Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Post draft roster review
Time for the first post-draft look at our roster.  On the whole we seem to be in good shape, although lacking proven depth at WR and DE.  Some spots (DT) are going to be a barfight to decide who we keep while others like OT seem pretty set.

Note that I haven't included UDFAs yet because they haven't been officially signed and I don't know enough about them to make any comments.

Starting with the Offence

QB
Dalton, McCarron, Wenning

We have a solid starter and a backup that can come in and win games if needed.  Ideal.

RB
Jeremy Hill, Bernard, Burkhead, Peerman, Bronson Hill

Will Jeremy Hill get back to his best this year?  We'll likely keep the same four as last year unless an UDFA comes in and makes a very strong run to unseat Peerman or Burkhead.

FB
Hewitt

Didn't have his best year last year, but with no apparent competition the question is really whether Zampese wants a FB on the roster or not.  I'd say he's safe.

TE
Eifert, Kroft, Uzomah, Lengel, Peters

The Tylers are safe and you'd expect CJ Uzomah to be as well.  Peters and Lengel are probably fighting for the PS unless an injury happens.

WR
Green, LaFell, Boyd, Alford, Tate, Wright, Kumerow, Core, Bennett

Wow this position is competitive.  Behind the three locks of Green, LaFell and Boyd we really don't know what we have.  Tate's place may depend upon Special Teams, while the other five WRs have the opportunity to earn a roster spot in camp.

OT
Whitworth, Ogbuehi, Fisher, Winston

We're set here.  The only question is whether Ogbuehi or Fisher start the season at RT, but the clubhouse leader seems to be Big Ced.

G
Zeitler, Boling, Westerman, Hopkins

You have to feel for Trey Hopkins after his broken leg a couple of seasons ago hurt his chance to cement a spot on the roster.  With the drafting of Westerman you have to think that Hopkins will be facing off against TJ Johnson for the final OL spot.  If Boling is thought of as the backup C, you could even make a case for going with 8 OL...

C
Bodine, TJ Johnson

Russell Bodine has become public enemy number one with the Bengals faithful thanks to his weakness at the point of attack.  However, there is no clear competition for him this year.  

Defence

DL
Ends: Johnson, Dunlap, Hunt, Clarke
Tackles: Atkins, Peko, Sims, Thompson, Billings, Williams
Swing Man: Hardison

The team seem to see Hardison as being able to fulfil the Fanene/Gilberry role of coming inside on passing downs.  The four ends look set as no competition was drafted - fingers crossed Hunt and Clarke fulfil their potential this year.  Inside at tackle we have a real log jam with the huge potential of DeShawn Williams and Andrew Billings playing off against last year's backups in Thompson and Sims.  Don't be surprised if one or both of Sims and Thompson fail to make the team.

LB
Burfict, Maualuga, Dansby, Rey, Dawson, Vigil, Flowers, Dimanche, Roach, Luc

Another position where we are set for starters and have plenty of competition for depth.  Burfict is suspended for three games so there may be an extra spot for someone to fight for in the first three games.  Flowers, Dimanche, Dawson and Vigil will need to show they are capable of playing to earn that final spot or two.

CB
Jones, Kirkpatrick, Dennard, Shaw, Lewis-Harris, Jackson, Brown

We are set at CB with four 1st-rounders, Shaw who can play corner or safety and the reliable Lewis-Harris who has shown he can come in and play a role in big games.  The only question is whether we have the room to keep them all.

S
Iloka, Williams, Smith, Mays, Fejedelem, Raven

Mays starts the season suspended, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut when he becomes eligible.  There's a real opportunity for Fejedelem to claim his spot in camp.

Special Teams
LS: Harris  
P: Huber
K: Nugent, Hocker

Hocker is a camp body; these three positions are set.
Reply/Quote
Good analysis, though I see Mays making the team with his ability to play hybrid LB and superior play on special teams... Fejedelem is practice squad meat to me.

As for WR I think Core will establish himself as a clear #4/5 WR

Finally I believe a late addition to DE will be from the released players around the league to give us more competition and depth there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 11:36 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Finally I believe a late addition to DE will be from the released players around the league to give us more competition and depth there.

We went through a spell of picking up terrible DEs that had been cut in the hope that they were just played in the wrong system - Aaron Maybin for example - so I wouldn't be surprised to see this.  With that said, I also wouldn't expect that person to seriously challenge the incumbents either.  We'll be relying upon the interior defensive line to make opportunities for the outside again.
Reply/Quote
Thanks, pretty close I'd say except :

I can't really wrap my head around Hunt being a lock to make the team. Surely not !
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 04:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Thanks, pretty close I'd say except :

I can't really wrap my head around Hunt being a lock to make the team. Surely not !

Ryan Brown, DE, Miss. State is a guy who might challenge Hunt for a spot on the 53. I checked out highlights of all of the UDFAs (minus the OLinemen), and Brown looks to have the best chance. Maybe Johnson beats out Wenning for 3rd string QB and a spot on the PS. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 11:41 AM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: We went through a spell of picking up terrible DEs that had been cut in the hope that they were just played in the wrong system - Aaron Maybin for example - so I wouldn't be surprised to see this.  With that said, I also wouldn't expect that person to seriously challenge the incumbents either.  We'll be relying upon the interior defensive line to make opportunities for the outside again.

i don't judge decisions today from decisions in the past.. there are at times nice pick ups do to salary hits as you roll into the pre season..  and my gut says the Bengals say the same
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 09:28 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: i don't judge decisions today from decisions in the past.. there are at times nice pick ups do to salary hits as you roll into the pre season..  and my gut says the Bengals say the same

I see De Shawn Williams making the rotation on the D.Last season he played a lot in the pre-season and I thought he was unblockable and showed a lot of good moves.He had several sacks and to me was a force.I look for him to be upgraded by the coaches and start playing in the rotation.I really like the dude and I cannot wait to watch Andrew Billings hammer dudes all year.Its going to be a blast to watch this defense.I see them jellin by maybe week 2-3.It will take a few games for all of them to hammer as one,but when it happens its going to be jamming time.

After the draft,I watched every second of it and wrote down every player that every team drafted.I am putting together a watch list all of them.I was so stoked with this draft class,I jumped up ran to the garage and started working out with my weights.I put JOHNNY WINTERS on my cd stero.He plays blues and rock and roll and I just started smokin the weights.I was stoked as hell after this draft.Its going to be a blast this year.LETS GO !!!!
Reply/Quote
As much as I hate to say it, I bet Tate ends up on the team for the simple fact he will return punts/kicks if Boyd doesn't.

One would have to think Hunt doesn't survive cuts this year, he has been a huge disappointment and I dont see that changing this year.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Probably Dead Horse but I'd like to see Bjoern Werner brought in to compete with Hunt and Clarke for a DE spot. He was an ideal 4-3 DE that was misplaced in Indy's 3-4 scheme as an OLB. Even in his lack of ideal situation in Indy, he still has had a better 3-year stint than Hunt has in 3 years and Clarke in 2 years combined.

Plus, the Bengals love their former first-round reclamation projects on the cheap!
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think Tate is done since we have Boyd and I think Jackson can return punts/kicks too
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 01:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Probably Dead Horse but I'd like to see Bjoern Werner brought in to compete with Hunt and Clarke for a DE spot. He was an ideal 4-3 DE that was misplaced in Indy's 3-4 scheme as an OLB. Even in his lack of ideal situation in Indy, he still has had a better 3-year stint than Hunt has in 3 years and Clarke in 2 years combined.

Plus, the Bengals love their former first-round reclamation projects on the cheap!

Would love bringing in Werner to compete at the End position, this is my only question about the draft.

We needed a pass rusher as Hunt and Clarke have shown next to nothing for us yet and Gilberry is a Lion.

BTW, OP great analysis on the roster, i couldn't of done it any better. I do believe Sims and Thompson are in
some tough spots to make it with the addition of Billings and Deshaun Williams coming in looking like a stud.
We need DT's that can stop the run and rush the passer and these two youngins seem to have this ability,
especially Billings.

I also would like to agree with Shady's darkhorses, Ryan Brown and Johnson the BG QB could both make a
push for a last spot or at the very least the Practice Squad.
Reply/Quote
List looks good. I would like to see some more help at DE also.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 08:01 PM)Shady Wrote: Ryan Brown, DE, Miss. State is a guy who might challenge Hunt for a spot on the 53. I checked out highlights of all of the UDFAs (minus the OLinemen), and Brown looks to have the best chance. Maybe Johnson beats out Wenning for 3rd string QB and a spot on the PS. 

