Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post First Wave of FA Draft - CJD
(03-20-2020, 10:49 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: The WR worthy of #33 IMO are: 

Mims: to me Mims is an AJ Green clone with the way he contorts his body
Jefferson: paring him with Burrow would help both acclimate to the NFL
Shenault: Injury history worries me some but if he checks out, he is a beast
Higgins:  Similar body-type to Green, but doesn't block well and can be bullied by physical CB.  

Shenault is just too damn talented for me to pass up if he is there.

Never seen a WR run like him before. WR/RB with wheels, great hands and explosive as hell.

Maybe just not use him like a RB eh? Maybe he will stay healthy then.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 03:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Shenault is just too damn talented for me to pass up if he is there.

Never seen a WR run like him before. WR/RB with wheels, great hands and explosive as hell.

Maybe just not use him like a RB eh? Maybe he will stay healthy then.

I LOVE watching Shenault play.

But I think there's this misconception that he's been injury prone because he was overused at RB or something.

Even I was planning on using that as an argument to draft him as a pure receiver. I went to double check his snaps just to make sure my argument held up. I was expecting to see that he had 50 to 100 carries each year for the last 3 years or something.

The dude has 40 carries in the last 2 years (2 carries in 2017, when he wasn't used much).

On the plus side, I was equally surprised at how many games he missed due to those injuries:
4 games in the last 2 years. He didn't have any stats in 7 games of his Freshman year, but Colorado's website says he played in 12 games, so maybe there are no stats listed for him in those 7 games because he was strictly special teams in those games? His freshman year, he was rarely used, as many freshmen are not. There are a few inconsistencies on that website, where it says he played in 9 of 11 games in this past season...but he has stats on ESPN in all 11 games...So I'm not exactly sure what's going on there...

The point is, he has had a variety of injuries, but he has played through them often and had surgery in the off season for the most part.

So I think both sides of the story are a little overblown. He's dealt with injuries, but not enough to make you think "this guy will always be on IR." His medical history doesn't support this line of thinking, having missed only 4 games due to injury.

On the other side of the argument, it doesn't seem like decreasing his carries is the solution to keep him on the field, as he had so few of them over his career.

Truth be told, this little research project into Shenault has made me more bullish on him than I had previously been. I'm not pretty comfortable taking him at 33 :).
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 06:02 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I LOVE watching Shenault play.

But I think there's this misconception that he's been injury prone because he was overused at RB or something.

Even I was planning on using that as an argument to draft him as a pure receiver. I went to double check his snaps just to make sure my argument held up. I was expecting to see that he had 50 to 100 carries each year for the last 3 years or something.

The dude has 40 carries in the last 2 years (2 carries in 2017, when he wasn't used much).

On the plus side, I was equally surprised at how many games he missed due to those injuries:
4 games in the last 2 years. He didn't have any stats in 7 games of his Freshman year, but Colorado's website says he played in 12 games, so maybe there are no stats listed for him in those 7 games because he was strictly special teams in those games? His freshman year, he was rarely used, as many freshmen are not.

He has had a variety of injuries, but he has played through them and had surgery in the off season for the most part.

So I think both sides of the story are a little overblown. He's dealt with injuries, but not enough to make you think "this guy will always be on IR." His medical history doesn't support this line of thinking, having missed only 4 games due to injury.

On the other side of the argument, it doesn't seem like decreasing his carries is the solution to keep him on the field, as he had so few of them over his career.

Truth be told, this little research project into Shenault has made me more bullish on him than I had previously been. I'm not pretty comfortable taking him at 33 :).
Is there an NFL player to compare him to?  Some people think such comparisons are foolish but I find them valuable.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 06:07 PM)McC Wrote: Is there an NFL player to compare him to?  Some people think such comparisons are foolish but I find them valuable.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/laviska-shenaultjr.?id=32195348-4545-8893-4e8b-5724302de088

NFL.com says Sammy Watkins or Greg Little.

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2020LShenault.php

Walterfootball says Juju Smith-Schuster.

Joe Marino says Sammy Watkins
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/laviska-shenault-jr/NLQE1jFVo5

There are comparisons to how he can be used in the NFL like Deebo Samuel was.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2874550-laviska-shenault-can-be-nfls-next-deebo-samuel

An Arizona Cardinals blogger has said he looks like Anquan Boldin, but with 4.4 speed.
https://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2019/11/2/20944861/two-wide-receiver-prospects-to-watch-in-college-football-today-jalen-reagor-laviska-shenault-jr

Basically, name a large, physical WR that can break tackles and can take carries from the Wildcat or in end arounds and you got a Shenault comparison haha.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2020, 06:02 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I LOVE watching Shenault play.

4 games in the last 2 years. He didn't have any stats in 7 games of his Freshman year, but Colorado's website says he played in 12 games, so maybe there are no stats listed for him in those 7 games because he was strictly special teams in those games? His freshman year, he was rarely used, as many freshmen are not. There are a few inconsistencies on that website, where it says he played in 9 of 11 games in this past season...but he has stats on ESPN in all 11 games...So I'm not exactly sure what's going on there...

The point is, he has had a variety of injuries, but he has played through them often and had surgery in the off season for the most part.

Thanks for all the research CJD damn. All I remember is just watching Colorado and going who the hell is that?

Dude just jumps off the screen at you. I don't want to take another WR who gets injured a lot but I like this guy better than 
Ross when he came out and I was all aboard the Ross pick just hoping he could stay healthy. Some players can overcome 
injuries and be tough as nails later on, some cannot.

Wish our coaches new how to use a player like this, sadly I have no faith in them in this aspect yet.

(03-21-2020, 06:07 PM)McC Wrote: Is there an NFL player to compare him to?  Some people think such comparisons are foolish but I find them valuable.

I like the Deebo Samuel comparison myself. But Laviska runs even angrier when he gets the ball and tries to run Defenders
over. Guy is a bit crazy, he could be the Marshawn Lynch of WR's or another John Ross, who knows?
Reply/Quote