Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post craziest draft takes here
Bengals draft Hendon Hooker at #28

Why?
1) Bengals have no glaring needs for a 1st Rounder to come in and start.
2) Provides Cincy a solid backup for cheap for 4 years.
3) If Burrow goes down a few games the season might not be a loss.
4) At 5th year option (or any year prior) his trade value could be immense.

Bengals draft a WR, but not to replace Boyd.

Why?
1) Chase moves to the slot next season increasing his touches for a potential Cooper Kupp type season, year after year.
2) Bengals need more speed at WR, draft a player with size and speed that can play the outside.

Reply/Quote
Hendon Hooker will be 30 years old when he plays on his 5th year option.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bengals draft another Safety In Rd 1 or Rd 2 because they don't actually feel confident in Hill and/or Scott to handle starter duties and want more competition for the starting spot.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 01:22 PM)Synric Wrote: Hendon Hooker will be 30 years old when he plays on his 5th year option.

I said it was crazy.... but is 30 old for a QB nowadays?

Besides there are QB emergencies every year in the NFL.... 

(Of course I wouldn't do it, stole this from a PFF conversation regarding the Chiefs)

Reply/Quote
I have a sneaky feeling a backup QB is going to be selected. My crazy take is one will be selected before one is on any fans radar to be selected. 4th round.

They seem to love kid from UCLA, and one of my sleepers, kid from Purdue

Double dipping on TE, RB, CB, or grabbing a wideout may not be in the works if a pick is going to go to QB.

Maybe this take isn't as crazy as selecting one at 28, but I don't think drafting a qb is being discussed enough around here and I think it's very likely.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote

I think that I can push the Crazy Scale with this one.

Duke seeks the advice of Former Bears and Saints Coach Mike Ditka who helped make the Trade for Ricky Williams and Mike crafts a Trade up involving ALL of the Bengals Draft picks in a move way up the Draft Board to make sure that the Bengals get running back Bijan Robinson.

Duke and Mike show up at the Draft wearing Dreds like Mike did when he drafted Ricky Williams.

Then for a touch more Crazy - The Bengals sign 45 year old Ricky Williams for running back Depth. Gaah
Reply/Quote
1. Unless they take Darnell Wright at 28 or Dawand Jones at 60 (or some other major value pick later in the draft), they will not draft a single OT in this draft. It may sound crazy, but with Collins optimistic about his return at or near opening day, Jackson Carman's (brief) renaissance at LT during the playoffs, Cody Ford's return to his natural position of tackle on a vet minimum deal and Jonah Williams being moved from LT to RT (or being traded, we'll see), there simply is not room for a development OT on this roster right now. They'd have to be, at a minimum, better than D'Ante Smith or Hakeem Adeniji to even maintain a spot on the roster. I don't see any definitive upgrades at OT in the 3rd round or later and even some 2nd round options like Blake Freeland and Matt Bergeron may not be good enough to compete with Carman, Collins and Williams at RT this year. If competing for a SB window with this core intact is a priority, I think they will prioritize positions that can give a higher day 1 impact than a 3rd or 4th string RT in 2023.

2. OG/C will be a higher priority than many realize. I don't think they'll definitely attempt to upgrade Volson, but if they are given the opportunity, I think they'd be open to it. Making Volson, a guy who has shown that he can hold up at guard for a full season (even if he didn't exactly thrive there), the first guard off your bench is a really valuable asset and there are only 4 guards currently on this roster that have any starting experience and no back up centers with any starting experience. I could see them targeting a guard with center experience/versatility somewhere on day 2 if the cards fall right.

3. They will not address RB in the first three rounds. This is more of a gut feeling than anything else, but I just think this RB class is too deep with rotational guys, but too shallow with 3 down backs. There are a bunch of different types of committee backs, like a power running in Roschon Johnson, a speed threat like Israel Abanikanda, but I only see 2 total backs that have day 1 3 down potential: Bijan Robinson and Zach Charbonnet. I don't think the Bengals will want to spend a day 2 pick on a committee back, so I think it's likely top of their priority list on day 3 to get a guy like Eric Gray or, if we're lucky, Roschon Johnson in the 4th or 5th round.

