Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Day 1 Free Agency MDD Simulation
It was a given that Jessie Bates would be gone in free agency but I am sure many of us would have liked to have seen Vonn Bell back in the fold. However, both have departed but the cupboards are not bare considering we invested draft selections in Dax Hill and Tycen Anderson. Personally I felt that while Jessie was sitting home during camp and the preseason that Hill came as advertised when he was permitted to concentrate on playing safety. I believe we are in pretty good hand with Hill stepping in for Bates and Anderson stepping in for Bell. Sure there will be growing pains but I believe these are both young quality players, but we should not ignore the situation in the draft either.

RD. 1 - 29th Overall

I had the Bengals targeting 4 players at this point and in the following order...D. Wright, D. Washington, A. Harrison, D. Jones. The way the draft had fallen I felt certain the Bengals could grab one of these players while trading down to obtain more draft capital. Pittsburgh offered selections 2-33, 3-81, and 7-243. The Bengals accepted this offer.

RD. 2 - 33rd Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTezTnjpc-NVrri9fQqx-t...A&usqp=CAU]

Darnell Wright - OT - Tennessee - 6'5" 333

The Bengals have tried to solidify the RT position since Willie Anderson and with this selection I believe they hit it out of the park. Both OT positions need upgraded but the Bengals seem relatively committed to Williams at LT and it could be argued that RT was the weak link even when Collins was healthy. This move allows the Bengals to cut Collins with an injury settlement and save considerable cap space that they can use for extensions. Wright is extremely strong and this strength even makes up for moments of poor technique. '22 was far better tape from a consistency aspect for Wright and there is nothing to suggest that this should not continue while working with NFL coaching and strength training.  This should give an immediate upgrade to one of the largest issues with the '22 offense.

RD. 2 - 61st Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKjS-ECo1VvpC_foe652J...g&usqp=CAU]

D.J. Turner II - CB - Michigan - 5'11" 178

If this class was not so deep at CB there would be no way Turner is selected this late and it is possible he won't be here in the draft but if he is the selection could not be made fast enough. The Bengals hit a homerun with Taylor-Britt in the second round last year and lightning strikes twice when the get Turner in the second round this year. Turner is not the biggest, longest, or strongest corner in this draft but what he brings is elite speed, elite technique, and elite football IQ. Turner is a technician on the field that is always in good position and has shown outstanding ball skills. Immediate upgrade to Eli Apple and could be on the field immediately of Awuzie is not ready for the opener. Excellent addition to the room of  Awuzie, Taylor-Britt, and Hilton.

RD. 3 - 81st Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRKCU475kLJSgJp_jThV6B...Q&usqp=CAU]

Tyjae Spears - RB - Tulane - 5'10" 201

The Bengals offense has sorely missed a playmaker at the RB position and how they have one. Spears is a threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball and he runs with outstanding power for a back of his stature. Spears routinely runs through arm tackles and has no issue running between the tackles but has the speed and quickness to scorch a defense on the edges. When this kid hits the open field he has the pure speed to outrun the defense. Some may question the pass blocking abilities of a back his size but Spears was said to have stood out in blitz pickup drills during the senior bowl. Many sources have the Bengals interested in Jamaal Williams and he would make for a great duo with Spears. Spears is an every down back that is an excellent receiver out of the backfield.

RD. 3 - 93rd Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxv1NHkpnGug3C0udhtIV...Q&usqp=CAU]

Jordan Battle - S - Alabama - 6'1" 209

Battle is an extremely solid safety and probably one of the safest selections in this draft. Battle brings good size, strength, and length to the position but more than that he brings a high football IQ and very solid technique. Battle is where he is supposed to be on a regular basis and has the abilities to make the play when he is there. Battle has displayed very good coverage skills and should be able to cover TEs and backs with no issues. Battle is not a big hitter but he is a solid tackler. Of his 6 career interceptions he has take 3 of them back for TDs. Another great addition to the safety room for the Bengals.

RD. 4 - 132nd Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2EgDaCApZOhSqSVzhKeB...Q&usqp=CAU]

Wanya Morris - OT - Oklahoma - 6'5" 307

Morris is the bookend to Anton Harrison at Oklahome manning the RT position for the Sooners. Morris was a 5 star recruit who started his collegiate career at Tennessee. He started as a Freshman and showed real promise however with a slight regression in performance and the arrival of guys like Darnell Wright he fell out of favor. Morris ended up in the portal and decided upon Oklahoma. Morris took over the RT position and started to find his old form again. At the Senior Bowl Morris took snaps in practice at both right and left tackle. There is a bit of a gamble with this selection but I believe that he could be the future at LT considering starter is not a need this season. At the worst the Bengals have a high caliber swing tackle that gives them an option at either position if there is an injury.

RD. 5 - 165th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCk1cpiWy2lEYjJiHx0-E...w&usqp=CAU]

Isaiah McGuire - DE - Missouri - 6'4" 268

In the NFL you can never have too many good corners or put too much pressure on opposing QBs. When watching McGuire I feel a lot like I am watching a Hubbard type player. McGuire needs to polish up some technique issues but when you watch film of him he is a player that you like more an more as you watch. He has good length and strength for the position and has outstanding initial quickness off of the ball. This is a kid that has a really good ceiling and I don't believe his near his peak yet. He should really benefit from being in a room with Hendrickson, Hubbard, and Ossai and from working with Marion Hobby and an NFL strength training program.

RD. 6 - 208th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKxSetKuLtFledaW3KLoB...g&usqp=CAU]

Brenton Strange - TE - Penn State - 6'4" 253

Strange has been climbing the boards since the combine and a selection may need to come sooner in the draft to get him but it sure worked out here. Strange fits this offense to a T. He is extremely athletic in the receiving game and is an outstanding blocker. He may not be elite in any aspect of the game but he is very good in most all of them. He can exploit the seams of a defense and is a threat to gain yards after the catch. This is a deep TE draft which is what pushes Strange down the boards a bit. I really like this selection. It would be nice to have Hurst back in the fold to mentor this young man in being a pro at the position.

RD. 7 - 243rd Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyisc64x9zy7PGIvktAPo...g&usqp=CAU]

Rejzohn Wright - CB - Oregon State - 6'2" 193

Much like Brenton Strange Wright is pushed down the boards being in an extremely deep class of high caliber corners. He has ideal size and length for the position and has displayed the needed speed to play the boundary. Wright is experienced playing zone and man coverage so he should fit well in the Bengals scheme. There are some technique issues such as the use of his hands that he will need to clean up but he has the ceiling of no less than a #2 corner at the NFL level. I see him as a roster player and not a practice squad development project.

RD. 7 - 248th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFWhjUFHD9GgWACgL5lP2...g&usqp=CAU]

Tre Tucker - WR - UC - 5'9" 182

Tucker played much bigger than his stature would suggest at UC and is a receiving threat at all levels of a defense with the track speed to take the top off of a defense. While a short armed receiver of his size may not have an appeal to all teams the accuracy of Burrow make his strengths even more dangerous. Tucker runs like a RB once the ball is in his hands. Experienced punt and kick returner and could be the dynamic option the Bengals have been seeking as a returner for sometime.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 06:07 PM)OSUfan Wrote: RD. 3 - 93rd Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSxv1NHkpnGug3C0udhtIV...Q&usqp=CAU]

Jordan Battle - S - Alabama - 6'1" 209

Battle is an extremely solid safety and probably one of the safest selections in this draft. Battle brings good size, strength, and length to the position but more than that he brings a high football IQ and very solid technique. Battle is where he is supposed to be on a regular basis and has the abilities to make the play when he is there. Battle has displayed very good coverage skills and should be able to cover TEs and backs with no issues. Battle is not a big hitter but he is a solid tackler. Of his 6 career interceptions he has take 3 of them back for TDs. Another great addition to the safety room for the Bengals.

RD. 5 - 165th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCk1cpiWy2lEYjJiHx0-E...w&usqp=CAU]

Isaiah McGuire - DE - Missouri - 6'4" 268

In the NFL you can never have too many good corners or put too much pressure on opposing QBs. When watching McGuire I feel a lot like I am watching a Hubbard type player. McGuire needs to polish up some technique issues but when you watch film of him he is a player that you like more an more as you watch. He has good length and strength for the position and has outstanding initial quickness off of the ball. This is a kid that has a really good ceiling and I don't believe his near his peak yet. He should really benefit from being in a room with Hendrickson, Hubbard, and Ossai and from working with Marion Hobby and an NFL strength training program.

RD. 7 - 248th Overall

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFWhjUFHD9GgWACgL5lP2...g&usqp=CAU]

Tre Tucker - WR - UC - 5'9" 182

Tucker played much bigger than his stature would suggest at UC and is a receiving threat at all levels of a defense with the track speed to take the top off of a defense. While a short armed receiver of his size may not have an appeal to all teams the accuracy of Burrow make his strengths even more dangerous. Tucker runs like a RB once the ball is in his hands. Experienced punt and kick returner and could be the dynamic option the Bengals have been seeking as a returner for sometime.

I like this draft, for Edge, i prefer Incoom over McGuire and Iosivas (Field Stretcher) or Haselwood (Tall Tee type) at WR. I like giving Burrow big red-zone targets!

And I like Battle, but not so sure we need to draft one that high unless the FO isn't ready to move forward with Tycen.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Trading back like you did might have to be the strategy if the Bengals end up being worse after the main part of FA, as they currently are (no 2nd starting safety, no RB2, no TEs, no CB4 yet).

This draft would be quite fine assuming the Bengals re-sign Hurst or bring in some decent vet TE like Tonyan to cover TE1 responsibilities.
Unless you think Strange can be TE1 immediately as a rookie?
Given your last sentence in the Strange section, I assume retaining Hurst is the plan/hope.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If we could trade back and STILL land Darnell Wright while adding picks that would be awesome. I am okay with trading up
for Wright even, only player I would be okay doing this for. Love all the picks, we will see how FA shakes out when it is all said
and done. If we land a vet Safety like I think we will Battle might be able to be replaced with a 3-tech that can rush the passer.

I am still thinking we need push in the middle to make QB's uncomfortable to make this D elite.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 10:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Trading back like you did might have to be the strategy if the Bengals end up being worse after the main part of FA, as they currently are (no 2nd starting safety, no RB2, no TEs, no CB4 yet).

This draft would be quite fine assuming the Bengals re-sign Hurst or bring in some decent vet TE like Tonyan to cover TE1 responsibilities.
Unless you think Strange can be TE1 immediately as a rookie?
Given your last sentence in the Strange section, I assume retaining Hurst is the plan/hope.

I disagree with you about starting safety #2. I believe right now we have that player either in Tycen Anderson of Michael Thomas.

Yes in this scenario I would like to see Hurst back, as we know today it is not happening, however I would have no issue with playing Strange from day 1. His strengths are tailored to the offense of Cincinnati.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 02:40 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I like this draft, for Edge, i prefer Incoom over McGuire and Iosivas (Field Stretcher) or Haselwood (Tall Tee type) at WR. I like giving Burrow big red-zone targets!

And I like Battle, but not so sure we need to draft one that high unless the FO isn't ready to move forward with Tycen.

Iosivas has much to prove when it comes to competition level and jumping to the NFL. The beauty of Joey B. is his uncanny accuracy. Tucker brings the extra benefit of being an explosive returner for Cincinnati which is something they have been missing for sometime now.

I will take McGuire over Incoom any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Incoom is a one trick pony.
Reply/Quote