugly circus at this point.  I'm looking at you, Oregon.

I would like to see the colors inverted on the helmet, though.  That was sweet.  While we're at it, bring back the 90's unis, too, as our alternate.  They were the best of the bunch.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Meh, I like the uniforms the way they are. I usually like the awesomely badness of the color rush unis (plus, the games are usually ultra-boring division matchups between bad teams), but ours just looked like Raiders Away jerseys with the small B logo on them. The idea of seeing that year-round is a kick in the nuts.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 03:15 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Ugly.

Why can't the just swap the colors on the helmet? Black with orange stripes.

That would be cool indeed not crazy about the frosty the snowman hat.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 08:21 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: There isn't one. It's just the reason Goodell gave when he came up with the rule a few years ago. It's BS. There's another reason, but we'll likely never know what it is. Maybe he doesn't want teams going the NCAA route with entirely different uniforms every week. Maybe it costs a significant amount of $$$ to alter helmets. Or maybe he just hates the idea altogether, too gimicky... But then there's the color rush crap that's obviously a moneymaker...

Who knows??

There is a reason but it's one I don't agree with. With the focus on concussions this was a way of looking like they are addressing the issue. They claim a proper fitting is done at the start of the season and so there is no risk no other helmet can be used during the season. This way someone doesn't use an improperly fitting helmet.

Years on a motorcycle at the track have taught me proper fit is key to limiting concussion risk. The problem I have with the one helmet limit is the multiple impacts the helmet is expected to absorb. Hairline fractures in the shell and compressed pads will not absorb or dispurse energy like a fresh one will and will only increase risk over time. If they are truly interested in player safety they would fit each player with a few helmets at the start of the season and rotate them so the shells can be properly inspected and pads replaced.
Reply/Quote
Where is the orange & black? Color rush uniforms were shitty last year.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 10:33 PM)motoarch Wrote: There is a reason but it's one I don't agree with.  With the focus on concussions this was a way of looking like they are addressing the issue.  They claim a proper fitting is done at the start of the season and so there is no risk no other helmet can be used during the season.  This way someone doesn't use an improperly fitting helmet.

Years on a motorcycle at the track have taught me proper fit is key to limiting concussion risk.  The problem I have with the one helmet limit is the multiple impacts the helmet is expected to absorb.  Hairline fractures in the shell and compressed pads will not absorb or dispurse energy like a fresh one will and will only increase risk over time.  If they are truly interested in player safety they would fit each player with a few helmets at the start of the season and rotate them so the shells can be properly inspected and pads replaced.

Gotcha. But as you said it's a poor reason. They're either full of crap when they say they care about player safety or they're just not thinking about the issue. While they're ultra-safe-fitting the helmet at the beginning of the season why not fit another alternate helmet or two? Oh well, I guess I shouldnt care so much... concussions can't be prevented anyway but I guess they gotta pretend like they can. Gotta keep up that illusion of safety to keep the lawyers at bay and the career Mommy's from having hissy fits every time their kid gets a bruise playing football  Whatever

Reply/Quote
(05-03-2017, 08:34 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Yeah, if that's the case, I'm with Roger on that one.  College unis are a dizzying, ugly circus at this point.  I'm looking at you, Oregon.

I would like to see the colors inverted on the helmet, though.  That was sweet.  While we're at it, bring back the 90's unis, too, as our alternate.  They were the best of the bunch.

Oh I definitely agree with that. The college game of musical uniforms has gotten pathetic. Just about every team has endless combinations of uniforms. Hardly anybody has an identity anymore. I remember when I was growing up every team had a certain "look". Usually just had one helmet, maybe two pairs of pants to choose from... They were iconic. You knew right away who was playing who. Now? If it wasn't for the mini scoreboard in the corner of the tv, I wouldn't be able to tell if it was UC, San Diego State, Texas Tech, etc...

Well at least UC is toning it down a notch (they announced all-black uniforms for every home game). Tuberville seemed to be the "mastermind" behind the Bearcats endless supply of uniform combos. 
Reply/Quote

Cause tigers ain't black with orange stripes? 

I personally hate that idea. But I happen to love our current helmets. 

Reply/Quote

That's not ugly at all. That helmet is sick
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 03:30 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Cause tigers ain't black with orange stripes? 

I personally hate that idea. But I happen to love our current helmets. 

Shocked

Tigers aren't white with silver stripes either...

Why is there a rule we have to resemble tigers as close as possible. That's weird.

If we want to look like tigers we should go with this. LOL

[Image: 2016-New-Spring-Winter-Well-Made-Good-Qu...Bengal.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 11:14 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote:  
Shocked

Tigers aren't white with silver stripes either...

Why is there a rule we have to resemble tigers as close as possible. That's weird.

If we want to look like tigers we should go with this. LOL

[Image: 2016-New-Spring-Winter-Well-Made-Good-Qu...Bengal.jpg]

I wouldn't want silver stripes either. A white helmet with black stripes would be cool for color rush, but that's about it. 

And it's not weird. I don't want a blue lion or some weird shit. We are named after one of the coolest looking animals in the world, don't mess with it. 

Reply/Quote
The Eagles proposed a rule change to allow different helmets, but then they pulled that proposal before it ever got to a vote at the owner's meetings.

So, again, we'll go back to why the Bengals don't have different helmets and "other teams do." Other teams don't have different helmets. IF you see the colors/logos change it's because they use decals. The Bengals helmet is constructed out of orange plastic. The black stripes are painted on, not decals. So...it can't be changed.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 12:51 PM)jowczarski Wrote: The Eagles proposed a rule change to allow different helmets, but then they pulled that proposal before it ever got to a vote at the owner's meetings.

So, again, we'll go back to why the Bengals don't have different helmets and "other teams do." Other teams don't have different helmets. IF you see the colors/logos change it's because they use decals. The Bengals helmet is constructed out of orange plastic. The black stripes are painted on, not decals. So...it can't be changed.

Wow. Great info Jim!

I thought I saw the Rams with different helmets...but that makes sense.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2017, 12:51 PM)jowczarski Wrote: The Eagles proposed a rule change to allow different helmets, but then they pulled that proposal before it ever got to a vote at the owner's meetings.

Thank you for the insight, much appreciated. Why did the Eagles back out of their proposal? Any chance the Bengals or another team issue a similar proposal anytime soon?
Reply/Quote