Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post FA Frenzy Assessment
I apologize for this ridiculously long post about what is usually one of the most boring of subjects, the OL. You don’t have to read it all. You don’t even have to reply. I’m passionate about OL and I have very few outlets to share my knowledge (however right or wrong I am - forever learning).

I liked to get my impressions of the Bengals FO handling of OL so far this offseason and they stepped up considerably. None of our new 3 have made a Pro Bowl and it is likely but no where near a certainty, that future Pro Bowl(s) but that doesn’t matter that much to me because they are all very solid blockers in addition to Jonah. 4 starters strong!

Where does does #5 come from?

Option 1: FA Part 2 (this is where we were stuck for years-picking up scraps). Personally I think Spain won’t be back unless he agrees to a discount deal. That wouldn’t be a bad outcome for the OL. But the team has other needs too. So that is where a cheap veteran insurance policy comes up. Carman and Smith make this seem like a strong option because a “veteran” is needed. I started a thread in the draft forum about Oday Aboushi as one candidate but there are several others in the veteran minimum to as a high of $2 million.

Option 2: We stand pat. They go with the 6 players they added the last 2 years (one draft class one FA class. Prince and Adeniji are also young players. Seems the most dangerous to me but it wouldn’t surprise me. They could go with the 2 picked last year and the after the fail, then add a veteran scrap.

Option 3: Wait until FA Part 3. Use post-draft/ early camp releases to add a veteran to get the insurance player they want.

Option 4: The draft. I’ve seen many a mock draft simulation’s or other personal mocks. Sometime I see a ridiculous 3 or 4 draft picks coming from the OL. Not going to happen. If Tyler falls to 31. They likely dump Hill. OT falls to pick #2 or #3 they covet they likely dump Prince. Zion drops they dump Adeniji. Or they go with zero OL and go defense primarily.

I personally think all these options are in play.

Other comments: When contract #’s are reported the agents primarily push the total deal (for their own interests). Guaranteed money should be the primary number considered and drop the dream numbers. They don’t exist.

Example Pitt’s Okorafor got under $10 million guaranteed. He is a clear stopgap as Pitt knows he is not a legit starter at a OT. Yet look at his reported deal. Agents?!

P.S. the Cincy vs. Pitt thread is a clear win for us. At OT we win hands down. Huge Advantage JB. Cappa vs Daniels is a clear toss-up. JD is younger but AC is actually improving his game at at faster rate. At C this is another toss-up. Still I am happier with our FA. TK is a better pass blocker. Advantage JB.

The last thing I wish to talk about is SCHEME. In the early to mid 00’s. I attended a local coaching clinic in AZ where Pollack spoke. He spoke about wide zone/outside zone. He also spoke about the danger in trying to adopt multiple schemes. He said practice time is at an all-time low because of HS and NCAA rules and the NFLPA (more so today). He stated that he didn’t stray very far for the most part except for Gap/power because of 3nd/4th and short and goal line situations. That’s was about it or maybe a “trick” play for an individual opponent.

Years later (2018) I purchased one of the C.O.O.L. Clinic books mainly put together by longtime coaches Bob Wylie and our own Paul Alexander (as editors) from the clinic’s annual lectures. He stated the exact same sentiment the having a bread and butter is preferred.

Late in the 2021 season, I didn’t see wide-zone nearly as much. In fact I think I saw more inside-zone and some crucial gap/power runs in crucial situations. It worked until it didn’t. But the fact is Pollack has shown growth in his scheme versatility. I was late to the show because I was so convinced he would never do that. He did. That explains at least, in some part, why OL personnel were brought in didn’t seem a true scheme fit at all (Hill, Carman, Prince in particular. Now I know. Futures bright.
Feed The Cats Training

Reply/Quote
I think the power, tight, and inside zone meshes better with the spread shotgun we seen later in the season when Joey B started to get healthy. Karras and Cappa fit that moreso too so I can see them running alot more Duos, tight, inside, mid zones similar to Green Bay.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2022, 09:52 PM)Synric Wrote: I think the power, tight, and inside zone meshes better with the spread shotgun we seen later in the season when Joey B started to get healthy. Karras and Cappa fit that moreso too so I can see them running alot more Duos, tight, inside, mid zones similar to Green Bay.

Again, sorry for the formatting errors.

I think he is going to expand his scheme versatility but somewhere between what SF does and what GB does. I just can’t picture that drastic of a change. Duos would be nice, we haven’t had the IOL capable of successfully running that in a long time. Pin and pull is a nice complement to wide-zone too.
Feed The Cats Training

Reply/Quote
I think they end up signing more offensive lineman. They could still use another starter. I don't feel comfortable running anyone currently on the roster out there on opening day plus there is zero proven depth.

Bringing a guy like Spain or Reiff back on a cheap deal just makes too much sense. You could slot them in and then youd also have some depth.

I think the draft also dictates a lot of this. If they go first round OL then they obviously wont sign anyone else in FA you wouldn't think. But Im not sure I'd feel comfortable with that based on our history either, though.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I'd love to have Reiff back, but I don't think he is healthy or he would have been signed somewhere. There's nothing out there about him.
Reply/Quote
All I know is we have no quality starting LG and Carman is a huge injury risk if we go with him as I predicted last year. The depth on the OL still is really bad so we need a backup plan if Carman is either bad or can't play again because of his back problems. In my opinion we still need a quality LG either through free agency or the draft, I prefer free agency because the Bengals have proven to not be able to evaluate OL in the draft. I am fine with Prince as a backup tackle but we need another quality backup Center and Guard. I would be totally fine if we draft OL in the first 3 rounds and hope at least 1 of them is good, if we don't end up getting anyone else in free agency.
Reply/Quote