Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this the draft we pick a new backup QB?
I think it's apparent the organization and Burrow value Brandon Allen's tangibles for the QB room and in-game contributions when discussing the offense with Burrow; however, is it possible the Bengals try to improve talent at the backup QB position through the draft?

If yes, who do you speculate is a viable and realistic pick?

Spencer Rattler - South Carolina
Malik Cunningham - Louisville
Hendon Hooker - Tennessee
Bo Nix - Oregon
Max Duggan - TCU

Who else could be considered?

I assume they'd want a big body, good passing type that mirror's Burrow's style for the offense?

Obviously, the team could go the FA route but hey, this is the draft forum.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He's probably going to go early day 3 possibly late day 2 but Cameron Ward from Washington State is my guy if youre gonna target a backup QB.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 02:35 PM)Synric Wrote: He's probably going to go early day 3 possibly late day 2 but Cameron Ward from Washington State is my guy if you gonna target a backup QB.

Funny, I was just reading up on him but didn't include him on my initial short list because I only marked guys I know.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 02:32 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think it's apparent the organization and Burrow value Brandon Allen's tangibles for the QB room and in-game contributions when discussing the offense with Burrow; however, is it possible the Bengals try to improve talent at the backup QB position through the draft?

Bo Nix - Oregon
Max Duggan - TCU

I assume they'd want a big body, good passing type that mirror's Burrow's style for the offense?

I believe Nix returned.

But as to your original question, if the draft position was low enough, I'd consider Hooker. Not going to be someone who would try to supplant Burrow but could provide a spark if needed.
Reply/Quote
Zac and Burrow love Brandon Allen. According to the beat writers, the coaches also like Browning.

As much as I'd like us to draft a backup, I'm not holding my breath.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2023, 02:32 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I think it's apparent the organization and Burrow value Brandon Allen's tangibles for the QB room and in-game contributions when discussing the offense with Burrow; however, is it possible the Bengals try to improve talent at the backup QB position through the draft?

Bo Nix - Oregon
Max Duggan - TCU

Rattler and Nix are returning to college for another season

Joe Burrow just turned 26 a month ago.  Hendon Hooker will be coming off injury and will turn 25 in a few days.  

I don't think the Bengals need to draft a backup but if there are some decent choices in the 6th-7th round at highest than you could give it a look. 

Not sure who falls to later on but Stetson Bennett and Aidan O'Connell will get drafted.  Little later worth a look is Clayton Tune from Houston and Dorian Thompson-Robinson from UCLA.
Reply/Quote

Bo Nix - Oregon
Max Duggan - TCU

We won't draft a backup, but if we did, I would go for Matt McDonald: his game-winning TD pass to their RB Taron Keith, was a Burrow-lite play and he improved each year, while performing ok against P5 (BGSU sucked last year, but this year was better), team captain, leader, offense not too different from ours.

Hell, Bowling Green has at least 3 prospects that I'd welcome on the team this year, with Karl Brooks being the frontrunner (early day 3, late day 2 3T with an insane motor).

But Brandon Allen's going nowhere.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Max Duggan would be my pick... he's either a 6th or 7th round maybe even undrafted.

Although the Championship game really made me question it though.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
I feel like this kid is going to slide a little, due to his height (6'1" 205lbs).
I'd like to have Jaren Hall in the 5th or 6th round, although he'll likely be taken in the 4th.
He is 25, runs a 4.5 in the 40, his accuracy is decent, has a high football IQ, good anticipation on timing routes, and his legs are pretty dynamic.
If Burrow goes down, it will likely be because of losses on our offensive line.
This kid can give us a shot of enduring the situation and keeping us in contention, while awaiting the return of injured linemen and/or Joe.
I also believe he could fill in at RB or WR, if needed in a pinch.

*edit* I added the second video, as I feel it gives a bit of insight to his character.

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2023, 01:05 AM)hotchili9 Wrote: Rattler and Nix are returning to college for another season

Joe Burrow just turned 26 a month ago.  Hendon Hooker will be coming off injury and will turn 25 in a few days.  

I don't think the Bengals need to draft a backup but if there are some decent choices in the 6th-7th round at highest than you could give it a look. 

Not sure who falls to later on but Stetson Bennett and Aidan O'Connell will get drafted.  Little later worth a look is Clayton Tune from Houston and Dorian Thompson-Robinson from UCLA.

That'd be crazy if the arrest saw him drop seemingly out of the draft and we snagged him in the 7th
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2023, 04:02 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That'd be crazy if the arrest saw him drop seemingly out of the draft and we snagged him in the 7th

Most guys had him as a 4th-5th round type.  Then he declined the senior bowl.  He'll be around later.
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure drafting and grooming a backup QB is Zach's strength. Maybe a FA re-tread might be the better route.

Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 09:22 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Most guys had him as a 4th-5th round type.  Then he declined the senior bowl.  He'll be around later.

Yep, drunk, naked and hiding in the bushes in a neighborhood near you.  Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I dont think Stetson Bennett is an NFL QB.  I think he did good because of the talent around him

I thought Duggan looked very good in the couple of games I watched until the Championship game.  He was very bad and it makes me doubt if he is ready to be a QB in the NFL

Hendon Hooker like Duggan looked like he didnt belong on the field against an elite team like Georgia.  He will go up against talent like that every week in the NFL.

Im not really a fan of any of the guys being talked about.
Reply/Quote