Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Draft Free Agency
(05-23-2018, 10:34 AM)phil413 Wrote: I'm split on Incognito.  Beyond his history and age, he recently claimed his organs were failing him but wants to play again, just confusing.  On the other hand, PFF had him at around 80 last year and he's dirty but highly effective even in his old age.  IF they're truly trying to make a run this year, it is tempting to have his chemistry with Glenn on the left side and Boling's versatility to play on the right side if need be even (or Richie at RG).  As for Kendrick, I think another team pony's up for him but I'd welcome him.  

well apparently even we are interested it might be a little bit for Incognito before he can visit...  As apparently is being held for a mental health check somewhere in florida lol
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2018, 02:59 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Think Derek Anderson should be at the top of the list.   We need a backup that can actually win us a game if need be.   We have 0% chance with Matt Barkley.   Anderson has won some games and proven himself in this league.

I think Matt Barkley has gotten an incredibly unfair rap.

He was the absolute first overall pick in the draft after his junior year, but decided to go back to USC.  So many times great college players come out early and get the huge contract, but it is evident that they could have been a better QB with another college year under their belt.

Barkley's senior season wasn't a disaster, but injuries and loss of talent around him led to some losses and not the stellar stats of his junior year. He still completed 64% of his passes, with 36 TDs to 15 INTs, and 3,200+ yards.  

He gets drafted in the 4th round, gets no real shot until Cutler gets injured in 2016 and he takes over a haples Bears team.  He has three 300 yard passing games in his first 5 starts, something Cutler was not able to do with that horrific offense. 

He is a lot like Dalton, in terms of size and a perceived inability to really sling the ball.  I think when people watch Foles last year, they realize that accuracy and decision making are a lot more important than being able to throw the ball 65 yards on your knees (that was a shot at Kyle Boller).  He is also a very dedicated, good-guy type that will work his ass off to help the team and be ready if needed.

I am not the president of his fan club or anything, but I think to hang a 0% chance on him isn't fair.  This will be, by far, the most talented team he has ever had a chance to join.  I will be willing to bet he lights it up in preseason and everyone feels more comfortable about him after that.

I loved the signing and, although I hope and pray Dalton stays healthy, I feel good about his backup. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2018, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Matt Barkley has gotten an incredibly unfair rap.

He was the absolute first overall pick in the draft after his junior year, but decided to go back to USC.  So many times great college players come out early and get the huge contract, but it is evident that they could have been a better QB with another college year under their belt.

Barkley's senior season wasn't a disaster, but injuries and loss of talent around him led to some losses and not the stellar stats of his junior year. He still completed 64% of his passes, with 36 TDs to 15 INTs, and 3,200+ yards.  

He gets drafted in the 4th round, gets no real shot until Cutler gets injured in 2016 and he takes over a haples Bears team.  He has three 300 yard passing games in his first 5 starts, something Cutler was not able to do with that horrific offense. 

He is a lot like Dalton, in terms of size and a perceived inability to really sling the ball.  I think when people watch Foles last year, they realize that accuracy and decision making are a lot more important than being able to throw the ball 65 yards on your knees (that was a shot at Kyle Boller).  He is also a very dedicated, good-guy type that will work his ass off to help the team and be ready if needed.

I am not the president of his fan club or anything, but I think to hang a 0% chance on him isn't fair.  This will be, by far, the most talented team he has ever had a chance to join.  I will be willing to bet he lights it up in preseason and everyone feels more comfortable about him after that.

I loved the signing and, although I hope and pray Dalton stays healthy, I feel good about his backup. 

I'd trust Matt Barkley over Jeff Driskel, that's for sure. I'd say Barkley would be the second-best backup QB in the Dalton era.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2018, 08:57 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think Matt Barkley has gotten an incredibly unfair rap.

I didn't know all of this SHRacer, reps man. You ought to start a Barkley thread with all of this info honestly.

Might be a lot better then most of us thought. Still like what i saw from Driskel but you cannot deny that Barkley
has had a lot going against him since he got in the NFL and hasn't had this much talent around him either.

Opened my eyes a bit here brother. Rock On
Reply/Quote
(05-31-2018, 05:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I didn't know all of this SHRacer, reps man. You ought to start a Barkley thread with all of this info honestly.

Might be a lot better then most of us thought. Still like what i saw from Driskel but you cannot deny that Barkley
has had a lot going against him since he got in the NFL and hasn't had this much talent around him either.

Opened my eyes a bit here brother. Rock On

Probably what's most important about Barkley is that Lazor and Van Pelt feel like he's physically capable and that they feel like they can communicate well with him.

I don't see the chances of Barkley seeing any extended action as being very high.  Aside from the freak thumb break, Andy has been pretty durable in his career.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 12:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Probably what's most important about Barkley is that Lazor and Van Pelt feel like he's physically capable and that they feel like they can communicate well with him.

I don't see the chances of Barkley seeing any extended action as being very high.  Aside from the freak thumb break, Andy has been pretty durable in his career.

I agree, just nice to hear some good things about Barkley. Honestly haven't followed him much at all in the NFL and
didn't know what was going on when we signed him and everybody was acting like he was such a clown. Remember
him being really good at USC, the last i saw anything from him.

Atleast we have some good competition at backup QB between Driskel, Barkley and Woodside. Thought Driskel was
impressive last Preseason, way more-so than AJM. Listened to Woodside speak and he sounds like a real smart dude
and a character.

Need to watch some Logan Woodside highlights, i do.
Reply/Quote
(05-23-2018, 04:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well apparently even we are interested it might be a little bit for Incognito before he can visit...  As apparently is being held for a mental health check somewhere in florida lol

Sounds like a win-win an OL with mental health issues will have no issue running through walls to take out opposing defenders...LOL
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 12:51 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Probably what's most important about Barkley is that Lazor and Van Pelt feel like he's physically capable and that they feel like they can communicate well with him.

I also doubt Dalton tries to trip up a DL again, at least not the way he did it before. Not worth the risk of injury.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Somewhere Umkubus is thrilled that the Bengals have signed Barkley.
Reply/Quote
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/19/browns-waive-former-fifth-round-pick-roderick-johnson/

Competition for swing/backup tackle?

had some decent college rewards only played 2 games for Cleveland before getting hurt last year..

Not sure if healthy but if so would you want more competition for RT/ backup or swing tackle?
Reply/Quote
Remember how for years we were told by some that we would not have a good back-up QB if we traded AJM ?

Barkley seems more legit than AJM to me, or at least his equal.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2018, 01:15 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree, just nice to hear some good things about Barkley. Honestly haven't followed him much at all in the NFL and
didn't know what was going on when we signed him and everybody was acting like he was such a clown. Remember
him being really good at USC, the last i saw anything from him.

Atleast we have some good competition at backup QB between Driskel, Barkley and Woodside. Thought Driskel was
impressive last Preseason, way more-so than AJM. Listened to Woodside speak and he sounds like a real smart dude
and a character.

Need to watch some Logan Woodside highlights, i do.

Like all 3 personally and may the best man win. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote