Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post Trade First Pick Mock
Let me start by saying I was elated with the trade with Buffalo to acquire Cordy Glenn. This trade gives us a young established LT who I cannot wait to see work with Pollack to rejuvenate this offensive line. Not only did it sure up our biggest need but it totally opened up our draft. So I did a First Pick Mock prior to the trade so here is my post trade mock and I have to say I like it better than my pre trade mock.

Would love to hear some feedback.

1st Round - 21st Selection:

Leighton Vander Esch - OLB - Boise State - 6'4" 256:

I am thrilled to see this kid sitting there at 21. I know many are crushing on Tremaine Edmunds, yes he is an awesome talent, but my personal opinion is that Vander Esch could be the best and most complete OLB to come out of this draft. Paired with Burfict is going to create a fearsome duo of game changing backers as well as giving us the coverage element we have been sorely missing at the position. No more TEs beating up this defense game in and game out. Super excited with this selection.

2nd Round - 16th Selection:

There were a couple of players I was targeting here but had the opportunity to make a trade with Chargers to move down 2 spots while also acquiring the 20th selection in the 3rd round. I felt the 3rd round this year is a round that is going to have some potentially valuable targets and I as well felt I could still get one of my targets in the deal. It worked.

Ronnie Harrison - S - Alabama - 6'3" 214:

In Harrison I see a Pro Bowl S for several years.  It seems we have struggled in the backend of the defense since losing Reggie Nelson. We have either seen injuries or just been able to find that right combination. Harrison I believe is going to be a rookie season starter. I feel this selection gives us an outstanding young talent on the backend of this defense that also is playmaker in run support.

Round 3 - 13th Selection:

Isaiah Oliver - CB - Colorado - 6'1" 190:

What we have young CBs? Yes we do and you can never have too many of them in this league, especially with the size, speed, and cover ability of this young man. Has some work to do but it is on things that are coachable. In the very near future I see an outside tandem of Jackson lll and Oliver with Dennard in the slot. What a trio that will be.

Round 3 - Selection 20: (acquired in Chargers trade)

Tim Settle - DT - Virginia Tech - 6'3" 335:

We keep hoping to see Billings step up and not happening thus far. Settle gives us the player we have been looking for next to Atkins. He is a force in the middle of the D line. Very athletic big man that pushes the pocket and stuffs the run. Has drawn comparisons to Wilfork and Dontario Poe. Has had some issues with weight but the reports are that he was challenged by the VT staff to drop weight and work on conditioning and responded to that challenge and it showed in his performance.

(Had the 36th selection in the 3rd but was not in love with any player at this position but had the opportunity to trade down with the Giants and get the 2nd selection in the 4th and 5th)

4th Round - 2nd Selection:

Mason Cole -C- Michigan - 6'4" 305:

Experience at LT and C for Michigan. Was the first true freshman in Michigan history to start an opener at LT. Moved inside to center after to seasons at LT when their center Glasgow went to the NFL. Needs to get stronger but that will happen at the next level. As well as a solid center candidate he gives us position flexibility in an emergency. Feel really good about this selection and look forward to seeing what Pollack can do with this young man.

4th Round - 12th Selection:

Orlando Brown -OT- Oklahoma - 6'8" 360:

Yep he flopped at the combine so I guess the good thing is that the underwear Olympics are not the tell all of a player. The game film tells a completely different story. We solidified the LT tackle position with Glenn but the RT position as well has to have attention. I have viewed Brown all along as an NFL RT and am very happy to see him still available at this point in the draft. I do not see Fisher having the demeanor I would like to see at the RT position, just does not have that nasty side, and with Smith going to Arizona we have to address it. I think Brown is a steal at this point in the draft and a rookie starter at RT and a guy that could play the position for 10 years. Good football lineage.

5th Round - 2nd Selection:(acquired in Giants trade)

Luke Falk -QB- Washington State - 6'4" 225:

I really like this selection here. The only distractor I have is that Falk got pretty beat up behind the Washington State line. However, he is a big kid that gets the ball out very quickly and very accurately. I like Jeff Driskel and see him having the #2 spot this season but I think Falk is a young guy that could seriously make you consider carrying three QBs and developing him.

5th Round - 14th Selection:

Michael Dickson -P- Texas - 6'3" 205:

Hard to get excited about a punter but this kid is very good. Yes we re-signed Huber but a team only gets better with competition. I would hope this would lead to an honest and open competition and may the best man win. If Huber wins it so be it. However, while Huber is a local product and fan guy....if Dickson wins it then so be it.

5th Round - Selection 33:

Jaleel Scott -WR- New Mexico State - 6'5" 215:

This kid could be the steal of the draft here. Does not seem to get disrupted in his routes and has a big catch radius. Does not have elite speed but gets separation with good route running. Has deep ability because of his size and fierceness in going after the ball. I really think this kid has not realized how good he can be and is going to greatly benefit from NFL coaching.

(Had an opportunity to make a trade with Baltimore giving them our last 5th round selection along with 2 of our 7th round selections while acquiring the 13th and 16th selections in the 6th)

6th Round - 13th Selection:

Carlson Daniel -K- Auburn - 6'5" 213:

We must get better at the place kicker position. Daniel has a strong leg and has been pretty accurate from over 50 yards. Seemed to struggle with some technique issues last season but it does not look like anything that cannot be corrected especially by Simmons. 28 of 32 for his career at Auburn beyond the 50.

6th Round - 16th Selection:

Jamil Demby -OG- Maine - 6'4" 319:

A 4 year starter at OT. Projects more as an OG at the NFL level but certainly gives position flexibility. Appears to be a good pass blocker and decent run blocker but will need to improve in the latter. However, shows natural functional strength and looks just to need to improve technique in run blocking. In watching the little film I could find on him I really like this selection.

7th Round - 35th Selection:

Marcell Frazier -DE- Missouri - 6'5" 255:

Looks the part of a 4-3 DE will need to add some mass at the next level but should not be a problem with an NFL workout regimen and has the frame to carry it. High motor kid who gives constant effort. I see a kid in Frazier that allows us to move on from MJ and his salary. Has the tools I feel to develop into a very capable NFL starting DE.

Well there you have it folks. Personally, I really like this draft and I feel it would go a very long way in greatly improving the team. Let me know what you think!
Reply/Quote
lmao you can tell people who have trends. first 4 picks all defense when we have no real starting right tackle or center signed atm. not to mention like 75% of the offensive line's contracts are up after this season. I would be very surprised if Leighton went in the first, but it could happen especially with a team like the pats. btw none of this is meant to poop on ur mock which is atleast creative and u have a couple really good prospects

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 12:04 PM)Okeana Wrote: lmao you can tell people who have trends.  first 4 picks all defense when we have no real starting right tackle or center signed atm.  not to mention like 75% of the offensive line's contracts are up after this season.  I would be very surprised if Leighton went in the first, but it could happen especially with a team like the pats.  btw none of this is meant to poop on ur mock which is atleast creative and u have a couple really good prospects

Had nothing at all to do with "trends" it had to do with value with each selection. Sure I could have reached or selected what I felt was a lesser value to fit a need but did not do that and certainly hope this franchise does not do that come draft time. 

Vander Esch most likely does not make it past Pittsburgh and I would not at all be surprised to see him go before the 21st selection. You have made it extremely apparent that you do not see him as an actual first round selection and would really like to hear your evaluation of him as non first round prospect.

You are correct we may not have a starting RT candidate at the roster at this time which is why I addressed that with the selection of Orlando Brown. I also addressed center with the selection of Mason Cole. However, I would hope that the center position is looked at with a microscope by Pollack and he entertains the idea of working some existing roster players at center such as TJ Johnson, Westerman, and Trey Hopkins.

So you only see a "couple" of really good prospects? So who do you see as not good and good? This btw is not meant to poop on your reply however if you are going to critique then please offer the courtesy of reasonable data to support it.
Reply/Quote
wayyyyy too early for leighton but i like that u want toaddresslinebacker earlycuz we need to but give me evans not another vigil. everythingur saying about leighton was said of vigil. our offensive line is a mess and u wanna solve it with a the jamarcus russels of tackles and a 4thround center. bro if u a bengals fan u gotta change this shyt lol
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 11:10 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: wayyyyy too early for leighton but i like that u want toaddresslinebacker earlycuz we need to but give me evans not another vigil.  everythingur saying about leighton was said of vigil.  our offensive line is a mess and u wanna solve it with a the jamarcus russels of tackles and a 4thround center.  bro if u a bengals fan u gotta change this shyt lol

I think I have translated your complete destruction of the English language so I will address what I think you have stated.

1) They are not saying the same things about Leighton that they said about Vigil. Leighton is being lauded for his quick twitch and suddenness. While Vigil was stated as not having this quick twitch ability and rather his instincts made him appear to be faster and more athletic than he actually is. Just the opposite of Vander Esch who is being touted as ultra athletic with sideline to sideline ability. This was not stated about Vigil.

Leighton has drawn comparisons to the early Karlos Dansby where Vigil drew comparisons to Hunter Hillenmeyer. So yeah the comparisons and evaluations are not even remotely close. Vigil was looked at as a instinctive backer that may not be a super athlete but is a try hard guy while Leighton is looked as a very smooth and athletic guy.

