Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Draft OL Status/Opinions
Let's be real here folks!
On the Burrow injury, They had 2 linemen (Jordan, a backup at that point but playing b/c of injury, and Adeniji, a Rookie filling in for injured Hart) who were the ones responsible letting their guys get past them for that sandwich on Burrow.
Both shouldn't have been in the game, but were b/c of injuries to the starters. That happens in the NFL, just look no further than the Super Bowl.

1. They brought in an awesome OL coach in Pollock, whom everyone knows and loves as a very good developmental OL coach.
2. The Bengals have since brought in Reiff, a 10 year experienced, very solid RT to replace Hart.
3. Jonah has a year of starting under his belt now (he could've come back to play the last few games but why push it at that point)?, and I feel will be a very solid, consistent LT moving forward.
4. They still have a solid Center who should be ready for snap 1 in Hopkins, with Price backing him up who actually did well under Pollock when he was here the last time.
5. Their competition at Guard spots increased a bunch with Jackson Carman having the inside track for LG and Xavier, Spain, Johnson, Trey Hill, Dionte Smith and Jordan fighting it out as starter at RG.

And, they will bring in some FA OL after the draft now, and still could sign an OL Vet for a better price. (I am betting this still happens)

Yes, they could've done better in many of your eyes on this board; but, I think they're pretty solid coming into the season if they don't do anything else at this point.

You all also have to remember that bringing in Chase alone helps with getting the ball out of Burrow's hands quicker, along with Uzomah coming back with familiarity there (And maybe even Moss if he's healthy now).

Mixon and now Evans also help with an improved zone running game that Pollock and Taylor have installed.

I'm pretty excited about the remake of the OL at this stage as well as the overall Offense in general!!

What do you all think?
Reply/Quote
Great points, but a few things:

1. If Trey Hill is healthy too, look for him to at least be depth at C and they say Hopkins will be ready, but we'll see; we haven't seen all the updates with him like we did with Burrow, so we're just musing on words (not saying he won't be, but we don't know).
2. Carman would be RG, not LG; Spain and X-man are LGs.
3. It's POLL*****A*****CK
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 09:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Great points, but a few things:

1. If Trey Hill is healthy too, look for him to at least be depth at C and they say Hopkins will be ready, but we'll see; we haven't seen all the updates with him like we did with Burrow, so we're just musing on words (not saying he won't be, but we don't know).

So Carman played LT more than anything. He played LT at Fairfield as well. I would think the transition would be easier for him at LG as they've stated he played LG at Clemson practices but never in a game. I'd think your 2nd rounder should be able to beat out Spain and X at this point, especially one who protected Lawrence's blind side an awful lot? 
But, either way, one of the Guard spots should be taken now and solid with him. 
I agree with the Trey Hill C depth thing, forgot about that. 
Reply/Quote
You forgot about us getting D'Ante Smith who is a great OT to learn behind both Reiff and Jonah.
Reply/Quote
What are the chances of Trey Hill possibly winning the C job.
Then Hopkins gets moved to LG. Carmen winning the starting at RG? It's quite a stretch I know.
No position on.the oline should be set in stone other than
The OTs. Im just glad there is no.matter handing out
Starting jobs to unproven stiffs like Michael Jordan.
That alone and he alone put JB on the IR list.
Iron sharpens iron. Competition will.make this oline
That much better.
Such a great feeling.that bums like Redmond
Hart and Jordan will not be in.front of JB this year
Reply/Quote
Frank Pollack + Draft + Free Agency = Improvement

Overall I’m happy with the new offensive line personnel in Cincinnati. Would I have preferred the addition of Penei Sewell in the first round? Of course — but that’s water under the bridge.

What I believe is Frank along with Zac Taylor prioritized versatility in these new offensive linemen; most tackles can play guard as well and the new center can also play guard. This creates depth at most positions on the line and also allows for jumbo packages when needed.

While protecting Joe Burrow is very important we can’t forget about the other Joe, Joe Mixon. He has underachieved because of atrocious run blocking and this needs to change. In the AFC North the run game will always be critical especially in late season games when the weather gets bad. Frank Pollack teaches a better run blocking technique than Jim Turner so I look forward to a more balanced offense where Joe Burrow doesn’t have to throw it fifty times per game.
Reply/Quote
Thumbs Up 
(05-01-2021, 10:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You forgot about us getting D'Ante Smith who is a great OT to learn behind both Reiff and Jonah.

I listed him, I just had him moving inside to guard and competing there his rookie year if he wants to see the field. Of course he'll get practice snaps at both Tackle spots all year as well. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 10:30 PM)impactplaya Wrote: What are the chances of Trey Hill possibly winning the C job.
Then Hopkins gets moved to LG. Carmen winning the starting at RG? It's quite a stretch I know.
No position on.the oline should be set  in stone other than
The OTs. Im just glad there is no.matter handing out
Starting jobs to unproven stiffs like Michael Jordan.
That alone and he alone put JB on the IR list.
Iron sharpens iron. Competition will.make this oline
That much better.
Such a great feeling.that bums like Redmond
Hart and Jordan will not be in.front of JB this year

You guys keep saying RG? The last 2 years, he's played LT. I'd assume it's an easier adjustment for him to just move 1 spot over to LG. Of course, it's going to be an adjustment for him either Guard spot, as everything is much quicker coming at him in either spot. 

I think it will be great competition at Center among Hopkins, Hill and Price. We all know Price is gone after this year. So, we'll see how the competition plays out there. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 10:47 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: I listed him, I just had him moving inside to guard and competing there his rookie year if he wants to see the field. Of course he'll get practice snaps at both Tackle spots all year as well. 

