Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible strategy from the Chiefs game?
So, I heard it floated this morning that the plan by the Bengals was always to drop 8 into coverage and play man defense but not until AFTER halftime so as to avoid Reid making any halftime adjustments to it. Meaning they had to weather the first half but they believed this defense would shut the Chiefs offense down.

What do you guys think? Did the Bengals coaches really have a plan in place they just knew was going to work but waited until after halftime to pull it off? Or did they have their plan and it didn't work and then they made halftime adjustments which did work? Or some other option?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I look at the Rams as tougher on defense than KC, but not as tough on offense. I do like that the Bengals will finally be facing a QB that isn't a burner.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 10:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I look at the Rams as tougher on defense than KC, but not as tough on offense.  I do like that the Bengals will finally be facing a QB that isn't a burner.

Agree they are tougher on defense than the Cheifs SHRacerX, but playing at Arrowheads is about as difficult as it gets so it shouldn't be any more difficult than that.

I'm personally looking forward to see what the Rams do with Chase.  Will they allow Ramsey to defend him 1 on 1 without any help over the top?  I believe he is the #1 rated PFF corner.
Reply/Quote
where did you hear said theory Phil?
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 10:25 AM)bonesaw Wrote: where did you hear said theory Phil?

One of the guys on the Locked On Bengals podcast mentioned they heard it somewhere.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I think the Rams will try to run more. The Chiefs were gashing us and a good running game keeps your offense on the field and theirs on the sideline. That’s the only way to stop Burrow and Company.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 12:07 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I think the Rams will try to run more. The Chiefs were gashing us and a good running game keeps your offense on the field and theirs on the sideline. That’s the only way to stop Burrow and Company.

I don't think McV makes the same mistakes that Blandy Read made and Stafford has been around long enough to know to not get greedy at the critical moments, but you never really know.. Stafford has also thrown a ton of INT's at critical moments and can just disappear from time to time.. If the Bengals are expecting runs they can stop em with the best so they have to guess correctly. if they're getting gashed over and over on the ground that pretty much eliminates dropping 8 all day.. If we can shut down their run game early and get a good lead early then dropping 8 makes a ton of sense.. Stafford ain't beating anyone with his legs.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 10:24 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: I'm personally looking forward to see what the Rams do with Chase.  Will they allow Ramsey to defend him 1 on 1 without any help over the top?  I believe he is the #1 rated PFF corner.

I think they'll put Ramsey on Higgins, and double Chase with the other guys
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 12:19 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I think they'll put Ramsey on Higgins, and double Chase with the other guys

This is how Belichick used to play teams, the issue is it forces you into man which is where Burrow is best. I can see them going to it sporadically with some late rotation help but it’s still leaves Boyd alone one on one with their 3rd best option and that’s a bad matchup for them.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 12:07 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I think the Rams will try to run more. The Chiefs were gashing us and a good running game keeps your offense on the field and theirs on the sideline. That’s the only way to stop Burrow and Company.

Topou ought to be healthy by then to help Reader with the run..
Reply/Quote
That is some pretty clever coaching if true.

Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 10:01 AM)PhilHos Wrote: So, I heard it floated this morning that the plan by the Bengals was always to drop 8 into coverage and play man defense but not until AFTER halftime so as to avoid Reid making any halftime adjustments to it. Meaning they had to weather the first half but they believed this defense would shut the Chiefs offense down.

What do you guys think? Did the Bengals coaches really have a plan in place they just knew was going to work but waited until after halftime to pull it off? Or did they have their plan and it didn't work and then they made halftime adjustments which did work? Or some other option?

Perhaps ?

Did they do the same thing in the regular season game ?
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 10:03 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I look at the Rams as tougher on defense than KC, but not as tough on offense.  I do like that the Bengals will finally be facing a QB that isn't a burner.

Yep

Stafford will look great a couple series/throws so on. But he nearly always has a couple series each game where he implodes. We have to be ready to take advantage of his mess ups.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 12:52 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep

Stafford will look great a couple series/throws so on. But he nearly always has a couple series each game where he implodes. We have to be ready to take advantage of his mess ups.

I hope they have Eli Apple spending an extra hour or two after practice working on ball skills and Jugs machine drills. He's in position to make a huge INT at least once a game it seems like but he's gotta finish this time. 
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 12:55 PM)GAWhoDey Wrote: I hope they have Eli Apple spending an extra hour or two after practice working on ball skills and Jugs machine drills. He's in position to make a huge INT at least once a game it seems like but he's gotta finish this time. 

Right, get him an industrial sized jar of stickem or something haha 
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 10:26 AM)PhilHos Wrote: One of the guys on the Locked On Bengals podcast mentioned they heard it somewhere.

I'm sure it was my post yesterday in another thread they read  Cool

I threw it out as a wondering aloud thing.  If that's actually what they did, it's super ballsy.  But it's interesting that they played some snaps in the first half that showed the approach would work, but waited till the second half to really roll it out.  Like they tested the theory but wanted to make sure KC didn't have an answer to it.  Makes you wonder at least.  Gutsy as hell, but if that's what they did, it sure paid off. 
Reply/Quote
I think if we get our noses out in front, Stafford may press.

If the Rams try to put Ramsey on an island with Chase, double Higgins, and dare us to run vs Donald, that is how they shut us down. I doubt they start there because it is risky if Chase wins. But it is a card they have up their sleeve, and I'd expect them to use it. FWIW, missing CJ would really hurt in that scenario.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 12:19 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I think they'll put Ramsey on Higgins, and double Chase with the other guys

If Higgins is given a 1:1 situation the whole game, regardless of corner, he is a hood bet for MVP.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 10:01 AM)PhilHos Wrote: So, I heard it floated this morning that the plan by the Bengals was always to drop 8 into coverage and play man defense but not until AFTER halftime so as to avoid Reid making any halftime adjustments to it. Meaning they had to weather the first half but they believed this defense would shut the Chiefs offense down.

I doubt anyone would go down 21-3 in hopes of waiting until half time to make adjustments. That’s tied for the biggest comeback in championship game history. Lol
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 01:41 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I think if we get our noses out in front, Stafford may press.

If the Rams try to put Ramsey on an island with Chase, double Higgins, and dare us to run vs Donald, that is how they shut us down. I doubt they start there because it is risky if Chase wins. But it is a card they have up their sleeve, and I'd expect them to use it. FWIW, missing CJ would really hurt in that scenario.

Boyd.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote