Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Post Draft Thoughts
I think the Jonah Williams pick looks a lot better in retrospect after that ridiculous run on OT's in the late 1st/early 2nd. There was a lot of thought that we could go D in the first and nab a T in the second, but it doesn't seem that there would have been one there. This was something I was personally concerned about heading in. I'm just glad we got our guy in 1.

It was interesting to see Jawaan Taylor drop due to injury. We had him in for a pre draft visit and I kind of wonder if they made use of their personal MRI machine at PBS. It seemed we had several guys with injury concerns in(Gary was another) and I wonder if they make use of that.

The change from Marvin was pretty noticeable. A lot of Marvin drafts contained a lot of workout warriors/looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane types. They also gambled a lot on low character guys that slid. In this draft, there weren't really any flashy picks, just a bunch of smart, physical, high character guys. It's definitely a 180 from the Marvin drafts.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 03:51 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: I agree. I think doubling up on RB was a good move and I like the idea of these 2 battling for a roster spot. It really increases the chance of hitting on one of them. 

I would like to see it play out like this.....they both play well in the preseason, but not so spectacular that other teams want them badly. Then Williams gets the 3rd RB spot and we stash Anderson on the PS. Other teams leave him there because they are scared of his injury history. He has a year to heal and get stronger with the strength and conditioning coaches, and he learns the offense. Then if we lose Gio next season, our 3 are Mixon, Anderson and Williams.
Reply/Quote
I am pleased but realistic about the draft.

Our three best weapons are Mixon, Green and Boyd.

Honestly think Mixon and running game are the most important weapon. It helps Andy and opens things up for Green and Boyd.

having  a physical TE who can sell the block and then be a weapon in play action also opens things up for Green and Boyd.

Plus Mixon can be a top 5 back if he has even an average NFL o line.

Having said these things, the new coach needs a couple of seasons to fix this team and make it a top contender.

The linebackers are still way below average, one third round rookie ( or even a first round rookie)  is not fixing that problem,  we cannot stop the run, and our pass rush is average not elite.

However, given we have Mixon and the positive impact on the entire team of having a serious running game,  trying to substantially improve the o line was the best move in the coach's first year.

It is going to take another year or a serious free agent signing or trade to substantially improve the linebacker issue.

By the way, if they are healthy after camp, they are not cutting either of the 2 rookie RBs. Both of those guys have very high ceilings and you need to carry four RBs if you are going to build your offense around the running game.
Reply/Quote
Solid team/identity building draft.

We came 1 pick away from a draft that would've blown me away. It's obvious that Risner was the original 2nd rd target.
Bengals prob thought Den would snatch Lock there. The instant trade down after Risner was off the board was obvious.

Happy with the draft but if they could've netted Risner in the 2nd I would have been smiling until training camp.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 02:51 PM)phil413 Wrote: Overall I'm very happy with the draft as a whole. I was doing a church camp event and thankfully missed the fireworks of the Sample draft pick. It seems like this pick is where all topics and reviews are ending up, right or wrong.

I was cool with trading down, and if he's worth that selection in their eyes so be it, I'm just surprised by how much they were sold. Nfl.com's rankings had 10 TEs at or above 5.50 on their scale from possible starter up. Issac Nauta, a descent blocker was #10 and .09 off on their scale from #7 Sample. Even if he was one of the best blockers, how far off were the other guys?

Also, if a blocking TE was that high of a priority, why didn't they look for one in FA in case their guy was gone? They gambled with QB if indeed they were blown away by Finley. I loved the trade and pick but that is some serious gambling.

So put in perspective, some of us wanted another defender like Mack Wilson or Willis instead and both plummeted in the draft. So, I'm happy with the draft as a whole, they recovered well but there's nothing wrong with discussing the Sample pick. He could very well be a great pick, but it's looking like we are going to have to get used to seeing his name on here. I just hope that if he doesn't play well we get into a told you so contest, let's hope we enjoy wins and a great PA game instead.

Listening to ZT’s post draft conference, he said the running game was going to be highly focused (or something like that). There may have been higher ranked TEs in the draft, but knowing what you need that fits your scheme and staying with it was a Belichick type move. Stay with the plan.

I think we are all going to see more out of ZT and crew than we imagined.

https://www.bengals.com/video/nfl-draft-news-conference-head-coach-zac-taylor-wraps-up-bengals-draft

Reply/Quote
What I was pleasantly surprised with about this draft is that it seems the coaches have diagnosed the team and have their personally 'taylored' solution. Whether their solution will work or not, we will have to see.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 06:58 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: What I was pleasantly surprised with about this draft is that it seems the coaches have diagnosed the team and have their personally 'taylored' solution. Whether their solution will work or not, we will have to see.

True. It was refreshing to see a game plan in the draft.

Reply/Quote
What I noticed about Taylor's first draft:

1-Focused on football junkies with high football IQ.
2-Players do not have troubled past.
3-Blocking and pounding the rock will be the scheme with play action and occasional long ball.
4-Most of these picks are guys that are leaders, captains, high character type.
5-They took risk on trades and targeted players they wanted.
6-They avoided Diva players.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
After watching all of it play out I am more pumped for the season to start than I have been for years.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 03:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I just wish that free agency went better in regards to upgrading LB. I still see that as a weakness and that's IF these guys are all healthy. IF a guy gets injured, it could be a disaster.

This.

Maybe we will go back to signing some past-his-prime free agent LB.  Seems like we used to do that every year.  Anyone like that on the market?
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 07:40 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: What I noticed about Taylor's first draft:

I know I will never be able to find the story now, but when we drafted Whitworth the coaches raved about the way he worked the white board and broke down blocking schemes in their combine interview.  So I was thrilled whent he announcers started talking about what a film junkie Williams was.

I have a feeling Whitworth will go into coaching when he retires.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 08:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

Maybe we will go back to signing some past-his-prime free agent LB.  Seems like we used to do that every year.  Anyone like that on the market?

Maybe Andre Smith can try LB? LOL

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 08:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

At OLB:
Jamie Collins fits the bill there Fred. Nick Perry also. Shane Ray. Connor Barwin. Emmanuel Lamur (Only 30 years old still)

ILB:
Bostic got released by the Steelers. Not past his prime, but he'd be cheap.

Someone said Zach Brown was still out there.

Manti Te'o. Zach Vigil.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 08:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know I will never be able to find the story now, but when we drafted Whitworth the coaches raved about the way he worked the white board and broke down blocking schemes in their combine interview.  So I was thrilled whent he announcers started talking about what a film junkie Williams was.

I have a feeling Whitworth will go into coaching when he retires.

I hear what sold them on Finley over all of the other QB in this draft was his ability to reiterate protection schemes back to the coaches.  I think the staff is really high on Finley.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 08:43 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I hear what sold them on Finley over all of the other QB in this draft was his ability to reiterate protection schemes back to the coaches.  I think the staff is really high on Finley.  

That side is good. Hopefully he has the physical skills to make the throws.

I didn't see a lot of tape on a lot of our draft picks this year which is a bit different than usual.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 07:30 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: True. It was refreshing to see a game plan in the draft.

I think the Sample pick becomes much easier to stomach for a lot of people who went crazy when the pick was made now that they see it in the context of the entire draft. He really fits into the overall game plan.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 07:40 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: What I noticed about Taylor's first draft:

2-Players do not have troubled past.
3-Blocking and pounding the rock will be the scheme with play action and occasional long ball.
4-Most of these picks are guys that are leaders, captains, high character type.  
5-They took risk on trades and targeted players they wanted.
6-They avoided Diva players.

This has been one of our traits that are lacking the last couple of years.   I'm looking to pounding the ball and for once control the clock/game to victory. One of the worst legacy's of coach Marvin was his horrible time/clock management, bless his heart.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 09:19 PM)Beaker Wrote:  I think the Sample pick becomes much easier to stomach for a lot of people who went crazy when the pick was made now that they see it in the context of the entire draft. He really fits into the overall game plan.

The TE position is one of the most cursed position for the Bengals. It just never works out. Hopefully not any more.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 10:26 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: This has been one of our traits that are lacking the last couple of years.   I'm looking to pounding the ball and for once control the clock/game to victory. One of the worst legacy's of coach Marvin was his horrible time/clock management, bless his heart.

so true.  Bengals should be able to control time of possession if things work as planned.  I think they will need another good draft to fix some holes in the O-Line, backers, and maybe RDE.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 09:19 PM)Beaker Wrote:  I think the Sample pick becomes much easier to stomach for a lot of people who went crazy when the pick was made now that they see it in the context of the entire draft. He really fits into the overall game plan.

It does help some I suppose.

The whole 4th Round projection thing from Kiper is what made it tough at the time. But, seeing how many guys slipped that were projected higher obviously shows the rankings are off.
Reply/Quote