Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Dark Horse Mock
I think most can agree that the Glenn trade was as 'blockbuster' of a trade as one can get for our Bengals, but it actually was and it filled a great need. I'm not sure if they are willing to do what is necessary and free up some more cap space by letting LaFell and MJ walk, but they've proven most of us wrong about a lot already and its not even officially Free Agency yet. The next 2 weeks, the Bengals will speak for themselves.

Couple things I would like to mention:

The d-line doesn't look that bad, I'm not saying it can't be improved through the draft, but it also doesn't look as bad as the other side of the ball... Chris Baker may be the next Chris Smith. I am hopeful and expect to see a more improved run defense in 2018-2019. I'm giving Austin the benefit of the doubt to get this fixed.

Tight End is a question mark. In recent years we clearly have wanted two solid TE's like the Patriots have had, but with the likely departure of Eifert, we have another glaring hole on offense. Don't be shocked to see us look at TE early on. I am a huge fan of Kroft and personally don't see TE as a huge need right now compared to some other positions, but the Bengals may see it differently and to be honest, we don't have any real weapons outside of AJ. Maybe Gio.

Safety. One of the biggest things the Bengals could do to get me pumped is draft a REAL safety. Stop with the late round projects. We need an Ed Reed in here to help cause more turnovers. That or bring old man Nelson back, that alone would be an improvement. Maybe they shock us again and sign someone in Free Agency to replace Williams. Iloka isn't bad when he has a true safety to compliment him (Nelson).

Mock Draft:

1. Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn State
The dark horse not too many people bring up, but with Eifert on the way out most likely and an amazing combine by Gesicki, I could see us pulling the trigger on him or another TE in the first or second round.

Mike has the measurables, the speed and the attitude to be the next best TE in the NFL. Might be better than a healthy Eifert. Andy needs more options than just Green and... Kroft? LaFell? Boyd? Ross? Too many question marks for a QB who thrives off of a supporting cast. He's no Tom Brady folks. Andy needs real weapons.

2. Billy Price, G/C, Ohio State
Slid due to combine "injury"/ mishap on bench. Kid plays with heart and would be an immediate starter day one. Goodbye Bodine! Price is supposed to be ready be start of training camp. A true steal if he slides this far.

3a. Jamarco Jones, OT, Ohio State
Word on the street is Andre Smith is no longer in the Bengals Free Agency plans. Look for us to go after another OT early in the draft.

Jones is a serviceable pass/run blocking OT. If he lives up to his draft status that would be an upgrade automatically over what we have now.

3b. DeShon Elliot, S, Texas
With Iloka being an average safety and Williams being below average, the Bengals should look at safety sometime early on in the draft.

Elliot had a breakout season in 2017 and had 6 interceptions making him one of the biggest ball hawks in this draft class which is what Austin is looking for.

4. Josey Jewell, ILB, Iowa
We need LB help. Maybe a little late in the draft now to be looking for immediate impact, but then we look back at Peko, Atkins and Lawson... All round 4 picks.

Josey has great instincts for the ball and can lay the smack down if he catches you in open field. 4.5 sacks, 13.5  tackles for a loss , 2 interceptions and one forced fumble in 2017.

5a. Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State
Before anyone blasts me for projecting Rudolph this late, you're probably the same people who thought McCarron was going to be a hot commodity in Free Agency. Am I right? Point being, there are simply not enough teams starving for a QB this offseason. Who do we got? The Jets, Bills, maybe the Dolphins, maybe the Browns, Cardinals, maybe the Giants and hell, I'll even throw the Saints, Chargers and Steelers in there as big maybes looking for future successors at QB. This QB class is HUGE. I just don't see enough hungry teams with still a few options left in Free Agency. You know Philly could ship out Nick Foles to one of these teams mentioned above any day now too. A good QB will fall because the demand isn't as high as people may think.

With that said, Mason looks good. There are a lot of mixed reviews on him from the combine. He interviewed well, but you have some teams calling him a second day pick while others are labeling him a 5th round pick. He'll need time to learn behind a veteran QB, he's not a plug and play starter QB, but with time he could be great.

5b. Marcell Ateman, WR, Oklahoma  State
Another steal from Oklahoma State. Projected to be a mid to late round pick.

This kid can ball, YAC in 2017 was around 19.4 with 59 catches fro 1,156 yeards and 8 TD's.  He's a big target that isn't afraid to go up after the catch, if he's here we should take him.

5c. Tyquan Lewis, DE, Ohio State
Great pass rusher, statistically he had a great year in 2017, but some believe he just had an amazing supporting front 7 (which he did), but this is one of those boom or bust picks. I think with time he can be atl east a serviceable back up end.

