Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post SECOND Wave of FA Draft - CJD
I did a mock draft after our first wave of free agency, which was Reader, Waynes, Alexander and Su'a Filo.
Now I will do a mock draft after our second wave of free agency, which included Vonn Bell, Josh Bynes and LaShaun Sims.

And this may be my favorite mock draft, if I'm being perfectly honest.

1 Joe Burrow, QB LSU

33 Zack Baun, EDGE/LB Wisconsin

65 Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR Michigan

107 Tyler Biadasz, IOL Wisconsin

147 Jack Driscoll, OT Auburn

180 Jacob Phillips, LB LSU

215 Jauan Jennings, WR Tennessee

To me, this is drafting a potential contributor at every single pick!

Joe Burrow is the easy pick. Nothing is getting in the way of the Bengals drafting their franchise QB. Not even 3 first round pick offers from Miami.

In the 2nd, I'm REALLY warming to the idea of Zack Baun, especially with Queen and Murray consistently not being there at 33. I really like these two tweets put out by Joe Goodberry explaining why Baun may be an ideal pick up for the Bengals:

Serviceable linebackers don't make offensive coordinators sweat. But hybrid guys that may rush the passer or may drop back in coverage? Those guys can be scary.
Now, Baun is not an amazing athlete or anything and that's basically his biggest knock, but scouts are confident that he has the agility and awareness to drop back in coverage and he obviously has the skill set required to rush the passer. This is an ideal pick for the Bengals defense and basically is the last remaining day 1 need for this defense to function well in 2020.

Peoples-Jones is a bit of a "pet pick" for me. He is being criminally underrated because he didn't have a ton of production at Michigan, but when you look at what he had at QB, you start to realize why. He was the #1 receiver coming out of high school and, when the QB was able to get him the ball, he showed why. He's got incredible hands, ideal size, amazing athleticism and outstanding body control. He isn't one of these jukey slot receivers, but he has a place on the outside and, as a 3rd round pick, doesn't have the pressure to contribute on day 1. I listened to the critiques of my last draft and backed off the 2nd round receiver, but I maintain that if we don't get one of the top 12 WRs in this class, it will be a complete waste of an incredibly deep WR class where you can get a 1st round talent in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Biadasz falling to the 4th round is perfect for me. It's not unreasonable either. It's where the draft network has him projected, after all. He could immediately compete at guard with Su'a Filo and Jordan, and he will be a quality back up at Center who could potentially overtake Hopkins, if the cards fall that way. He isn't an athletic freak, which is why he has lost value as the season has worn on, but he is incredible powerful and experienced and I would be very confident starting him on week 1 anywhere on the interior of the offensive line.

Jack Driscoll is another player who isn't an ideal athlete, but has shown on tape that he is a capable and powerful player. He probably won't compete with Hart for RT in his rookie year, but he does provide a capable back up at RT.

Jacob Phillips is a pure value pick for me in the 6th round. I think he could go as early as the 4th round. He's a competitive player who is best against the run, but he could potentially project to be better in coverage if he can get his instincts down. If he turns out to be nothing, then it's just a 6th round pick, but if he is able to offer defensive snaps, that is a bonus for the defense.

Jauan Jennings is another pure value pick for me. The fact that he's falling to the 7th round now after his poor 40 yard dash time just goes to show you people don't understand what he was good at in college. He's very big, very strong and can break a lot of tackles after the catch. He's also a quality run blocker. He isn't elusive, but with the catch radius and strength he has, he doesn't need to be. I don't know that Jennings will be able to get open at the next level, but if he can, he will create a lot of yards after the catch!

To me, this draft leaves us with no GLARING holes going into the 2020 NFL season. We still have positions that we could upgrade over time, but no position is irredeemable, like so many were last season. I really feel good about this draft class and I'd be stoked if it occurred this way!
Reply/Quote
I'm warming to Baun too. Seems like he would offer a lot of versatility, maybe more than any other LB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I can dig it for sure! This mock would have me gitty as I have always been a fan of Jacob Phillips
Reply/Quote
im cooling on Zack Baun big time after watching more of his tape. He's an average joe player who is good at everything but special at nothing. To top that off he's an average athlete at best. This is one of those kind of picks where people over draft a position because of need. When a guy like Jordyn Brooks or Jeremy Chinn could be much better a round later.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 10:02 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I did a mock draft after our first wave of free agency, which was Reader, Waynes, Alexander and Su'a Filo.
Now I will do a mock draft after our second wave of free agency, which included Vonn Bell, Josh Bynes and LaShaun Sims.

