Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post free agency/draft analysis of '17 opponents....Titans
We need to start a thread on each team. Something to fill the dead time around here.

I'll take the Titans. I think they are going to be a very good team this year.

Their only need on offense was WR, and they added Corey Davis with the 5th pick of the draft and traded up in the third round to get Taywan Taylor. They already have a good young offensive line. Their Pro Bowl LT (Lewan) was only in his third year, and the All Pro RT (Conklin) was just a rookie. With DeMarco Murray and Derrick Henry their running game ranked #3 in yards and #4 in yards per carry. Mariotta is a very efficient QB (95.6 rating, 26 tds, only 9 ints), and '16 was only his second year in the league. He is still getting better with experience, and the addition of Davis will help. Mariotta Still has Pro Bowl TE Delani Walker, and he can also hurt teams with his running ability.

On defense their real big weakness was their secondary. Their run defense was 2nd in yards allowed, 5th in tds, and 12th in yards per carry. The low rush yardage was partly due to the weak pass defense, but the Titans front seven was pretty solid with two Pro Bowlers (LB Brian Orakpo, DT Jurell Casey) plus other proven solid players like DE/LB Derrick Morgan (9 sacks) and LB Wesley Woodyard. They also added a top free agent DT in Sylvester Williams (3 yrs $17.5 mil) The Titans were very aggressive in addressing their weakness in the secondary. They signed free agents CB Logan Ryan (3 yr $30 mil), and safety Safety John Cyprian (4 yr $25 mil). Then they used their second first round pick (#18) on CB Adoree Jackson.

Conclusion. Titans have a legit offense with lots of good young talent. They ranked #11 last year, but their run heavy offens eburns so much clock they will never be at the top of the league in yards gained. With another year under Mariotta's belt and the addition of an elite young WR I see this as being on of the best offenses in the league. Their defense is still, a work in progress, but if their overhaul of the secondary and addition of Williams to the D-line works out they could have one of the better defenses in the league.

They haven't proven anything yet, but they have the talent to be one of the top 6 teams in the league.
Reply/Quote
They finished last year at 9-7 which tied Houston for the Division and split the games with Houston 1-1.

If they can get it together on Defense, they will be a real pain. They did struggle getting some points against some of the better Defense's in the league, but that might change some with Corey Davis added.

We get them in the middle of the year too (Game 9), so both teams should be clicking by then. We play the Titans at their house, but good news is Titans didn't do well at home last year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Great idea for a series of threads Fred.

If our tackles overcome the dire predictions this will be a really good game.  Titans had a great offseason and were up and coming last year.
Reply/Quote
Since it is a Fred Thread, someone will need to play the role of contrarian...since he can't do it to his own thread.

(Hand goes up)

The Titans went 9-7 last year with wins over:

Lions
Dolphins (got them early, as did the Bengals)
Browns
Jags
Packers (signature win)
Bears
Broncos
Cheifs- This, and the Denver game, are pretty solid wins, but they followed it up by being slammed by Jax
Texans- Tom Savage could barely beat (should have lost, but thank God they didn't or we wouldn't have Ross) the Bengals at home when their playoff lives were in the balance.

This year, they play the AFC North and will also be facing a 2nd place schedule. If they win 9 games again, I will be surprised. They had a good draft and have been smart in the past to have two first round picks in 2017, but those picks would have to be immediate contributors. Their running game has real potential with the smash of Henry and the moves of Murray, but they will be facing much tougher defenses this year.

Marriota actually dropped in completion % from year 1 to year 2 in his NFL career (he was a 61% passer in 2016) and he ran the ball nearly twice as often. That doesn't show me progress in reading defenses, and like most QBs that rely on the run, he ended up getting injured.

With games against Oakland, Seattle, Miami(different team than when they got them last year), Arizona, and the AFC North, I could see the Titans winning 8 games despite being a better team than a year ago.
Reply/Quote
I do love the idea of analyzing each opponent. Perhaps we should go in order of the schedule, vote the outcome of the game, and (undoubtedly) know our exact record at (regular) season's end?
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 06:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I do love the idea of analyzing each opponent.  Perhaps we should go in order of the schedule, vote the outcome of the game, and (undoubtedly) know our exact record at (regular) season's end?

Good idea! Baltimore is 1st , right?
Reply/Quote
They blew us out last year. We had no answer for their offense.
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 06:05 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Good idea! Baltimore is 1st , right?

Yes, sir!
Reply/Quote
(05-11-2017, 06:11 PM)packerbacker Wrote: They blew us out last year. We had no answer for their offense.

Not to rub it in, but the Packers didn't have an answer for many offenses last year. 

21st in points allowed
22nd in yards allowed
31st in pass yards allowed
29th in pass TDs allowed 
26th in opponent's passer rating (95.9)
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2017, 12:58 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not to rub it in, but the Packers didn't have an answer for many offenses last year. 

21st in points allowed
22nd in yards allowed
31st in pass yards allowed
29th in pass TDs allowed 
26th in opponent's passer rating (95.9)

Somehow after the Redskins loss we turned it around and went on a 8 game winning streak. We got a lot of turnovers in our favor though on that winning streak so that was one of the reasons for it.
Reply/Quote
I wasn't impressed with what I saw from Adoree...Kinda shocked he went in the first round, too.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2017, 01:45 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I wasn't impressed with what I saw from Adoree...Kinda shocked he went in the first round, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j58UC-RFTu8

Go to 5:54....

I shared this during some of the draft talk.  If you didn't see it, or more to the point hear it, give it a listen.  "Seize him!"  I laugh every time I hear it.  

As for Adoree Jackson, he is a freak speedster but has his issues in coverage.  If they start him as a rookie, well, that is just another reason they aren't going to win 9 games.  

Now I hear they are designing plays for him on offense.  Great.  That will stunt his development as a CB a bit longer  Nervous
Reply/Quote