Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Combine Mock Version 1.0
So let me start off by saying that I think there is a very strong chance that McCarron is not in stripes next year... And the most likely trade targets would be the Broncos at 31 or the Browns at 32.  I personally think he ends up with Hue in Cleveland, so therefore I have accounted for this trade in my mock.  The Browns make the trade to secure their QB of the future, and in doing so leave themselves available to take the best player at no. 2.  In my opinion I think they are going to take Bosa. So here goes the draft...

1. Robert Nkemdiche DT/DE Ole Miss
Versatile, dominant defender with some behavioral red flags. At this point in the first round, the reward greatly outweighs the risk and we get a dominant defender for our Dline.

2a. Josh Doctson WR TCU
At 32 we get our replacement for M Jones. Slightly raw at receiver, but the athleticism will make you salivate.

2b. Miles Killebrew S Southern Utah
Killebrew is a physical specimen. Perfect player to work in a hybrid olb/safety role. 3 down impact player.

3. Maliek Collins DT Nebraska
Collins has first round athleticism and talent. A lack of production recently has brought down his stock. Consider this a huge steal.

4. Jaylon Smith LB Notre Dame
Jaylon falls to the 4th because of nerve damage. We take a chance on him because of his ability, knowing he won't touch the field this year at all.

5. Kyle Friend C Temple
Bodine is the weak link on the line. Friend is the type of tenacious, yet athletic center that we need.

6. Mike Jordan CB Missouri Western
Small school CB prospect with NFL talent. If he is here in the 6th he may be the steal of the draft.

7. Mike Thomas WR Southern Miss
Not the OSU Mike Thomas, but shows a lot of the same ability. Small school receiver who needs to learn and develop. Great pick for the future.

C12Schleyer

[Image: 175fb1ebe161ecda7fb32824e3682755.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I will be shocked if this team spends a first round pick on a Defensive Tackle. Not because I don't see the need for it but because they rarely value the position this high. They drafted Devon Still in the 2nd round and he was a bust. Big Daddy back in the day with the first pick and he was a bust. They have had success with guys in the 3rd and 4th rounds like Atkins, Peko, Thompson, Sims, and they are hoping Hardison. I think they stick to that trend with drafting in the middle to late rounds for Defensive Tackles.

I do like your Doctson pick because the more I watch him the more I think he would be a good complement to AJ. He has decent speed for his size and his greatest asset is his leaping ability to go up and get the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if he is our pick at #24 at all. The only reason for not picking him in the first is rolling the dice and hoping we can still end up with someone like Tyler Boyd, Will Fuller, Michael Thomas, Sterling Shepherd in the 2nd round at the position.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 11:44 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I will be shocked if this team spends a first round pick on a Defensive Tackle. Not because I don't see the need for it but because they rarely value the position this high. They drafted Devon Still in the 2nd round and he was a bust. Big Daddy back in the day with the first pick and he was a bust. They have had success with guys in the 3rd and 4th rounds like Atkins, Peko, Thompson, Sims, and they are hoping Hardison. I think they stick to that trend with drafting in the middle to late rounds for Defensive Tackles.

I do like your Doctson pick because the more I watch him the more I think he would be a good complement to AJ. He has decent speed for his size and his greatest asset is his leaping ability to go up and get the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if he is our pick at #24 at all. The only reason for not picking him in the first is rolling the dice and hoping we can still end up with someone like Tyler Boyd, Will Fuller, Michael Thomas, Sterling Shepherd in the 2nd round at the position.
I was torn between picking Spence or Nkemdiche at 24. I went with Nkemdiche because he can play DT or DE

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 11:55 AM)c12schleyer Wrote: I was torn between picking Spence or Nkemdiche at 24. I went with Nkemdiche because he can play DT or DE

I don't think I would take either guy in the first round. There is just too much risk for that. Have to take that into account..now if one of them slipped to our pick in the 2nd round then it would be a different story. My personal dream pick in the 1st round is Darron Lee at Outside Linebacker and then we start focusing on the best receiver left in the 2nd round out of Doctson, Coleman, Fuller, Boyd, Sheppard, or Thomas. Good mock overall though.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 12:03 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I don't think I would take either guy in the first round. There is just too much risk for that. Have to take that into account..now if one of them slipped to our pick in the 2nd round then it would be a different story. My personal dream pick in the 1st round is Darron Lee at Outside Linebacker and then we start focusing on the best receiver left in the 2nd round out of Doctson, Coleman, Fuller, Boyd, Sheppard, or Thomas. Good mock overall though.

