Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post FA Frenzy Mock
Round 1 - Mackensie Alexander (Clemson) Cornerback

[Image: alexander_mackensie_ow_700.jpg]

My personal preference would be a Defensive Tackle since that is a loaded position with guys like Robinson, Rankins, and Billings. However, I have mentioned a few times how the Bengals love their 3rd or 4th round Defensive Tackles because of the success of Atkins and Peko. I think they wait and look toward that area for another Defensive Tackle to add to the roster. Alexander is a very talented Corner and plays a position that the Bengals love to draft in the 1st round. If he falls to #24 I can see this selection being made. Pacman is talented but 32 years old while Kirkpatrick has underachieved so far and may also be looking for a big payday coming up. Dennard and Shaw have talent but have limited snaps in game action. All of those things could very well lead to BPA selection of Alexander.

Round 2 - Tyler Boyd (Pittsburgh) Wide Receiver

[Image: tyler-boyd.jpg]

I had Tyler Boyd in my previous mock draft and while I thought about switching it up I just don't see the need to do that. Unless they go WR in the first with Doctson or Coleman or someone like Fuller, Doctson, or Coleman are somehow available with our selection in the 2nd round then I think Boyd makes the most sense. I like Shephard from Oklahoma but we need another outside receiver a little more than a slot receiver (though we really need both) and I think getting the outside receiver makes more sense in the 2nd round. Another option is Michael Thomas from Ohio State here and I would be happy with either one as our choice.

Round 3 - Deion Jones (LSU) Linebacker

[Image: Deion-Jones-Michael-Chang-Getty-Images.jpg]

I think every single year I try to mock a player at linebacker that is a smaller and quicker guy at the position. Last year it was Kwon Alexander while the year before I wanted Ryan Shazier. Lavonte David was where that desire originated and I am still bitter we passed him up. That linebacker this year is either Darron Lee in the first round or if he is unable hopefully we can land Jones here in the 3rd.

Round 4 - Sheldon Day (Notre Dame) Defensive Tackle

[Image: sheldon-day-leader.jpg]

Another player I had in my previous mock draft that I see no reason to change at this point. Day was a productive player against quality competition at Notre Dame. We love to draft Defensive Tackles in the 4th round and Day is projected to go around this area. Seems like a perfect match to me.

Round 5 - KJ Dillon (West Virginia) Safety

[Image: 460x.jpg]

Athletic safety that needs work on his technique and could use some added muscle. Those are reasons he slides to the 5th round and being drafted to Cincinnati would be beneficial. He can help on special teams while not being asked to contribute immediately while he develops.

Round 6 - Jalin Marshall (Ohio State) Wide Receiver

[Image: Jalin-Marshall-Player-Of-The-Week.jpg]

A guy I would like to have seen stay another season at Ohio State to develop. I think he has a high upside and has immediate value as a returner while being able to work his way toward seeing some snaps in the slot. Recognized by Urban Meyer as a good blocker which is something the Bengals typically expect from their Receivers as well. I think Marshall isn't the fastest guy in the world but he is just a really solid football player that is going to get better and better.

Round 7 - Denver Kirkland (Arkansas) Guard

[Image: 6_2869547.JPG]

Offensive line depth at Guard that will compete for a roster spot or practice squad spot.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
I love the draft. I think Day and Jones will get pushed up a round. Day because of the run on DT's early and Jones because of lack of depth at the position. I expect to see most of the good receivers gone by end of 2nd so it makes sense to get boyd. This may be one of those rare drafts where the overwhelming need for a WR drives us to take one in the first, but who knows.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I like it except not taking a center turns me off a lot.

I know we can never have enough corners, but I think we're good there for this year and don't need another first rounder.
Reply/Quote
Works for me. Love Jones and Dillon picks.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 05:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I like it except not taking a center turns me off a lot.

I know we can never have enough corners, but I think we're good there for this year and don't need another first rounder.

I would personally be fine without a first round corner this year now that Pacman is back but I can see the reasons that the front office would want to take one early.

1. Alexander may be BPA when we select
2. Pacman is 32 years old and Kirkpatrick will up for a contract extension soon and hasn't been consistent.
3. We are likely to lose Leon Hall and have inexperienced corners in Dennard and Shaw to step up.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2016, 11:40 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: Round 1 - Mackensie Alexander (Clemson) Cornerback

[Image: alexander_mackensie_ow_700.jpg]

My personal preference would be a Defensive Tackle since that is a loaded position with guys like Robinson, Rankins, and Billings. However, I have mentioned a few times how the Bengals love their 3rd or 4th round Defensive Tackles because of the success of Atkins and Peko. I think they wait and look toward that area for another Defensive Tackle to add to the roster. Alexander is a very talented Corner and plays a position that the Bengals love to draft in the 1st round. If he falls to #24 I can see this selection being made. Pacman is talented but 32 years old while Kirkpatrick has underachieved so far and may also be looking for a big payday coming up. Dennard and Shaw have talent but have limited snaps in game action. All of those things could very well lead to BPA selection of Alexander.

Round 2 - Tyler Boyd (Pittsburgh) Wide Receiver

[Image: tyler-boyd.jpg]

I had Tyler Boyd in my previous mock draft and while I thought about switching it up I just don't see the need to do that. Unless they go WR in the first with Doctson or Coleman or someone like Fuller, Doctson, or Coleman are somehow available with our selection in the 2nd round then I think Boyd makes the most sense. I like Shephard from Oklahoma but we need another outside receiver a little more than a slot receiver (though we really need both) and I think getting the outside receiver makes more sense in the 2nd round. Another option is Michael Thomas from Ohio State here and I would be happy with either one as our choice.

Round 3 - Deion Jones (LSU) Linebacker

[Image: Deion-Jones-Michael-Chang-Getty-Images.jpg]

I think every single year I try to mock a player at linebacker that is a smaller and quicker guy at the position. Last year it was Kwon Alexander while the year before I wanted Ryan Shazier. Lavonte David was where that desire originated and I am still bitter we passed him up. That linebacker this year is either Darron Lee in the first round or if he is unable hopefully we can land Jones here in the 3rd.

Round 4 - Sheldon Day (Notre Dame) Defensive Tackle

[Image: sheldon-day-leader.jpg]

Another player I had in my previous mock draft that I see no reason to change at this point. Day was a productive player against quality competition at Notre Dame. We love to draft Defensive Tackles in the 4th round and Day is projected to go around this area. Seems like a perfect match to me.

Round 5 - KJ Dillon (West Virginia) Safety

[Image: 460x.jpg]

Athletic safety that needs work on his technique and could use some added muscle. Those are reasons he slides to the 5th round and being drafted to Cincinnati would be beneficial. He can help on special teams while not being asked to contribute immediately while he develops.

Round 6 - Jalin Marshall (Ohio State) Wide Receiver

[Image: Jalin-Marshall-Player-Of-The-Week.jpg]

A guy I would like to have seen stay another season at Ohio State to develop. I think he has a high upside and has immediate value as a returner while being able to work his way toward seeing some snaps in the slot. Recognized by Urban Meyer as a good blocker which is something the Bengals typically expect from their Receivers as well. I think Marshall isn't the fastest guy in the world but he is just a really solid football player that is going to get better and better.

Round 7 - Denver Kirkland (Arkansas) Guard

[Image: 6_2869547.JPG]

Offensive line depth at Guard that will compete for a roster spot or practice squad spot.

This might be one of the best drafts I've seen. The first 3 picks alone would immensely help, then throw in day and dillon and marshall for depth. Good job!
Reply/Quote