And this may be my favorite mock draft, if I'm being perfectly honest.

1 Joe Burrow, QB LSU

33 Zack Baun, EDGE/LB Wisconsin

65 Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR Michigan

107 Tyler Biadasz, IOL Wisconsin

147 Jack Driscoll, OT Auburn

180 Jacob Phillips, LB LSU

215 Jauan Jennings, WR Tennessee

To me, this is drafting a potential contributor at every single pick!

Joe Burrow is the easy pick. Nothing is getting in the way of the Bengals drafting their franchise QB. Not even 3 first round pick offers from Miami.

In the 2nd, I'm REALLY warming to the idea of Zack Baun, especially with Queen and Murray consistently not being there at 33. I really like these two tweets put out by Joe Goodberry explaining why Baun may be an ideal pick up for the Bengals:

Serviceable linebackers don't make offensive coordinators sweat. But hybrid guys that may rush the passer or may drop back in coverage? Those guys can be scary.
Now, Baun is not an amazing athlete or anything and that's basically his biggest knock, but scouts are confident that he has the agility and awareness to drop back in coverage and he obviously has the skill set required to rush the passer. This is an ideal pick for the Bengals defense and basically is the last remaining day 1 need for this defense to function well in 2020.

Peoples-Jones is a bit of a "pet pick" for me. He is being criminally underrated because he didn't have a ton of production at Michigan, but when you look at what he had at QB, you start to realize why. He was the #1 receiver coming out of high school and, when the QB was able to get him the ball, he showed why. He's got incredible hands, ideal size, amazing athleticism and outstanding body control. He isn't one of these jukey slot receivers, but he has a place on the outside and, as a 3rd round pick, doesn't have the pressure to contribute on day 1. I listened to the critiques of my last draft and backed off the 2nd round receiver, but I maintain that if we don't get one of the top 12 WRs in this class, it will be a complete waste of an incredibly deep WR class where you can get a 1st round talent in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Biadasz falling to the 4th round is perfect for me. It's not unreasonable either. It's where the draft network has him projected, after all. He could immediately compete at guard with Su'a Filo and Jordan, and he will be a quality back up at Center who could potentially overtake Hopkins, if the cards fall that way. He isn't an athletic freak, which is why he has lost value as the season  has worn on, but he is incredible powerful and experienced and I would be very confident starting him on week 1 anywhere on the interior of the offensive line.

Jack Driscoll is another player who isn't an ideal athlete, but has shown on tape that he is a capable and powerful player. He probably won't compete with Hart for RT in his rookie year, but he does provide a capable back up at RT.

Jacob Phillips is a pure value pick for me in the 6th round. I think he could go as early as the 4th round. He's a competitive player who is best against the run, but he could potentially project to be better in coverage if he can get his instincts down.  If he turns out to be nothing, then it's just a 6th round pick, but if he is able to offer defensive snaps, that is a bonus for the defense.

Jauan Jennings is another pure value pick for me. The fact that he's falling to the 7th round now after his poor 40 yard dash time just goes to show you people don't understand what he was good at in college. He's very big, very strong and can break a lot of tackles after the catch. He's also a quality run blocker. He isn't elusive, but with the catch radius and strength he has, he doesn't need to be. I don't know that Jennings will be able to get open at the next level, but if he can, he will create a lot of yards after the catch!

To me, this draft leaves us with no GLARING holes going into the 2020 NFL season. We still have positions that we could upgrade over time, but no position is irredeemable, like so many were last season. I really feel good about this draft class and I'd be stoked if it occurred this way!
Well done on this mock. There are a couple guys here or there I might draft differently if it were up to me, but I think overall I would be very happy and so would many others with this draft. 
I love Baun at 2 (although Queen is my dream pick at 2). I actually love Peoples-Jones at 3 and think there is a good chance he will be there. I watched more Michigan games than most on here probably, and he is big, fast, and can run routes and catch. 
Then you have ol Badass at 4 which I wanted also as a day 3 guy and then re-upping on another LSU lb in rd 6.

Not only is this a good mock draft, I think all options are viable in the rounds you selected where others mocks are more pipe dreams than close to any reality.
Reply/Quote
Great Mock CJD, I like Baun maybe better than Murray cause of his tackling and his coverage. Baun is about the safest
pick at LB in this Draft besides Simmons cause he does everything well. Much more production than Queen. Always liked
People-Jones, very talented, could be a #1 in the NFL down the road, great pick.

Biadasz is one of my favorite mid round Guards in this class, very solid pick, think he would start at RG immediately.

Like the Driscoll pick, Phillips is a steal in the 6th, led LSU in tackles over Queen.

Don't really care for Jauan cause he seems almost identical to Auden, but in the 7th is a good pick. Think I would rather
have speed but you already got that in Peoples-Jones so its all good. Well done.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 04:21 PM)BleedOnB Wrote: Well done on this mock. There are a couple guys here or there I might draft differently if it were up to me, but I think overall I would be very happy and so would many others with this draft. 
I love Baun at 2 (although Queen is my dream pick at 2). I actually love Peoples-Jones at 3 and think there is a good chance he will be there. I watched more Michigan games than most on here probably, and he is big, fast, and can run routes and catch. 
Then you have ol Badass at 4 which I wanted also as a day 3 guy and then re-upping on another LSU lb in rd 6.

Not only is this a good mock draft, I think all options are viable in the rounds you selected where others mocks are more pipe dreams than close to any reality.

Thank you! I do my best to make realistic mock drafts. Every once in a while you see an outlier drop in these mock draft simulations. When those situations occur, I either intentionally skip that player or I just outright restart the simulation, as that player dropping could have a domino effect in later rounds (if Andrew Thomas is there at 33, then I take him instead of Niang. Now an OT needy team in the middle of the round can take Niang, which means another player drops etc etc).

I've had mock drafts where Queen or Murray drop to the 2nd. And maybe that is a possibility. But every time I go to the NFL draft subreddit, there are Ravens fans, saints fans, packers fans and a few others who always criticize those drafts as unrealistic, which tells me there are several teams in the latter part of the draft that could very easily take Murray or Queen, making me doubt the realism of them being there at 33.

But maybe we'll be surprised! Big Grin

I also have watched a few Michigan games cuz my dad went to school there. He really likes Peoples-Jones. He said he'd be thrilled if the Bengals got him. Said he bailed out the QBs a ton while he played there. Watching his tape, you can see a few nice catches that a better QB would have hit him in stride. So I like his skill set a lot.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 04:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great Mock CJD, I like Baun maybe better than Murray cause of his tackling and his coverage. Baun is about the safest
pick at LB in this Draft besides Simmons cause he does everything well. Much more production than Queen. Always liked
People-Jones, very talented, could be a #1 in the NFL down the road, great pick.

Biadasz is one of my favorite mid round Guards in this class, very solid pick, think he would start at RG immediately.

Like the Driscoll pick, Phillips is a steal in the 6th, led LSU in tackles over Queen.

Don't really care for Jauan cause he seems almost identical to Auden, but in the 7th is a good pick. Think I would rather
have speed but you already got that in Peoples-Jones so its all good. Well done.

Yea, the Jennings pick is mostly because "why is he still available" more than need. I think he is similar to Auden in a lot of ways, but he breaks more tackles.
He also had 5 passes, 25 rushes and took some snaps from the shotgun in college, so has some potential as a trick play kind of guy.

Watch this highlight video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sa_MSEHaKPw
The real fun plays start at around 2:35

He's just a joy to watch play haha.
Reply/Quote
Jauan sure doesn't go down easy, damn. Pretty impressive, once he gets the ball he is fun to watch lol

Made me love the pick after those highlights. His yards after contact is crazy, great balance and is physical as hell.

