Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Draft OL Status/Opinions
(05-02-2021, 11:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Rep.  Not counting on a healthy Su'a-Filo being a big upgrade but if Carman is a bust, Hopkins is not ready to play, and Williams goes down with injury again this O-line will be a complete dumpster fire.  Worst in the league.

The second big issue is coaching.  I am not sure if Pollack is that great of an O-line coach, but last year we gave up a lot more sacks based on missed assignments than guys just getting physically beaten.  They all struggled picking up blitzes and simple basic line stunts. 

If everyone is healthy and the coaching makes a difference we still won't have an elite line, but it will be miles ahead of hat we had last year.  We have very good talent at the skill positions.  They should be able to score points with an average to above average line.

You’re right in that first paragraph that if all of that happens we will be terrible on the o line again. That being said, if 3 or 4 projected starters on any o line in the league go down they’d be looking at a terrible OL as well.

You’re also right that we don’t need an elite line with these weapons and QB. We could have an excellent offense, run the ball more and keep Burrow upright with an average OL. It doesn’t have to be the best in the league. It just has to be ok this year. You don’t go from the worst OL in the league to elite in one offseason. We should be much better this year and can continue to build the o line in FA/draft next year. We addressed every aspect of the line this offseason from coaching to OT, G and C to depth.

Even with all of that I don’t expect the OL to be a strength this season. It doesn’t need to be that good overnight. It just needs to not be the glaring liability it was last year. Unless disaster strikes (which would doom about any team in the league) we should be good enough on OL to get the job done. Then with any luck next offseason they’ll continue to try to improve it. Maybe even with a first round pick or big time signing that some desperately desire.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
With Pollack and Reiff on board, I think our ceiling is serviceable. Even if healthy, I'm not sold on the interior. Carman should be an upgrade, although I'm not blown away by him or anything. Hopefully Spain can go back to being an average guy under Pollack. He was less than that last year, but I swear I think Turner just made everyone worse.

And of course, to beat a dead horse, a lot depends on health. Especially with Jonah. I agree with the poster who said we should cut ties if he can't stay healthy this year. It's time to sink or swim for him.

Even if we're serviceable, that will be a big improvement. That said, I want better than serviceable from the line. I want to see dominance, and I don't see why that's a bad thing. It seems like people want to flame others for wanting more.

Chase will make our receivers absolutely elite. I want that in our line. It won't happen this year, but maybe next year we'll start adding some studs. I want another Whitworth. I want to dominate in the run game, which is something we really haven't done since 2000.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2021, 10:46 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We don't save much money cutting Price. He is over $3 mil in dead cap.

So, yes, he makes the 53. Hill is a 6th rd pick coming off surgery on BOTH knees. He and Smith are not roster locks. 

For my money, we still need another NFL level guy at:

1) OT (only have Williams and Reiff). #3 Johnson.
2) C (only have Hopkins). #2 Price.
3) G (Spain & XSF). #3 Carman.

Carman might give us 3 at guard. We'll see. I am not counting on Smith, Hill, Jordan, Adeniji, Johnson, or Price to give us replacement level play. I think they are all below that level.

When I say NFL level guy, I mean a vet who has proven they can play some. Not a rookie/2nd year, unproven type.

EDIT: Oops! Price's dead cap is like $1.7 mil, we would save $2 mil by cutting him. I must have looked at last year's #.

Still, with Hill able to play G as well, I think Jordan, Adeniji, or Johnson are more likely to be cut.

I figure we keep 9/10 on the 53 plus some on the PS:
1) Jonah
2) Reiff
3) Hopkins
4) Carman
5) XSF
6) Spain
---------Top 6---Roster Locks-------
7) Price
8) F. Johnson
9) Hill
10) Smith
----Last 4 inside track------
11) Adeniji
12) Jordan
-----Still with a shot based on camp-------
13) Prince
----PS or nada

Adeniji isn't getting cut as a year 2 backup T at both sides. He can also play Guard. He's only in year two, and very cheap at that. I would say Johnson and/or Price would be my picks to get cut if they don't bring it during camp. If Trey Hill does as good or better than Price, he'll be a post camp casualty. I think with all the OL issues they've had, they keep 10 OL and a lot of DL based on injuries over the last few years. 
Reply/Quote