Cool, didn't see it the first time Jersey. D'Ante is more of an OT though that is great insurance if one of our main dudes go down.

See Carman and Hill getting more snaps as rookies but D'Ante being a good OT in the future learning behind the guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 10:50 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: You guys keep saying RG? The last 2 years, he's played LT. I'd assume it's an easier adjustment for him to just move 1 spot over to LG. Of course, it's going to be an adjustment for him either Guard spot, as everything is much quicker coming at him in either spot. 

I think it will be great competition at Center among Hopkins, Hill and Price. We all know Price is gone after this year. So, we'll see how the competition plays out there. 

It is a good point, assuming Carman can adjust as Spain and XSF are better LG's for the most part.

I think Pollack knows what he is doing as you say.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 10:50 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: You guys keep saying RG? The last 2 years, he's played LT. I'd assume it's an easier adjustment for him to just move 1 spot over to LG. Of course, it's going to be an adjustment for him either Guard spot, as everything is much quicker coming at him in either spot. 

Also, at RG he'll have he advantage of having RR on his right side pointing out assignments and teaching him the ropes.  The best OLines communicate.  One of the biggest things we missed when Whit left was that he was the QB of the OLine, and we haven't had it since.  Hopefully one of these young guys steps up after learning from the veterans and becomes the leader of the OLINE.  Leadership has been sorely lacking.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 10:59 PM)Stewy Wrote: Also, at RG he'll have he advantage of having RR on his right side pointing out assignments and teaching him the ropes.  The best OLines communicate.  One of the biggest things we missed when Whit left was that he was the QB of the OLine, and we haven't had it since.  Hopefully one of these young guys steps up after learning from the veterans and becomes the leader of the OLINE.  Leadership has been sorely lacking.

I think Spain can be a leader. 

I don't find it a coincidence that once we picked the vet up the OL looked better with a terrible OL coach in Turner.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 11:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think Spain can be a leader. 

I don't find it a coincidence that once we picked the vet up the OL looked better with a terrible OL coach in Turner.

WHoever it is is fine with me as long as someone does it.  I remember the days (maybe they don't do this any more) not long ago of the OLine (usually the center) pointing at the defense pointing out potential rushers, pointing out assignments on the fly and PICKING THEM UP.  I watched the WFBT game and our guys stood there pre-snap like zombies, missing assignments and playing matador with the rushers.  OLE!  

Hopefully Pollack and leadership fixes some of that.
Reply/Quote
After the draft and with the addition of Reiff the OL is in much better shape.

Last season we started with Williams - MJ - Hopkins - XSF - Hart. XSF got hurt and we were pretty quickly running out Redmond and MJ; two horrible Guards. This was directly because the quality of our depth was FAR below our starters.

This season the projected starters are Williams - XSF - Hopkins - Spain - Reiff. Spain and Reiff are HUGE upgrades over what we had there and XSF is playing in his natural position. Also we had this Spain/XSF combo the last 4 games of 2020 and they performed very well. And how with the draft the depth is HUGELY improved. Adeniji, Price, Johnson and MJ (he better be cut) will now have to compete with Carman, Smith and Hill. So 7 players competing for 4-5 spots. This of course is pre UFDA.

They have needed to reload OL for years, and finally did it.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 10:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You forgot about us getting D'Ante Smith who is a great OT to learn behind both Reiff and Jonah.

Smith probably has more upside than Carmen, honestly. I'll agree that we may have gotten an Akeem Adenji that lives up to his hype as a potential gem.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2021, 09:56 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Great points, but a few things:

[Image: f1ef4756-13c6-4ac8-b6cc-fcd10700f8e7.png]

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
Still too many question marks.

I guess fresh blood is better than the old blood, and a better coach will help quite a bit, but I'm still not 100% sold that the line won't be a repeat of last season.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals OL has been so bad so long I am not sure how anyone can be optimistic about it. They have to improve quite a bit to even be average and they really didn't add any premier players. Reiff is solid but I think he is doing a position change so even that is a question mark. I think the Bengals and Texans still have the worst lines in the league. I hope they prove me wrong.
Reply/Quote
To the OP, ZT said Carman would compete for the starting RG spot. Presumably with Spain/XSF (whichever is not starting at LG).

Personally, not thrilled with any of the draft guys. I think Carman COULD start, but probably not right away. And while Spain/XSF level is certainly better than Jordan, it is not fearsome by any means. Smith & Hill coming off big injuries.

I do not expect the line to improve much. Some, yes. Pollack helps. Reiff helps some (Hart was not the main problem last year).

Hope I am wrong. Hope Pollack picked his guys well and can polish some of Turner's turds.
Reply/Quote
(05-02-2021, 01:01 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Still too many question marks.

I guess fresh blood is better than the old blood, and a better coach will help quite a bit, but I'm still not 100% sold that the line won't be a repeat of last season.

The biggest issue for the line is simple, health.

Jonah is yet to play a full season, if he fails again this year you have to consider it a trend and replace him.

XSF hasn't played a full season in 3 straight years, that is a concern.

Hopkins is coming back from an ACL, let's see what he looks like.

Carman who I loved at Clemson is not a tackle but should be a good guard. If his back isn't an issue he'll be fine.

Smith in the fourth round missed his last season, and part of his freshman season and got hurt and didn't play in the senior bowl.

If all plays out perfectly, they have improved the line but the above lists is certainly unsettling.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote