Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Christmas mock
Post Christmas mock.

Rd1- zerhan Newton DT Illinois- been consistent with this all year. If he’s there he’s the pick. Immediately is clear cut 3-tech starter. He should push for 7-10 sacks immediately and watch a reinvigorated pass rush on the dline, as now oline have to prepare for more than Hendrickson.

Rd2- Brandon dorlus DT/edge Oregon-(tevondre sweat would be the DREAM HERE) continuing with the dline revitalization, Brandon dorlus is a edge that can play 3-4 edge, or kick inside on obvious passing downs. His raw power is geno like, and he has the speed and availing to be a stand up rusher or play2-5 tech. Another immediate impact player on dline, though not as immediate as Newton.

Rd3.-Cade stover te osu- after Brock bowers, stover is my favorite te in this class and a draft crush, wherever he ends up. Dude is exceptional, catches everything, and ALWAYS makes someone miss, usually a few someone’s. He’s a very very good blocker, as well as a great pass catcher. Very capable up the seam not just on check downs. Rebuild of te room starts now.

Rd4-Jackson powers Johnson-c Oregon- ted karras replacement, powers Johnson needs a year, but he’s got all the tools to be an above average center at the next level,

Rd5- Christian mohagany g BC-a elite run blocker who has some questions in pass pro. He tends to play to high in pass protection, but he’s a very good athlete who can be coached up. Alex cappa replacement. I have high hopes for him. Think he’s massively underrated. He should become a above average RG.

Rd6-Nasir stack house DT Georgia- the dj reader replacement. I don’t believe we resign reader and even so he’s declining. Stack house is similar to reader in offers nothing in the pass rush game, but run into his area at youre own Risk. He’s a brick wall, even on double teams. Does a great job of letting ball carrier commit to lane before disengaging and making tackle. Would slide right into that NT role.

Rd7- Latham ransom s osu- these are dart-throws, and I throw a dart at safety which is an area we’re weak in. Latham ransom brings major physicality to the position, as well as god high football is and elite athleticism.
Reply/Quote
Interesting stuff. I think you are on the right track and we will need interior DLine help next year because as you noted, Reader will need to be replaced and our depth is poor there in general. Look at how bad things have gotten with just Reader out, and we still have a healthy BJ Hill, Hubbard, and Hendrickson. If you can't manage to stop the run when missing just one starter then you are in trouble for sure.

That said, the first round might be a tough place to fix things. If Newton isn't there (I have seen him mocked 8th overall and 16th) would you consider a right tackle? Either JC Latham or Amarius Mims are who I have in mind. 

I do think Brandon Dorlus is a great 2nd round pick and there is a good chance he will still be available at that point. And I love your 3-5 picks.

For round 6 another option might be Cam Jackson. If bother of them are there I might still go with Nasir but it doesn't hurt to have a backup pick in case he is gone. 

In the 7th round I'd rather take a flyer on Jordan Strachan (tall, lanky DE).Interesting stuff. We will need interior DLine help next year and of course we already can see what things look like without DJ Reader.

If Newton isn't there (I have seen him mocked 8th overall and 16th) would you consider a right tackle? Either JC Latham or Amarius Mims are who I have in mind.

I do think Brandon Dorlus is a great 2nd round pick and there is a good chance he will still be available at that point.

In the 7th round I'd rather take a flyer on Jordan Strachan (tall, lanky DE) or Cam Jackson (run stopping DT) if they are there.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Jackson Powers Johnson while inconsistent at Center at the beginning of the year really came on strong to finish...

JPJ won the Rimmington Award and was AP All-American First Team as hands down the best Center in College Football. I'm saying a Day 3 Pick probably isn't going to cut it.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Man, you have way more confidence in Smith or Carman starting at RT and Yoshi and Jones starting at WR than I do.

We would also basically be carrying 4 3-techs after this, which isn't really realistic.

7-10 sacks as a rookie for Newton also simply isn't realistic. Over the last two drafts classes, there are only two pass rushers that had 7+ sacks as a rookie and Jalen Carter has the most by a DT at 5.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 09:40 AM)Synric Wrote: Jackson Powers Johnson while inconsistent at Center at the beginning of the year really came on strong to finish...

JPJ won the Rimmington Award and was AP All-American First Team as hands down the best Center in College Football. I'm saying a Day 3 Pick probably isn't going to cut it.
Center only prospects just aren’t in high demand. Pretty much every mock draft simulator has him in this range. But regardless you could replace him with Zac zinter who is going in the same.
(12-27-2023, 10:40 AM)Whatever Wrote: Man, you have way more confidence in Smith or Carman starting at RT and Yoshi and Jones starting at WR than I do.

We would also basically be carrying 4 3-techs after this, which isn't really realistic.

7-10 sacks as a rookie for Newton also simply isn't realistic. Over the last two drafts classes, there are only two pass rushers that had 7+ sacks as a rookie and Jalen Carter has the most by a DT at 5.
In this scenario, we resign tee and Jonah, jones/yoshi takes over as starting slot.
Also not sure where you see 4- 3techs? Currently wr only have one legit 3-tech on roster. And he’s a free agent after next year doubt they resign. It’s why we need 3. We need a starting nose and 3-tech, along with backup 3-tech.lastly I do think it’s realistic for Newton as most dts aren’t stepping into as weak of a situation as we have.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 07:20 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: Interesting stuff. I think you are on the right track and we will need interior DLine help next year because as you noted, Reader will need to be replaced and our depth is poor there in general. Look at how bad things have gotten with just Reader out, and we still have a healthy BJ Hill, Hubbard, and Hendrickson. If you can't manage to stop the run when missing just one starter then you are in trouble for sure.

That said, the first round might be a tough place to fix things. If Newton isn't there (I have seen him mocked 8th overall and 16th) would you consider a right tackle? Either JC Latham or Amarius Mims are who I have in mind. 

I do think Brandon Dorlus is a great 2nd round pick and there is a good chance he will still be available at that point. And I love your 3-5 picks.

For round 6 another option might be Cam Jackson. If bother of them are there I might still go with Nasir but it doesn't hurt to have a backup pick in case he is gone. 

In the 7th round I'd rather take a flyer on Jordan Strachan (tall, lanky DE).Interesting stuff. We will need interior DLine help next year and of course we already can see what things look like without DJ Reader.

If Newton isn't there (I have seen him mocked 8th overall and 16th) would you consider a right tackle? Either JC Latham or Amarius Mims are who I have in mind.

I do think Brandon Dorlus is a great 2nd round pick and there is a good chance he will still be available at that point.

In the 7th round I'd rather take a flyer on Jordan Strachan (tall, lanky DE) or Cam Jackson (run stopping DT) if they are there.

If Newton isn’t there I would love to trade back(provided another top 10 talent doesn’t fslll) to acquire 2 additional top 100 picks. That’s the strength of class. Latham goes top 10 every single simulator and Kim’s worries me with no real starting experience. I love dorlus but would much prefer sweat there. But ideally we trade back if possible for a hauls provided no top 10ish prospects fall.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 02:13 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Center only prospects just aren’t in high demand. Pretty much every mock draft simulator has him in this range. But regardless you could replace him with Zac zinter who is going in the same.

JPJ played most of his games at Right Guard in 2022 he moved to Center in 2023.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 03:51 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Post Christmas mock.

Rd1- zerhan Newton DT Illinois- been consistent with this all year. If he’s there he’s the pick.  Immediately is clear cut 3-tech starter. He should push for 7-10 sacks immediately and watch a reinvigorated pass rush on the dline, as now oline have to prepare for more than Hendrickson.

Rd2- Brandon dorlus DT/edge Oregon-(tevondre sweat would be the DREAM HERE) continuing with the dline revitalization, Brandon dorlus is a edge that can play 3-4 edge, or kick inside on obvious passing downs. His raw power is geno like, and he has the speed and availing to be a stand up rusher or play2-5 tech. Another immediate impact player on dline, though not as immediate as Newton.

Rd3.-Cade stover te osu- after Brock bowers, stover is my favorite te in this class and a draft crush, wherever he ends up. Dude is exceptional, catches everything, and ALWAYS makes someone miss, usually a few someone’s. He’s a very very good blocker, as well as a great pass catcher.  Very capable up the  seam not just on check downs. Rebuild of te room starts now.

Rd4-Jackson powers Johnson-c Oregon- ted karras replacement, powers Johnson needs a year, but he’s got all the tools to be an above average center at the next level,

Rd5- Christian mohagany g BC-a elite run blocker who has some questions in pass pro. He tends to play to high in pass protection, but he’s a very good athlete who can be coached up. Alex cappa  replacement. I have high hopes for him. Think he’s massively underrated. He should become a above average RG.

