Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Draft Free Agency
We know Free agency dies down about 2 weeks before the draft with teams still meeting players but very few getting signed.

So with that said now that the draft is over.

Whos still out there and what do we still need.     Some vets should become available and while they might not be a long term solution they could provide a stop gap for a year or 2.

With Bates III in the draft I'm guessing Reid is no longer on our radar ( if he still was after we met with him)

Also Linebacker/ CB / RB / OC / DT / QB look to be set.

discuss...
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 11:40 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: We know Free agency dies down about 2 weeks before the draft with teams still meeting players but very few getting signed.

So with that said now that the draft is over.

Whos still out there and what do we still need.     Some vets should become available and while they might not be a long term solution they could provide a stop gap for a year or 2.

With Bates III in the draft I'm guessing Reid is no longer on our radar ( if he still was after we met with him)

Also Linebacker/ CB / RB / OC / DT / QB look to be set.

discuss...

Since the Bengals decided to neglect OL after Price besides a very late Rod Taylor pick, I'd like to see 1-2 OL brought in just for more competition.

Greg Robinson - Dude was a former #2 overall pick and still unsigned. I don't think he's LT material but I still have hope he can harness his power as a road grading RT. Redemption project!

Byron Bell - Versatile guy that ended up going to DAL last year. Has versatility to play both OG spots and RT, albeit not studly. Has familiarity with Pollack, although that might be why he isn't here already...because Pollack doesn't want him.

Brian Schwenke - IOL that I liked as a mid-round C in the draft a few years back. I think he could compete with TJ Johnson to back up Price.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I like Bell and the Pollack connection, but they have to wait until he wouldn't count against comp picks as a true UFA.

Austin Howard would be a smart signing. He's getting older and wasn't as consistent, but PFF still gave him an average overall rating (36th ranked tackle) so he'd give stability for one year in what could be a showcase season. Right now it's Fisher and a battle royal of underachieving tackles, I feel like Robinson (though a Bengals type move) would only clog that up with the limited reps they do have.

Howard may be waiting for someone's tackle to get hurt and walk into a gig with leverage and not messing with training camp. The thing is, he'd be a freebie signing after being cut, and give you one year of stability at RT. Have him compete with Fisher for the starting gig and if one of the other guys have a miracle showing then so be it.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/austin-howard/5847
Reply/Quote
Think Derek Anderson should be at the top of the list. We need a backup that can actually win us a game if need be. We have 0% chance with Matt Barkley. Anderson has won some games and proven himself in this league.
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 02:59 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Think Derek Anderson should be at the top of the list.   We need a backup that can actually win us a game if need be.   We have 0% chance with Matt Barkley.   Anderson has won some games and proven himself in this league.

derek Anderson is still in the league?

has he played a game since his time with the browns?
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2018, 12:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: derek Anderson is still in the league?

has he played a game since his time with the browns?

Well, he's turning 35 and threw 8 passes last year for the Panthers.

He's thrown 169 passes from 2011-2017 with 7 TDs and 5 INTs.

I would say that he's probably past his usefulness as an NFL QB.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2018, 11:30 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: Well, he's turning 35 and threw 8 passes last year for the Panthers.

He's thrown 169 passes from 2011-2017 with 7 TDs and 5 INTs.

I would say that he's probably past his usefulness as an NFL QB.

Remember when he led the Browns to 10-6 in 2007 and they still didn't make the playoffs?
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5247676]
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
So we still looking for Big nasty OL guys?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/21/bills-release-richie-incognito/

hes no longer retiring

+Bonus played with Glenn already
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2018, 06:18 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: So we still looking for Big nasty OL guys?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/21/bills-release-richie-incognito/

hes no longer retiring

+Bonus played with Glenn already

I hate to be the guy to mention his age, but he's 35.  He retired and then unretired, is his heart really still in it, or is he looking for a paycheck?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2018, 01:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Since the Bengals decided to neglect OL after Price besides a very late Rod Taylor pick, I'd like to see 1-2 OL brought in just for more competition.

Greg Robinson - Dude was a former #2 overall pick and still unsigned. I don't think he's LT material but I still have hope he can harness his power as a road grading RT. Redemption project!