Then, I have a few other less "crazy" takes but more just value thoughts. I don't think they take a TE in round 1 (not enough positional value), I don't think they leave day 2 without a CB (too much positional value) and I think they'll pounce at any player that can generate a pass rush, inside or outside, at any point in the draft, even the first round (way too much positional value).

EDIT: Okay, I probably should have perused the thread before replying. My takes are nowhere near crazy enough it seems. I guess mine are closer to "bold takes" than "crazy takes"
Reply/Quote

May not be that Crazy but the Bengals Trading up to say pick #20 would surprise many and add some excitement.

They could then possibly take Darnell Wright or Bijan Robinson or Myles Murphy or Deonte Banks or Lukas Van Ness or some other player that they believe will not slip to pick #28.

I would trust their judgement if they chose to do this and I think that this Message Board would light up with excitement. (and naysayers of course)
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 01:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals draft another Safety In Rd 1 or Rd 2 because they don't actually feel confident in Hill and/or Scott to handle starter duties and want more competition for the starting spot.

If they draft a Safety I like Skinner in the mid rounds.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 03:07 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: 1. Unless they take Darnell Wright at 28 or Dawand Jones at 60 (or some other major value pick later in the draft), they will not draft a single OT in this draft. It may sound crazy, but with Collins optimistic about his return at or near opening day, Jackson Carman's (brief) renaissance at LT during the playoffs, Cody Ford's return to his natural position of tackle on a vet minimum deal and Jonah Williams being moved from LT to RT (or being traded, we'll see), there simply is not room for a development OT on this roster right now. They'd have to be, at a minimum, better than D'Ante Smith or Hakeem Adeniji to even maintain a spot on the roster. I don't see any definitive upgrades at OT in the 3rd round or later and even some 2nd round options like Blake Freeland and Matt Bergeron may not be good enough to compete with Carman, Collins and Williams at RT this year. If competing for a SB window with this core intact is a priority, I think they will prioritize positions that can give a higher day 1 impact than a 3rd or 4th string RT in 2023.

2. OG/C will be a higher priority than many realize. I don't think they'll definitely attempt to upgrade Volson, but if they are given the opportunity, I think they'd be open to it. Making Volson, a guy who has shown that he can hold up at guard for a full season (even if he didn't exactly thrive there), the first guard off your bench is a really valuable asset and there are only 4 guards currently on this roster that have any starting experience and no back up centers with any starting experience. I could see them targeting a guard with center experience/versatility somewhere on day 2 if the cards fall right.

3. They will not address RB in the first three rounds. This is more of a gut feeling than anything else, but I just think this RB class is too deep with rotational guys, but too shallow with 3 down backs. There are a bunch of different types of committee backs, like a power running in Roschon Johnson, a speed threat like Israel Abanikanda, but I only see 2 total backs that have day 1 3 down potential: Bijan Robinson and Zach Charbonnet. I don't think the Bengals will want to spend a day 2 pick on a committee back, so I think it's likely top of their priority list on day 3 to get a guy like Eric Gray or, if we're lucky, Roschon Johnson in the 4th or 5th round.

Then, I have a few other less "crazy" takes but more just value thoughts. I don't think they take a TE in round 1 (not enough positional value), I don't think they leave day 2 without a CB (too much positional value) and I think they'll pounce at any player that can generate a pass rush, inside or outside, at any point in the draft, even the first round (way too much positional value).

EDIT: Okay, I probably should have perused the thread before replying. My takes are nowhere near crazy enough it seems. I guess mine are closer to "bold takes" than "crazy takes"

1. They will take a very good player at almost any position outside a handful.  Your OT examples made me chuckle:
- LC had his worst year this past season then destroyed his knee. We have no idea when he returns full strength or how he will play.
- Carmen has never won a starting postion with the Bengals and stated the difficulties he had moving to the right side.
- Ford has been awful throughout his career.
- Adeniji was awful at RT
- Smith obviously regressed and was worse this past year than the previous. 