Nothing wrong with having two 6'5" WR's as Red Zone targets.
Reply/Quote
Been on the Baun train for a few months now. Unless some first round stud falls I’ve had them taking Baun or WR like Higgins or Laviska in a lot of mocks.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 03:56 PM)Okeana Wrote: im cooling on Zack Baun big time after watching more of his tape.  He's an average joe player who is good at everything but special at nothing.  To top that off he's an average athlete at best.  This is one of those kind of picks where people over draft a position because of need.  When a guy like Jordyn Brooks or Jeremy Chinn could be much better a round later.

Baun will have a good career, but I don't see him being anything special.  He's really more of a true 3-4 scheme fit than in a hybrid.  

You lost me with Chinn.  I don't get the hype.  Kid is a dollar store version of Taylor Mays with some ball skills.  He'll have a decent career in the league because teams are always looking for guys with his size and speed for ST's, but I don't think he'll develop into more than a spot starter or situational player.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I hate to pour water on your parade, but I really think Baun goes in the late first round. If he offers everything that people say he does, including rushing the passer, why in the world wouldn't he be a 25-32 selection?
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2020, 03:39 AM)Whatever Wrote: Baun will have a good career, but I don't see him being anything special.  He's really more of a true 3-4 scheme fit than in a hybrid.  

You lost me with Chinn.  I don't get the hype.  Kid is a dollar store version of Taylor Mays with some ball skills.  He'll have a decent career in the league because teams are always looking for guys with his size and speed for ST's, but I don't think he'll develop into more than a spot starter or situational player.

Baun seems like one of those hard-to-find true 3-4 OLBs who can both rush the passer but also cover when asked.
Most of the time, you don't find a guy who can do both.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2020, 06:01 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I hate to pour water on your parade, but I really think Baun goes in the late first round.  If he offers everything that people say he does, including rushing the passer, why in the world wouldn't he be a 25-32 selection?

This is just who I picked in the simulation that had him falling to me. I see him as Off ball LB #3 in this draft. Historically, it isn't unreasonable at all for off ball LB #3 to be there in the 2nd round. 

In 2019, the 3rd OBLB went at #43
In 2018, the 3rd OBLB went at #19
In 2017, the 3rd OBLB went at #31
In 2016, the 3rd OBLB went at #34
In 2015, the 3rd OBLB went at #43
In 2014, the 3rd OBLB went at #40
In 2013, the 3rd OBLB went at #38
In 2012, the 3rd OBLB went at #35

So the top of the 2nd round is right around where your 3rd Off ball Linebacker should go.

Baun is a little different, as he did rush the passer in college, but all the scouting reports I've read say he is too small to consistently rush the passer and his best fit is as an OLB in a 4-3 who has pass rush as a tool in his tool belt, rather than a primary function.

If a team sees him as a true pass rusher, they may value him more, but even then he'd probably be the 4th ranked pass rusher, behind Young, Chaisson and Gross-Matos (potentially Epenesa if a team sees him as more than a 3-4 end). This is a relatively weak edge class, so there's a chance someone takes him before 33.

But if they do, the Bengals have other directions they can goo. OT, OG/C and WR are still ripe with talent for 33.

And then there's always the trade down, which we've done each of the last 3 years. And considering 33 is the first pick of the 2nd day, that means there's plenty of team for wheeling and dealing and driving up the price for the pick, as I'm sure several teams will be raring to get that one player they thought would be taken in the first round but now they have a shot at.

I am pretty comfortable with our spot at 33. If Baun, Ruiz, Higgins, Queen, Murray, Jefferson, Jones, Mims or maybe Niang is there, you take him. If all those players are taken, I'm sure there's a Love, Epenesa, Gross-Matos or McKinney there that someone would be willing to hand over a 3rd round pick to go get.

We got plenty of options Big Grin
Reply/Quote
I don't think most teams will view him as a true off ball LB since he's a good pass rusher - which is why I think he goes higher than most think.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2020, 04:42 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I don't think most teams will view him as a true off ball LB since he's a good pass rusher - which is why I think he goes higher than most think.

Could be right, just hope teams fall for the Queen/Murray hype and Baun falls out of the first to us.
Reply/Quote