Rd6-Nasir stack house DT Georgia- the dj reader replacement. I don’t believe we resign reader and even so he’s declining. Stack house is similar to reader in offers nothing in the pass rush game, but run into his area at youre own Risk. He’s a brick wall, even on double teams. Does a great job of letting ball carrier commit to lane before disengaging and making tackle. Would slide right into that NT role.

Rd7- Latham ransom s osu- these are dart-throws, and I throw a dart at safety which is an area we’re weak in. Latham ransom brings major physicality to the position, as well as god high football is and elite athleticism.

(12-27-2023, 02:13 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Center only prospects just aren’t in high demand. Pretty much every mock draft simulator has him in this range. But regardless you could replace him with Zac zinter who is going in the same.
In this scenario, we resign tee and Jonah, jones/yoshi  takes over as starting slot.
Also not sure where you see 4- 3techs? Currently wr only have one legit 3-tech on roster. And he’s a free agent after next year doubt they resign. It’s why we need 3. We need a starting nose and 3-tech, along with backup 3-tech.lastly I do think it’s realistic for Newton as most dts aren’t stepping into as weak of a situation as we have.

Would love this honestly, think Powers Johnson and Stackhouse will go way before this but you never know. I see you have us re-signing 
Tee and Jonah in this 2nd post so I have to quote it as well. As Synric said, Powers Johnson has played Guard a lot too, so not an only 
Center prospect. To get Newton, Dorlus and Stackhouse would help the DL a ton. I just doubt we draft 3 DT's, maybe 2.

Love the picks, just expect a lot of these guys to go earlier. Mahogany is a good pick for sure, really like him in the mid rounds.
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 02:34 PM)Synric Wrote: JPJ played most of his games at Right Guard in 2022 he moved to Center in 2023.
Yes but he’s considered center only at next level, unless I’ve missed something.
(12-27-2023, 07:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Would love this honestly, think Powers Johnson and Stackhouse will go way before this but you never know. I see you have us re-signing 
Tee and Jonah in this 2nd post so I have to quote it as well. As Synric said, Powers Johnson has played Guard a lot too, so not an only 
Center prospect. To get Newton, Dorlus and Stackhouse would help the DL a ton. I just doubt we draft 3 DT's, maybe 2.

Love the picks, just expect a lot of these guys to go earlier. Mahogany is a good pick for sure, really like him in the mid rounds.

I REALLY don’t understand why mahogany goes so late in every simulator. Consensus #2 guard via pff, #3 guard by ESPN. Solely run stuffing dts just aren’t prioritized high. You’re right we probably only get 2, but we need 3. My ideal scenario if we only get 2 is Newton and sweat first 2 rounds
Reply/Quote
(12-27-2023, 09:49 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Yes but he’s considered center only at next level, unless I’ve missed something.

I REALLY don’t understand why mahogany goes so late in every simulator. Consensus #2 guard via pff, #3 guard by ESPN. Solely run stuffing dts just aren’t prioritized high. You’re right we probably only get 2, but we need 3. My ideal scenario if we only get 2 is Newton and sweat first 2 rounds

Just saw that Free Agency is stacked with great DT's too. Chris Jones, Christian Wilkins, Pierce and Madabuike from the Ravens and many 
others. I could see Wilkins in FA and Newton in the first round. This would really improve the Defense big time. But if we don't go after a 
DT in FA I would love Newton and Sweat for sure to start off the Draft.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2023, 03:28 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just saw that Free Agency is stacked with great DT's too. Chris Jones, Christian Wilkins, Pierce and Madabuike from the Ravens and many 
others. I could see Wilkins in FA and Newton in the first round. This would really improve the Defense big time. But if we don't go after a 
DT in FA I would love Newton and Sweat for sure to start off the Draft.

That’s interesting…. Would we rather pay jones 30 million? Or Jonah 20 million? Obviously I would love to get jones instead of Jonah, but we can get a great DT prospect in draft. But we can’t get a great rt prospect in draft(imo). That’s a interesting dilemma. If we do get jones, sweat still makes a lot of sense for a NT. I hesitate to call him dj reader 2.0, but that’s in terms of he actually has pass rush capability, I’m a big proponent of getting a ton of top 100 picks this year so for me unless Newton is there I trade back every time. Newton is very underrated even as dt1 to me. Dude is going to be an elite DT.
Reply/Quote