2.  Day two might be a stretch, but OG/C is a need.

3.  Historically the Bengals draft starting RBs in the 1st two rounds.  But who is to say they are looking for a bell cow back?  Gibbs is extremely dynamic, we beat KC last season if we had Gibbs.  Achane in the 2nd or 3rd is electric.  I'd be happy with either.

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 05:19 PM)pulses Wrote: If they draft a Safety I like Skinner in the mid rounds.

Same I had him as a Rd 3-4 option for SS until Nick Scott was added.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 05:40 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Same I had him as a Rd 3-4 option for SS until Nick Scott was added.

I still wouldn't be mad if we drafted him.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 05:19 PM)pulses Wrote: If they draft a Safety I like Skinner in the mid rounds.

Yes!
Reply/Quote
How about QB Jake Haener?
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 05:37 PM)casear2727 Wrote: 1. They will take a very good player at almost any position outside a handful.  Your OT examples made me chuckle:
- LC had his worst year this past season then destroyed his knee. We have no idea when he returns full strength or how he will play.
- Carmen has never won a starting postion with the Bengals and stated the difficulties he had moving to the right side.
- Ford has been awful throughout his career.
- Adeniji was awful at RT
- Smith obviously regressed and was worse this past year than the previous. 

2.  Day two might be a stretch, but OG/C is a need.

3.  Historically the Bengals draft starting RBs in the 1st two rounds.  But who is to say they are looking for a bell cow back?  Gibbs is extremely dynamic, we beat KC last season if we had Gibbs.  Achane in the 2nd or 3rd is electric.  I'd be happy with either.

1. And Williams is the likely starter. So a draft pick has to displace one of those players. A RT drafted later than the 2nd round is probably 3rd or 4th string RT. I'd suggest using this year's draft picks to improve the 2023 team first and foremost.

2. And 3. Well, they're called crazy takes not most likely takes Tongue
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2023, 12:10 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: 1. And Williams is the likely starter. So a draft pick has to displace one of those players. A RT drafted later than the 2nd round is probably 3rd or 4th string RT. I'd suggest using this year's draft picks to improve the 2023 team first and foremost.

2. And 3. Well, they're called crazy takes not most likely takes Tongue

Honestly, a RT taken in the 1st or 2nd has a very good chance of being a 3rd or 4th stringer, as well. Even in many people's ideal scenario, Darnell Wright grades far below both Collins and Jonah coming out as a prospect.  Lance Zierlein graded both Jonah and Collins 6.70 coming out of college.  He has Wright currently graded at 6.40 and both of those guys have years of NFL experience.  This really is a bad T class.  The only guy he has graded higher in this class is Skoronski at 6.73 and then there's a huge gap to Broderick Jones at 6.44.  
Reply/Quote

Bingo
Reply/Quote
Bengals don't draft an OL until the 5th round or later.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2023, 03:07 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: 1. Unless they take Darnell Wright at 28 or Dawand Jones at 60 (or some other major value pick later in the draft), they will not draft a single OT in this draft. It may sound crazy, but with Collins optimistic about his return at or near opening day, Jackson Carman's (brief) renaissance at LT during the playoffs, Cody Ford's return to his natural position of tackle on a vet minimum deal and Jonah Williams being moved from LT to RT (or being traded, we'll see), there simply is not room for a development OT on this roster right now. They'd have to be, at a minimum, better than D'Ante Smith or Hakeem Adeniji to even maintain a spot on the roster. I don't see any definitive upgrades at OT in the 3rd round or later and even some 2nd round options like Blake Freeland and Matt Bergeron may not be good enough to compete with Carman, Collins and Williams at RT this year. If competing for a SB window with this core intact is a priority, I think they will prioritize positions that can give a higher day 1 impact than a 3rd or 4th string RT in 2023.

Honestly, your first two I think could very well be what will happen. I think they will ride it out with what we have at RT but look to add better quality depth/competition to OC/OG. A guy to learn behind Ted K, and maybe a guy who will unseat Volson.  
Reply/Quote