Byron Bell - Versatile guy that ended up going to DAL last year. Has versatility to play both OG spots and RT, albeit not studly. Has familiarity with Pollack, although that might be why he isn't here already...because Pollack doesn't want him.

Brian Schwenke - IOL that I liked as a mid-round C in the draft a few years back. I think he could compete with TJ Johnson to back up Price.

Would like any of these guys for sure. Just need another RT for competition, these guys have talent in case
Fisher, Hart or Perkins don't pan out. I like Lundblade our UDFA Center but Schwenke has experience in the
NFL, we could get better at backup Center.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 11:19 AM)phil413 Wrote: I like Bell and the Pollack connection, but they have to wait until he wouldn't count against comp picks as a true UFA.

Austin Howard would be a smart signing.  He's getting older and wasn't as consistent, but PFF still gave him an average overall rating (36th ranked tackle) so he'd give stability for one year in what could be a showcase season.  Right now it's Fisher and a battle royal of underachieving tackles, I feel like Robinson (though a Bengals type move) would only clog that up with the limited reps they do have.  

Howard may be waiting for someone's tackle to get hurt and walk into a gig with leverage and not messing with training camp.  The thing is, he'd be a freebie signing after being cut, and give you one year of stability at RT.  Have him compete with Fisher for the starting gig and if one of the other guys have a miracle showing then so be it.  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/players/austin-howard/5847

Would be happy with Howard as well, nice post Phil. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:Would be happy with Howard as well, nice post Phil. ThumbsUp

Sadly it looks like colts signed him to a deal the Bengals were not going to shell out anyway: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/austin-howard-7099/

I'd be cool with Byron Bell still though.  
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 08:18 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I hate to be the guy to mention his age, but he's 35.  He retired and then unretired, is his heart really still in it, or is he looking for a paycheck?

his retirement was due to so health issues he had.. Which have been cleared I believe so he decided he could continue playing.

He has been pretty good since the NFL forced him to miss a year.  I know hes 35...     We had that convo about Whitworth not long ago.

But it would definitely be a Stop-gap 1 year move not a long term solution.   (if they feel the RGs need more time to develop)
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 04:21 PM)phil413 Wrote: Sadly it looks like colts signed him to a deal the Bengals were not going to shell out anyway: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/austin-howard-7099/

I'd be cool with Byron Bell still though.  

Too bad, but yeah, would be happy with a Bell signing for sure.
Reply/Quote
Mychal Kendrick and Iginoto would be two players that would make our team better. Cut Rey and Laffell to make room.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 04:50 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Mychal Kendrick and Iginoto would be two players that would make our team better. Cut Rey and Laffell to make room.

Would definitely improve the team...

Who starts Mike    Brown or Kendrick?
Reply/Quote
(05-22-2018, 05:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Would definitely improve the team...

Who starts Mike    Brown or Kendrick?

Kendrck WLB, Brown at MLB ,Vontaz at Sam
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Jakeypoo Wrote:Mychal Kendrick and Iginoto would be two players that would make our team better. Cut Rey and Laffell to make room.

I'm split on Incognito.  Beyond his history and age, he recently claimed his organs were failing him but wants to play again, just confusing.  On the other hand, PFF had him at around 80 last year and he's dirty but highly effective even in his old age.  IF they're truly trying to make a run this year, it is tempting to have his chemistry with Glenn on the left side and Boling's versatility to play on the right side if need be even (or Richie at RG).  As for Kendrick, I think another team pony's up for him but I'd welcome him.  
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2018, 11:19 AM)phil413 Wrote: I like Bell and the Pollack connection, but they have to wait until he wouldn't count against comp picks as a true UFA.

I know you posted this just before the deadline where comp picks would be affected by FA signings, but that date has now passed (May 8).
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/05/deadline-passes-for-free-agents-to-count-against-compensatory-pick-formula

So at this point, the only thing(s) holding back the Bengals from signing another FA is interest and/or money.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
ochocincos Wrote:I know you posted this just before the deadline where comp picks would be affected by FA signings, but that date has now passed (May 8).
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/05/deadline-passes-for-free-agents-to-count-against-compensatory-pick-formula

So at this point, the only thing(s) holding back the Bengals from signing another FA is interest and/or money.

Yeah I saw that, but thanks for posting it to get the word out....we're cheap lol. 
Reply/Quote