Nkemdiche got busted for a party. Possession of pot.

Is this "too much risk"?

Spence was kicked off osu for marijuana. This is more so a risk.

But, I don't know if I would say that the "risk" of dkemiche is too much.
Reply/Quote
How about the customary position/school, for those of us not familiar with all of the names in the draft?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 11:08 AM)c12schleyer Wrote: So let me start off by saying that I think there is a very strong chance that McCarron is not in stripes next year... And the most likely trade targets would be the Broncos at 31 or the Browns at 32.  I personally think he ends up with Hue in Cleveland, so therefore I have accounted for this trade in my mock.  The Browns make the trade to secure their QB of the future, and in doing so leave themselves available to take the best player at no. 2.  In my opinion I think they are going to take Bosa. So here goes the draft...

Robert Nkemdiche 1
Versatile, dominant defender with some behavioral red flags. At this point in the first round, the reward greatly outweighs the risk and we get a dominant defender for our Dline.

Josh Doctson 2a
At 32 we get our replacement for M Jones. Slightly raw at receiver, but the athleticism will make you salivate.

Miles Killebrew 2b
Killebrew is a physical specimen. Perfect player to work in a hybrid olb/safety role. 3 down impact player.

Maliek Collins 3
Collins has first round athleticism and talent. A lack of production recently has brought down his stock. Consider this a huge steal.

Jaylon Smith 4
Jaylon falls to the 4th because of nerve damage. We take a chance on him because of his ability, knowing he won't touch the field this year at all.

Kyle Friend 5
Bodine is the weak link on the line. Friend is the type of tenacious, yet athletic center that we need.

Mike Jordan 6
Small school CB prospect with NFL talent. If he is here in the 6th he may be the steal of the draft.

Mike Thomas 7
Not the OSU Mike Thomas, but shows a lot of the same ability. Small school receiver who needs to learn and develop. Great pick for the future.

How about this??

1. William Jackson III  CB Houston

2a.Shillique Calhoun DE Mich St

2b.  Sterling Shepard  WR Oklahoma

3. Christian Westerman  G/C  Arizona St

4. Hassan Ridgeway  DT  Texas

5.Elandon Roberts  LB  Houston

6. Justin Simmons  FS    BC

7. Mike Thomas WR   S Miss
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 07:46 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: How about the customary position/school, for those of us not familiar with all of the names in the draft?

Updated for you

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2016, 07:36 PM)Bengalfan11164 Wrote: Nkemdiche got busted for a party. Possession of pot.

Is this "too much risk"?

Spence was kicked off osu for marijuana. This is more so a risk.

But, I don't know if I would say that the "risk" of dkemiche is too much.

Thought Nkemdiche got so high he fell out a window? Also, didn't he throw his teammate Tunsil under the bus at the combine? Also seems like he has effort concerns? Spence was popping Molly and suspended then we he could have earned his spot back he went and did it again. 
Reply/Quote
I think this mock is radical and interesting in a lot of ways. The theme for the 1st and 3rd picks would be you're taking raw talent that may not "fit" into what we've seen so far. I think the staff needs to ask themselves if they see him as a player that can play DE/DT like Gilberry and MJ but at a higher level (hence using a 1st on him), or if he's just a true UT. Same goes for Killebrew, you fill two needs with one player ideally, but is he the ideal fit for what you want your D to be?

I like Dotson a lot, but not quite enough to take at 1 and he won't be there at Cincy's #2. Props for the reasoning behind Cleveland acting on a trade, it's debatable if someone gives that price for AJ but we see what Hue's pull did in Oakland. I'm not sold on Nkemdiche, if the production of Collins causes him to fall then what is Nkemdiche worth? I do get what you're doing though, and I like the idea of having Friend and Smith as redshirts. Friend is a solid piece of clay to groom, maybe he isn't as versatile but maybe Bodine slides to RG if both play well and Zeitler leaves as the best RG on the market. I have no clue where someone will draft Jaylon, but what most of us want is long term upside vs short term payoff at LB. Vinny, Dawson and maybe Flowers and Hawk or another can round out the roster this year and Smith could compete to start if he can actually play. Not sure you use a 4th on guy unless you're sold that he will recover. Overall, it's a curve of a mock and worth considering provided Lewis and Guenther see eye to eye.
Reply/Quote
I hate when people do this kinda mock because it doesn't stick with what the team has ever done especially in the last 6 years. Someone on this forum mentioned the trade to cleveland for McCarron and now its everyones best idea ever, but its not going to happen. We don't draft DT's in the first round especially a guy with character issues.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
There is about a 1% chance McCarron gets traded. If there hasn't been any interest by now, it's probably not happening.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 02:23 PM)Okeana Wrote: I hate when people do this kinda mock because it doesn't stick with what the team has ever done especially in the last 6 years.  Someone on this forum mentioned the trade to cleveland for McCarron and now its everyones best idea ever, but its not going to happen.  We don't draft DT's in the first round especially a guy with character issues.

I may have been the first one to mention the trade of McCarron to Cleveland. I mentioned it in a mock the week that Hue took the job. It may be unlikely, but it makes sense. For both teams. Maybe I should make a mock draft with the picks going in the assigned, sequential order... Since that is exactly how teams draft every year... Oh wait, it's not.

And we haven't drafted a 1st round DT in awhile, it doesn't mean we won't. If you could name a position of need (outside of WR, because I took care of that need in my draft also) that could also be BPA I would consider your argument.

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 02:26 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: There is about a 1% chance McCarron gets traded.  If there hasn't been any interest by now, it's probably not happening.

It hasn't happened yet because Kaep is still available to them. If they can't get him, they will turn their attention to McCarron. They want Kaep because they can get him cheaper than McCarron (from a trade perspective) based on recent play alone.

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 08:08 AM)c12schleyer Wrote: It hasn't happened yet because Kaep is still available to them. If they can't get him, they will turn their attention to McCarron. They want Kaep because they can get him cheaper than McCarron (from a trade perspective) based on recent play alone.

Denver is offering a 4th round pick for Kaepernick.  So much for that theory we would get a 2nd rounder 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 08:07 AM)c12schleyer Wrote: I may have been the first one to mention the trade of McCarron to Cleveland. I mentioned it in a mock the week that Hue took the job. It may be unlikely, but it makes sense. For both teams. Maybe I should make a mock draft with the picks going in the assigned, sequential order... Since that is exactly how teams draft every year... Oh wait, it's not.

And we haven't drafted a 1st round DT in awhile, it doesn't mean we won't. If you could name a position of need (outside of WR, because I took care of that need in my draft also) that could also be BPA I would consider your argument.

The drudgery of reading this response was just as painful as I assumed it was going to be.  You offer no counter arguments other than... Well it could happen.  The same decision makers are making the picks this year and our chances of drafting a bad character guy in a non skill position in the first round is about as likely as the Browns giving us a 2nd round pick for a guy who could barely win with one of the best rosters in the NFL.  This mock is good enough... for me to poop on.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 09:50 AM)Okeana Wrote: Denver is offering a 4th round pick for Kaepernick.  So much for that theory we would get a 2nd rounder 

There's a big difference between Kaep and AJM.

AJM is dirt cheap for the next 2 years, that alone adds extra value to AJM. A second rounder I could deal with, but I think we could force a 1st.
Reply/Quote
I can't get behind the Nkemdiche pick. Of course it's not me interviewing him, but for all his talent he has two red flags, production and possibly character. When you got more than one issue, i tend to look the other way.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 10:02 AM)Okeana Wrote: The drudgery of reading this response was just as painful as I assumed it was going to be.  You offer no counter arguments other than... Well it could happen.  The same decision makers are making the picks this year and our chances of drafting a bad character guy in a non skill position in the first round is about as likely as the Browns giving us a 2nd round pick for a guy who could barely win with one of the best rosters in the NFL.  This mock is good enough... for me to poop on.

Let me ask you a question, what good is McCarron on this roster? He will sit on the sidelines with a clipboard in hand. We have to sell now before he loses his value.

And last time I checked a DE is a highly sought position in the NFL... But just because this guy can play DE or DT he isn't valuable enough for you? He may be a bad character guy, but we have the locker room to fix that. 

McCarron almost beat the steelers in the playoffs, and would have if the defense and Hill didn't ruin it at the end. Give him the credit he deserves. 

And isn't the entire point of a mock draft predicting "what could happen"? Your narrow mindedness makes me think that you are incapable of complex thought.

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 01:16 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: There's a big difference between Kaep and AJM.

AJM is dirt cheap for the next 2 years, that alone adds extra value to AJM. A second rounder I could deal with, but I think we could force a 1st.

This is exactly my point.

C12Schleyer

Reply/Quote