2) Yes the O line has issues last year. Sure enough. LT has been addressed already with the trade for Cordy Glenn. Which was an excellent move by this franchise. So that brings us to RT. It would appear that you put a lot of stock in the underwear Olympics. Had it not been for the combine then Orlando Brown would be looking at a first round draft selection. One thing is true and that is that game film will always override combine performance. If the Brown selection were made to address the LT position then I would have serious concerns about it. He played LT at Oklahoma but Willie Anderson played LT for Auburn however both are a much better fit at RT in the NFL. 

3) Center.....It would seem that you take issue with the round that a center was drafted. Take a look at Travis Frederick who was a first round selection yet in the 2017 season drew a poorer rating than Bodine according to PFF as well in 2017 Pouncy did as well. Do I think Frederick is a better center than Bodine? Absolutely but that just points out that being a first round selection does not guarantee perfection.

When you look at those who are considered top centers in the league you are going to find they were drafted all over. You obviously have first round guys like Mack, Frederick, Pouncey and so forth. Second round guys like Hudson. Yet you also have guys like Jason Kelce 6th round, Brandon Linder 3rd round, Matt Paradis 6th round, David Andrews undrafted, Ryan Jensen 6th round, John Sullivan 6th round, Ben Jones 4th round, JC Tretter 4th round.............these are just top half of the league guys. 

So as you can see your debate point of 4th round being a factor in drafting a productive center does not hold water at all.

Lastly....do not try to define my being a fan as I am quite certain I was a fan before you were even born.....bro.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2018, 07:34 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I think I have translated your complete destruction of the English language so I will address what I think you have stated.

1) They are not saying the same things about Leighton that they said about Vigil. Leighton is being lauded for his quick twitch and suddenness. While Vigil was stated as not having this quick twitch ability and rather his instincts made him appear to be faster and more athletic than he actually is. Just the opposite of Vander Esch who is being touted as ultra athletic with sideline to sideline ability. This was not stated about Vigil.

Leighton has drawn comparisons to the early Karlos Dansby where Vigil drew comparisons to Hunter Hillenmeyer. So yeah the comparisons and evaluations are not even remotely close. Vigil was looked at as a instinctive backer that may not be a super athlete but is a try hard guy while Leighton is looked as a very smooth and athletic guy.

2) Yes the O line has issues last year. Sure enough. LT has been addressed already with the trade for Cordy Glenn. Which was an excellent move by this franchise. So that brings us to RT. It would appear that you put a lot of stock in the underwear Olympics. Had it not been for the combine then Orlando Brown would be looking at a first round draft selection. One thing is true and that is that game film will always override combine performance. If the Brown selection were made to address the LT position then I would have serious concerns about it. He played LT at Oklahoma but Willie Anderson played LT for Auburn however both are a much better fit at RT in the NFL. 

3) Center.....It would seem that you take issue with the round that a center was drafted. Take a look at Travis Frederick who was a first round selection yet in the 2017 season drew a poorer rating than Bodine according to PFF as well in 2017 Pouncy did as well. Do I think Frederick is a better center than Bodine? Absolutely but that just points out that being a first round selection does not guarantee perfection.

When you look at those who are considered top centers in the league you are going to find they were drafted all over. You obviously have first round guys like Mack, Frederick, Pouncey and so forth. Second round guys like Hudson. Yet you also have guys like Jason Kelce 6th round, Brandon Linder 3rd round, Matt Paradis 6th round, David Andrews undrafted, Ryan Jensen 6th round, John Sullivan 6th round, Ben Jones 4th round, JC Tretter 4th round.............these are just top half of the league guys. 

So as you can see your debate point of 4th round being a factor in drafting a productive center does not hold water at all.

Lastly....do not try to define my being a fan as I am quite certain I was a fan before you were even born.....bro.

i was on my phone and was high as hell on pain meds cuz i just had my wisdom teeth taken out but nice attempt at trying to make me care about my grammar on a bengal fan forum lol oh and im under the influence of pain meds again today so i should apologize in advance.  Most importantly tho, wayyyyyyyyyy to early for Leighton.  Il take evans there thanks.  I like mason cole so im ok with the pick but center is too big of a need imo to wait til the 4th. just cuz history shows its possible to get a solid center in the 4th.  Id rather a daniels, wynn, or price thanks in the late first early second.  with 2 out of those three having experience as well up and down the offensive line.  and only 1 of those guys u mentioned being late round centers is a pro bowler in jason kelce.  Center is a major need here in cinci...id rather go early in the draft cuz id prefer a bro bowl type player at center and i think dalton would to.  so as i appreciate the effort u havent changed my mind.  Butu dont care which is fine. ohh and BTW bodine was a 4th round center too soo u can def miss as well, and bodine is a 4th round major swing and major miss.  Draft a center early and be done with it imo.
Reply/Quote