7a. BPA

7b. BPA

7c. BPA
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
Really like you 1st and 2nd picks. I think that would put us back to a top 10 offense with our current roster. Still very concerned about our rush defense though. If we do draft like that, we really need to add a solid LB and/or DT in FA.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 07:48 AM)treee Wrote: Really like you 1st and 2nd picks. I think that would put us back to a top 10 offense with our current roster. Still very concerned about our rush defense though. If we do draft like that, we really need to add a solid LB and/or DT in FA.

In a perfect world (with enough cap space/a couple cuts), we could be looking at Tahir Whitehead or even Suh would be nice, but also very doubtful.

Reply/Quote
This probably one of the best mock drafts I have seen. I'd take this and be very happy!
Reply/Quote
I like ur first 3 picks however.m u not addressing the linebacker situation has me loath this outcome. Jewell is another middle round special teamer type backer who will not start in the league especially in the afc north next to burfict. Linebacker outside of oline is our biggest need. The bengals are doing this differently this year so I think they attack needs instead of bpa. Jewell doesn’t solve a need at all.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:02 PM)sandwedge Wrote: This probably one of the best mock drafts I have seen. I'd take this and be very happy!

Really??? Why in this draft give us a solution at linebacker?!?!? Nothing. Jewell is a back up at best in the league. This draft would not make me happy. Tired of saying we ngotta stop the run first but never invest in GOOD linebackers. Burfict is it.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:33 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Really???  Why in this draft give us a solution at linebacker?!?!?    Nothing.  Jewell is a back up at best in the league.  This draft would not make me happy.  Tired of saying we ngotta stop the run first but never invest in GOOD linebackers.  Burfict is it.

I feel confident when saying this unfortunately, but I don't believe LB is on the Bengals radar early in this draft. Hope I'm wrong, but even JimO. said the same thing. The Bengals like what they got in Evans and probably even Vigil. This mock is my 'realistic' Bengals mock if Eifert walks.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2018, 12:02 PM)sandwedge Wrote: This probably one of the best mock drafts I have seen. I'd take this and be very happy!

Thanks bud

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 01:06 PM)Takedown Wrote: I feel confident when saying this unfortunately, but I don't believe LB is on the Bengals radar early in this draft. Hope I'm wrong, but even JimO. said the same thing. The Bengals like what they got in Evans and probably even Vigil. This mock is my 'realistic' Bengals mock if Eifert walks.

Hope ur wrong too. Evans vigil and Rey are trash when talking about a starting linebacker
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 12:33 PM)SadFaceBengal15 Wrote: Really???  Why in this draft give us a solution at linebacker?!?!?    Nothing.  Jewell is a back up at best in the league.  This draft would not make me happy.  Tired of saying we ngotta stop the run first but never invest in GOOD linebackers.  Burfict is it.

What makes you so sure Jewell is a back up at best? He was one of the best in the Big 10 the last couple of years racking up pretty good numbers when it came to tackles.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2018, 04:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: What makes you so sure Jewell is a back up at best? He was one of the best in the Big 10 the last couple of years racking up pretty good numbers when it came to tackles.

Cuz he’s a 4th round vigil all over again what makes u think another 4th round or late round linebacker is gonna be influential here? Cuz they played well in College? Backer is a major need for this team but u could sell me on them addressing it late as they may like who they have but that doesn’t justify the actual lack of depth at the position that is filled up with middle round guys who amount to nothing In regards to a starting linebacker. There ya go. Gimme Evans or Leonard someone with some speed who can fly around sideline to sideline and make plays with tenacity. A telvin smith type player in Leonard and a shazier type in evans is what we need next to burfict not another half ass role player in jewell who will be a special teams captain and solid role player but that’s it. I’d like anlinebacker please not a bandaid again at linebacker. Nick vigil Justin Evans.....f***** who?!?!?? These guys are awful. Draft a damn backer not one of these role player special teamers I’m tired of the bs in Cincinnati. Fix the dam problems. And u thinking ANOTHER late round backer is our answer is one of em. Goodness. Sure other teams hit on late round backer but the bengals do not.....ever. Their scouting department is outdated with old eyes that haven’t evolved with the game. Bengals backer draft class is atrocious. If we wanna stop the run draft a god damn GOOD. High values prospect. Not another fricken Nick are u kidding me rat tail vigil.
Reply/Quote

Agree - other then the first rounder.

I'd much rather take Hernandez or Wynn at that spot.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 05:18 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Agree - other then the first rounder.

I'd much rather take Hernandez or Wynn at that spot.

In all fairness, I made this the day before we re-signed Eifert lol. Making another soon!

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2018, 05:53 PM)Takedown Wrote: In all fairness, I made this the day before we re-signed Eifert lol. Making another soon!

Makes sense.  I still think until this team fixes the entire line, our skill guys won't mean squat.
Reply/Quote