I couldn't find his highlights
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 01:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Probably Dead Horse but I'd like to see Bjoern Werner brought in to compete with Hunt and Clarke for a DE spot. He was an ideal 4-3 DE that was misplaced in Indy's 3-4 scheme as an OLB. Even in his lack of ideal situation in Indy, he still has had a better 3-year stint than Hunt has in 3 years and Clarke in 2 years combined.

Heck yeah bring him in
Reply/Quote
Nice Analysis. I know that a lot of fans comment that Flowers and Dawson are locks on the 53 MR. I know that Jim Owcrazski commented that last year Flowers was going to be cut. But was injured in the last Pre-season game and ended up on IR. Dawson was regulated to ST and never gained any real footing for solid defensive snaps. Not saying these two can't come out swinging and start taking names, so we'll have to see. But I do feel that if Flowers can't play ST's because of his shoulder, then he's probably not going to make the roster. We already know that Burfict, Mau, Dansby and Rey will not be playing ST's this season. So a LB is needed. Vigil will be one. Who will be the other?
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 09:50 PM)SFmajor Wrote: Nice Analysis.  I know that a lot of fans comment that Flowers and Dawson are locks on the 53 MR.  I know that Jim  Owcrazski commented that last year Flowers was going to be cut. But was injured in the last Pre-season game and ended up on IR.  Dawson was regulated to ST and never gained any real footing for solid defensive snaps.   Not saying these two can't come out swinging and start taking names, so we'll have to see.  But I do feel that if Flowers can't play ST's because of his shoulder, then he's probably not going to make the roster.  We already know that Burfict, Mau, Dansby and Rey will not be playing ST's this season.   So a LB is needed.  Vigil will be one.  Who will be the other?

Hopefully Dawson. His scouting report specifically said he is one of those players who does not practice well but shows up in actual game play. So of course Marvin won't let him play why? Because he doesn't practice well.
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 11:28 PM)Joelist Wrote: Hopefully Dawson. His scouting report specifically said he is one of those players who does not practice well but shows up in actual game play. So of course Marvin won't let him play why? Because he doesn't practice well.

Had to laugh. Yeh, go figure! I wonder if Dawson would be a better fit with another team. Seattle comes to mind. I think that ML's approach with "not letting a younger player usurp an older player" is a barrier for younger talent. It hasn't happened in every case, but it's the norm, not the exception. This year will be no different. Best opportunity for a younger player with the Bengals is if an older player goes down for the year.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2016, 11:36 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Good analysis, though I see Mays making the team with his ability to play hybrid LB and superior play on special teams...  Fejedelem is practice squad meat to me.  

As for WR I think Core will establish himself as a clear #4/5 WR

Finally I believe a late addition to DE will be from the released players around the league to give us more competition and depth there.

I hated the Fej pick, but somehow I think he beats out Mays.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-03-2016, 11:50 PM)SFmajor Wrote: Had to laugh.  Yeh, go figure!  I wonder if Dawson would be a better fit with another team.  Seattle comes to mind.   I think that ML's approach with "not letting a younger player usurp an older player" is a barrier for younger talent.  It hasn't happened in every case, but it's the norm, not the exception.   This year will be no different.  Best opportunity for a younger player with the Bengals is if an older player goes down for the year.

Or Marvin just doesn't want to throw a rookie into the starting lineup on a playoff team and have him cost them a vital game.

I think the Marvin won't play rookies thing is getting worn out.  He played several rookies:

Steinbach
Kelly Washington
Tab Perry
Chris Perry
Odell Thurman
David Pollack

Then the team got pretty good and had a good roster,

Then you saw a down year,

Andre Smith
Andy Dalton
AJ Green
Rey Maualuga
Russell Bodine
Vontaze Burfict.
Tyler Eifert
Jeremy Hill
Gio Bernard

In reality, if you are a playoff team with few injuries, you won't see 4 or 5 rookies playing each season.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2016, 11:23 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I hated the Fej pick, but somehow I think he beats out Mays.

You wanted Powell didn't you.
Reply/Quote