Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Draft Musings
Lets start with the the biggest glaring spot the Offensive Line. Like everyone I'm hoping Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Smith step in and have a good year, but I'm also hoping they get help from Zampese by getting back to more of a Jay Gruden West Coast offense which will help out a weaker line. As for depth I see the Bengals waiting for Training Camp to fill out some roles on the offensive line.

Besides the offensive line the rest of the offense is stacked. Even though Im not a fan of the John Ross pick (explanation later) he is a good fit for the Bengals. Ross not only brings speed to the offense but also versatility being able to line up inside and outside allows AJ Green and Brandon Lafell to do the same (2013 AJ Green tore it up in the slot). Josh Malone brings speed with size in a couple of years he could be the starting WR next to AJ Green when Lafell's contract ends. Joe Mixon is going to be good... Hill can talk all he wants but Mixon's vision will win out by mid season.

Now the defense...Everyone mentions needing a pass rusher but the run defense was worse. The Bengals ranked bottom of the league in run defense for good reason their linebackers put their selves in good position to make a play but never do. They did replace Malauga but with the exact same guy in Kevin Minter. Minter has missed an outrageous amount of tackles in his short career and never was a cover guy. ( I understand PFF ranked him high in coverage in 2016 so I don't need a link but if you dig further you'll find that the Cards did an excellent job game planning around this weakness of Minters.). No one knows what they have in Vigil who made some plays last year but also made as many mistakes. I wanted Reddick at #9 due to the fact Im sick of watching TEs walk over the Bengals LB core(Blocking and Receiving...). The secondary is stacked Id say they might need some safety depth but with Shaw moonlighting its not a big deal.

As for the pass rush it will come when given opportunity. In 2015 for the first 8 or 10 games Dunlap was leading the league in sacks and QB hurries. I think even Peko had 5 or 6 sacks by the end of the season lolol. Why? Because the Bengals were leading most games and when Burfict came back they started clamping down on the run game forcing 3rd in long (Reggie was a big part of that run defense)...both leading games and run defense they didnt have in 2016 which led to alot less pin your ears back pass rushing opportunities. I'm not saying they couldn't improve in this area always can I just wanted to point out how bad the run defense was last season.

In Conclussion my biggest worry next year is the growth of Ken Zampese. I felt Zampese's play designs and calling left alot to be desired in his rookie year.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Besides the Tackles, my biggest concern is Zampese. He looked lost at times last year calling plays.
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
Minter is an upgrade to Maualuga. He's faster. He's better in coverage than Maualuga. Not great...but above average. That's an upgrade to Maualuga who was bad.
Reply/Quote
We have the players on D. The scheme is what I don't understand at times. On obvious passing downs, you watch our LBers back peddle 15 yds down field into coverage and the offense just throws it underneath for a 1st down.... Last year we had Dansby, slower than crap, trying to cover these routes. Marvin needs to just let Guenther run this defense IMO.
Offensely, we have speed now, hopefully that will slow down blitzes. Zampese was bad at times but hopefully with a full season under his belt he is way better this year.

I am actually stoked for this upcoming season, it can't come soon enough!!!
Reply/Quote
Billings. If he doesn't pan out or gets injured we are screwed.
Reply/Quote
The name of the game this year is quick throws out of the shotgun and gaining YAC because the blocking won't keep Dalton upright for 5+ seconds on a consistent basis.
Occasionally the blocking may hold up to allow a deep throw to Green or Ross, but the nice thing about both Green and Ross is they are also effective short and intermediate range too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I read the first sentence and quit reading. The O line guys never let it go.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 12:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The name of the game this year is quick throws out of the shotgun and gaining YAC because the blocking won't keep Dalton upright for 5+ seconds on a consistent basis.
Occasionally the blocking may hold up to allow a deep throw to Green or Ross, but the nice thing about both Green and Ross is they are also effective short and intermediate range too.

One of the advantages of a guy with Ross's speed is he gets down field in a hurry, so Dalton doesn't have to hold on to the ball as long.  With Ross, AJ, and LaFell/Boyd on the field at the same time, it will be a lot harder for teams to blitz.  If you leave a RB or TE in to block, that's a 4 man rush vs 6 blockers, and you would hope you can win with numbers.

Also, if Mixon is as advertised, you can establish the run and then use play action to set up the deep ball.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2017, 01:41 AM)Synric Wrote: 1. Lets start with the the biggest glaring spot the Offensive Line. Like everyone I'm hoping Ogbuehi, Fisher, and Smith step in and have a good year, but I'm also hoping they get help from Zampese by getting back to more of a Jay Gruden West Coast offense which will help out a weaker line. As for depth I see the Bengals waiting for Training Camp to fill out some roles on the offensive line.

2. Besides the offensive line the rest of the offense is stacked. Even though Im not a fan of the John Ross pick (explanation later) he is a good fit for the Bengals. Ross not only brings speed to the offense but also versatility being able to line up inside and outside allows AJ Green and Brandon Lafell to do the same (2013 AJ Green tore it up in the slot). Josh Malone brings speed with size in a couple of years he could be the starting WR next to AJ Green when Lafell's contract ends. Joe Mixon is going to be good... Hill can talk all he wants but Mixon's vision will win out by mid season.

3. Now the defense...Everyone mentions needing a pass rusher but the run defense was worse. The Bengals ranked bottom of the league in run defense for good reason their linebackers put their selves in good position to make a play but never do. They did replace Malauga but with the exact same guy in Kevin Minter. Minter has missed an outrageous amount of tackles in his short career and never was a cover guy. ( I understand PFF ranked him high in coverage in 2016 so I don't need a link but if you dig further you'll find that the Cards did an excellent job game planning around this weakness of Minters.). No one knows what they have in Vigil who made some plays last year but also made as many mistakes. I wanted Reddick at #9 due to the fact Im sick of watching TEs walk over the Bengals LB core(Blocking and Receiving...). The secondary is stacked Id say they might need some safety depth but with Shaw moonlighting its not a big deal.

4. As for the pass rush it will come when given opportunity. In 2015 for the first 8 or 10 games Dunlap was leading the league in sacks and QB hurries. I think even Peko had 5 or 6 sacks by the end of the season lolol. Why? Because the Bengals were leading most games and when Burfict came back they started clamping down on the run game forcing 3rd in long (Reggie was a big part of that run defense)...both leading games and run defense they didnt have in 2016 which led to alot less pin your ears back pass rushing opportunities. I'm not saying they couldn't improve in this area always can I just wanted to point out how bad the run defense was last season.

In Conclussion my biggest worry next year is the growth of Ken Zampese. I felt Zampese's play designs and calling left alot to be desired in his rookie year.

1. Agreed. Zampese can do some things to help mask the line. Maybe give our young tackles some confidence.

2. Agreed. Love the weapons on paper and can't wait to see them in action.

3. The defense ranked 21st in rush yards allowed and 23rd in YPC allowed. Not good at all, but not bottom of the league. Personally, I think Minter is younger/faster/better than Maualuga. 

4. Good point. Opponents did attempt 53 fewer passes against us in 2016. I do think Michael Johnson had a weak season, and some of our rotation guys left a lot to be desired.

Well I wasn't overly impressed with Zampese's creativity, but I give him somewhat of a pass for being without AJ Green, Eifert and Gio for so long. Plus the o-line was train wreck. Hopefully he can adjust to cover it up some this year.

(05-05-2017, 12:28 PM)Okeana Wrote: I read the first sentence and quit reading.  The O line guys never let it go.

Are we supposed to pretend they are good? That last year didn't happen and we didn't lose the 2 best players from that line?

This board is for discussing the team, that includes the not-so-pleasant realities. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Ok I'm going to keep this post condensed by doing an @name instead of quoting everyone. Less scrolling on my phone lol.

@mer
I completely agree he didnt look great in his rookie year as a coordinator, but I am hoping he put in alot of time building a new playbook this offseason.

@The Pistons
I believe Minter and Maualuga are very very similar type player. Both believe it or not have decent instincts Maualuga was in position to make plays but missed tons of tackles Minter is the same way. As for coverage both have to keep the play in front of them the minute they have to flip there hips to cover its over. To me its telling that the Cards let him go then took Reddick at 13.

@sandwedge
Run Defense Run Defense Run Defense that was alot of the problem last season. After that yea they teams took advantage dumping it off over the middle to a RB, TE or Slot guy and they just made the Linebackers look bad. Im not complaining that they havent upgraded the LB core in the past they have tried but since they been in the playoffs drafting in the back end of the draft hasnt given them a chance at a Shazier or Ogletree. BUT... This was the year both Reddick and Foster were there. The niners actually had Foster ranked right behind Thomas and were going to take him at 3 if Solomon was gone.

@CageTheBengal
I think they keep 10 defensive linemen so itll be something like Johnson Geno Billings Dunlap Clark Glasglow Willis Sims Hardison Thompson. If Billings goes down they still have Glasglow Sims Thompson to step in and Hardison as the swing guy. That said I really liked Billings the year he came out I know everyone did but I thought he had the most violent hands out of every DT taken that year...Still Do.

@ochocincos
With the added speed Id like to see some more west coast offense bubble screens bunch receivers etc stuff from 2013. Andy Dalton has one of if not the fastest releases in the league...Please Zampese use that...

@Okeana
Thanks for your contribution but I really dont give the Oline a hard time in my post. I only mention I hope everyone steps in and plays well. Mostly what you take from it is id like to see more west coast offense themes this year to make make life a little easier for them and maybe help build their confidence going forward.

Ok also like to throw out a thought I left out of my OP because I didnt believe it would be received well and for damn good reason lol. John Ross is a smaller stature guy entering the NFL while Im not worried about his past injuries because he checked out at the NFL Combine. What I worry about is he going to hold up to the regular beating he will take as an NFL player.....Now my suggestion is having him be workout buddies with Adam Jones. Yes I know about all the off field issues but Jones is one of those smaller stature guys that has held up well in the NFL. Not to mention the guy lives in the weight room during this time of the year its when he has time off the problems happen lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote