Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post-Combine, Pre-FA Mock
This mock will be very short-lived given teams can start negotiating contracts tomorrow and FA officially opens up on Thursday, but here goes.

I'm only going to post my first four rounds because everything from the comp pick in the 4th and after still matches my previous mock.
This mock is based on the assumption that the medicals check out for my first and fourth round picks. If they don't, I wouldn't have these players selected in those rounds.

1) John Ross, WR Washington (5'11", 188 lb) - After seeing JR get a 4.22 40, I had to go watch some tape. This dude is the real deal. He makes something out of nothing. He always beats coverage deep. He is great at curl routes. Imagine JR going deep with AJ and opening up underneath routes for Eifert and Boyd. If the defense sits in, JR will blow by them. He's the same size as Cooks and AB, but over a tenth of a second faster.
Some might think JR won't be a factor if the OL is a sieve, but I beg to differ. JR isn't just a deep threat that takes time to build up speed. He's a threat from all over the field and should be able to get instant separation. This would allow Dalton to find another open receiver before pressure gets to him.

2) Alvin Kamara, RB Tennessee (5'10", 215 lb)
- The Bengals have taken two RBs in the second round in recent years, so this wouldn't be a shock. Kamara is used to playing in a timeshare, is a great receiver, has experience playing ST, and is shifty enough to find yardage without relying solely on gaping holes (looking at you, Jeremy).

3) Jordan Willis, DE Kansas St (6'4", 255 lb) - Willis was rated PFF's highest graded edge defender in 2016. He put on a show at the Combine, putting up top-5 performance for DL in the 40, 3-cone, and shuttle. In 2016, Willis had 17.5 TFL and 11.5 sacks, which followed up a 2015 in which he had 15.5 TFL and 9.5 sacks. He's got a good motor and strong hands to be a complete 4-3 DE. He is criticized for not being able to turn the corner well, but his combine drills showed he has been working on his flexibility.

4) Alex Anzalone, LB Florida (6'3", 238 lb) - Anzalone is a LB that can play all three spots and has the athleticism, instincts, and cover ability to be a 3-down LB in the NFL. Given how the Bengals play so much nickel defense, Anzalone would fit well. He showed good speed, agility, and size at the Combine, but I think he falls because other players boosted their stock more.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Pretty solid, overall. Ross helps the offense in a variety of ways. Kamara should be a good replacement for Hill. Then you hit needs at DE and LB.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 01:14 PM)Whatever Wrote: Pretty solid, overall.  Ross helps the offense in a variety of ways.  Kamara should be a good replacement for Hill.  Then you hit needs at DE and LB.

Thanks. While I think a DE makes sense in Rd 1 (if Thomas is there) or Rd 2 (more likely), I could see the Bengals going after Jeremy McNichols in Rd 3 or 4.
He has a very similar skill set as Kamara in that he's a prolific pass catcher, fast (faster than Kamara actually), and posted good 3-cone and shuttle numbers to indicate he's shifty.
He's also had over 3000 rushing yards, 900 receiving yards, and 50 TDs in two seasons at BSU, so his good Combine is backed by great collegiate production.

Maybe a scenario of something like:
1) John Ross
2) Carl Lawson
3) Alex Anzalone
4) Jeremy McNichols
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I like it a lot. I would be thrilled with this. It would mean that we'd have had to shore up the OLine in FA or have to hit on a couple in the later rounds.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 04:56 PM)McC Wrote: I like it a lot.  I would be thrilled with this.  It would mean that we'd have had to shore up the OLine in FA or have to hit on a couple in the later rounds.

Definitely. I had Danny Isidora with 4comp, who is a very experienced and well-rounded RG from Miami. Then Jon Toth with 5comp for center.
But I could definitely see the Bengals willing to go interior OL somewhere earlier than 4comp then just take like a RB or LB later. I'd probably do RB later in that case given the depth of RBs in this draft class.
Since Kareem Hunt ran over a 4.6 40 and didn't do the 3-cone or shuttle, I could see him possibly sitting there at 4comp. He'd be very similar to Rex Burkhead. Good pass catcher, pick up tough yardage, not very fast in a straight line.

EDIT - I also don't think the Bengals would start a rookie at RG given both the center and RT are on their rookie contracts and mediocre at best right now. I think, if anything, a short-term, versatile OL is brought in as a stopgap for the right side.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-06-2017, 02:12 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Thanks. While I think a DE makes sense in Rd 1 (if Thomas is there) or Rd 2 (more likely), I could see the Bengals going after Jeremy McNichols in Rd 3 or 4.
He has a very similar skill set as Kamara in that he's a prolific pass catcher, fast (faster than Kamara actually), and posted good 3-cone and shuttle numbers to indicate he's shifty.
He's also had over 3000 rushing yards, 900 receiving yards, and 50 TDs in two seasons at BSU, so his good Combine is backed by great collegiate production.

Maybe a scenario of something like:
1) John Ross
2) Carl Lawson
3) Alex Anzalone
4) Jeremy McNichols

I get the need for a DE and LB help, but we were also 24th in scoring offense last year.  Our skill positions need upgrading too.  I can see going DE in 1 or 2 if the value is there, but if not, Ross and Kamara are good picks.  Truthfully, with Hill's struggles and Gio's injury, I wouldn't be opposed to two RB's if Burkhead leaves.
Reply/Quote
Everyone's got stars in their eyes with Ross' 40 time. Can he hit that kind of speed after getting jammed at the line by a corner?
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 09:39 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Everyone's got stars in their eyes with Ross' 40 time. Can he hit that kind of speed after getting jammed at the line by a corner?

Sure, there will be times big corners will get a chance to jam Ross. But the same can be said to players like Cooks, DeSean Jackson, and Antonio Brown, yet they are still able to produce because of their speed and quickness. Ross is extremely quick, not just straight line fast. He's also very good at route running. Ross has proven he can beat press coverage before.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-pff-scouting-report-john-ross-wr-washington/

EDIT - Size comparison between Ross, Cooks, Jackson, Brown, and Corey Coleman
John Ross - 5'10", 188 lbs, 4.22 40
Brandin Cooks - 5'10", 189 lbs, 4.33 40
DeSean Jackson - 5'10", 175 lbs, 4.35 40
Antonio Brown - 5'10", 181 lbs, 4.47 40
Corey Coleman - 5'10", 185 lbs, 4.37 40

So as you can see, there are plenty of receivers in the NFL that are small and fast, but find ways to win with speed, footwork, route running, and hands.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 01:33 AM)Whatever Wrote: I get the need for a DE and LB help, but we were also 24th in scoring offense last year.  Our skill positions need upgrading too.  I can see going DE in 1 or 2 if the value is there, but if not, Ross and Kamara are good picks.  Truthfully, with Hill's struggles and Gio's injury, I wouldn't be opposed to two RB's if Burkhead leaves.

Oh I perfectly get where you are coming from. There's a reason I went with two offensive players then defense after. I think Jordan Willis will be a very good DE. He's very solid all around. Depending on how FA goes, I can see OL in the second round. Perhaps an interior OL that can play both RG and C. But I think the Bengals go with a discount veteran option on the right side (whether that's RG or RT) and Fisher mans the other spot, then Bodine unfortunately starts again at C.

But I think either way, going WR, RB, DE, and LB in the first four rounds would provide a big upgrade to this team.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Have a feeling that Willis will be jumping up draft boards after his combine, so a third may be out of the question. I'm not a big fan of taking a RB high, but overall not bad at all.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 12:44 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Have a feeling that Willis will be jumping up draft boards after his combine, so a third may be out of the question. I'm not a big fan of taking a RB high, but overall not bad at all.

I'd be fine with taking Willis (or a different DE) in the second and RB sometime after that.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 09:39 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Everyone's got stars in their eyes with Ross' 40 time. Can he hit that kind of speed after getting jammed at the line by a corner?

Depends, if he can't then you keep him off the line of scrimmage or put him in motion.

He's been very productive in the red zone as well.  I don't know that I would be ok grabbing him at #9, but he would address a huge need.
Reply/Quote

The better question is how in the hell are they gonna jam him when they're too scared of him sailing by?  Also, he is quick as a cat too, the better to beat jams. And, yes he can.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I don't want John Ross at 9. He has two operated on knees. And slight fast receivers are, historically, not that great in the NFL. And, among the fastest 40 runners, Chris Johnson was basically the only one with a legitimate career. 40 time is important to verify a player is fast enough to play their position, but beyond hitting 4.4 or 4.5, there really isn't much value in going below 4.3. We can't let it hypnotize us.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2017, 11:19 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I don't want John Ross at 9. He has two operated on knees. And slight fast receivers are, historically, not that great in the NFL. And, among the fastest 40 runners, Chris Johnson was basically the only one with a legitimate career. 40 time is important to verify a player is fast enough to play their position, but beyond hitting 4.4 or 4.5, there really isn't much value in going below 4.3. We can't let it hypnotize us.

Smaller speed receivers are now coming of age with the league tending towards a more pass happy rules set.  In fact, 3 of the top 7 WR's in receiving yards last year were 5'10" or under(TY Hilton, Antonio Brown,Brandin Cooks).  They can create mismatches against certain personnel, and we don't have anybody that fits that mold.

Ross is a lot more than a 40 time.  People act like he shot up out of the late 2nd-early 3rd when in reality, he's been ranked as a top 25 prospect throughout much of the off-season process.  The kid can run routes to go along with that speed.

His medical is a valid concern, however, a lot of other top prospects have medical issues, as well.  Allen and Hooker have shoulder issues.  Foster has shoulder and concussion problems.  Fournette and Davis have ankle issues.  Williams broke his neck.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 01:46 AM)Whatever Wrote: Smaller speed receivers are now coming of age with the league tending towards a more pass happy rules set.  In fact, 3 of the top 7 WR's in receiving yards last year were 5'10" or under(TY Hilton, Antonio Brown,Brandin Cooks).  They can create mismatches against certain personnel, and we don't have anybody that fits that mold.

Ross is a lot more than a 40 time.  People act like he shot up out of the late 2nd-early 3rd when in reality, he's been ranked as a top 25 prospect throughout much of the off-season process.  The kid can run routes to go along with that speed.

His medical is a valid concern, however, a lot of other top prospects have medical issues, as well.  Allen and Hooker have shoulder issues.  Foster has shoulder and concussion problems.  Fournette and Davis have ankle issues.  Williams broke his neck.
Yeah but 2 of those 3 recievers have no running game and qbs who throw a ton. What i dont like is the micrifracture surgery. Thats a ticking time bomb. 
Reply/Quote