Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pot Roast
Any good recipes? I normally just season a chuck roast (Brown it if I have time, which I normally don’t), throw it in a crock pot w/ some Lipton onion soup, beef broth, potatoes and carrots. I also add a spoonful of better then bouillon. Cook it on low for 10 hours or so (basically during the work day). It’s ok but not like I remember when I was a kid. Looking for something to try that hopefully can throw together before heading out for the day and coming home to something a little different / better. Thanks in advance!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Italian beef is pretty good.

1 beef roast
1 12-ounce jar pepperoncini or banana peppers (sliced)
1 bottle of Italian dressing

Brown the roast, throw it and the above in a crock pot. Bam, easy. Top with some grated provolone or toast a bun and serve as a sandwich.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 09:53 PM)Benton Wrote: Italian beef is pretty good.

1 beef roast

Brown the roast, throw it and the above in a crock pot. Bam, easy. Top with some grated provolone or toast a bun and serve as a sandwich.

I like the variation. Do you prefer a certain cut of beef over another for it? Or just whatever is on sale? Do you shred it or slice for the samich?
Reply/Quote
The Mississippi roast is pretty good.

It's done in the crock pot. Not sure of exact amounts, but ingredients include:

butter
pepperoncinis
ranch seasoning packet
au jus seasoning packet
the roast

It's really good over noodles or mashed potatoes.
Reply/Quote
Around my house, we typically just use McCormick's Savory Pot Roast seasoning. One to two packets, depending on size of roast, and then add a little black pepper, minced garlic, and maybe a bit of onion.

I will say that Benton's Italian style roast sounds delish. We'll be giving that one a try, for sure.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Works way better for me from the oven. I realize it takes more attention, but I generally end up with leftovers, which reheat easily later.

I'm kind of generic. Let the meat thaw for a day. Season with salt and pepper. Brown and flip it on the stove, medium high heat to seal. Place in oven around 325, even a bit lower if you want. I cook the meat just by itself. If you cook it in a gravy it just waters down. So I just pop a jar of brown gravy on top of the stove. Even a cheaper roast will be tender and delicious. Generally make a point to get larger hamburger buns.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 09:40 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: Any good recipes?  I normally just season a chuck roast (Brown it if I have time, which I normally don’t), throw it in a crock pot w/ some Lipton onion soup, beef broth, potatoes and carrots.  I also add a spoonful of better then bouillon. Cook it on low for 10 hours or so (basically during the work day).  It’s ok but not like I remember when I was a kid. Looking for something to try that hopefully can throw together before heading out for the day and coming home to something a little different / better.  Thanks in advance!!

Do it same way with Lipton mix, broth, carrots, potatoes, and meat

different things I add 

onions…..got to have them personally
Can of brown gravy mixed in………….but going to try your "better than bouillon" next time
salt & pepper……..heavier on pepper since there is plenty of salt in some of the ingredients as well. 
Bay leaf
and cook in pressure cooker

Have heard of people putting red wine and thyme in but does not sound like a good fit to me. But who knows. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 09:53 PM)Benton Wrote: Italian beef is pretty good.

1 beef roast

Also recommend adding hot giardiniera pepper mix to the sandwich to give it heat and a little crunch.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2018, 03:00 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Also recommend adding hot giardiniera pepper mix to the sandwich to give it heat and a little crunch.

Good addition. And the nice thing about it is you can adjust the heat. When it was just thee wife and I, I’d add in sport pepper juice and use hot rings. But the kids hate heat sooooo I make it pretty bland now.

Making a roast this morning. Seared it, added some garlic, onion soup and a can of cream of mushroom. Little salt and pepper. Goes great over noodles or with a side of mashed red potatoes.

Edit: forgot, threw some bay leaves in the roast. Usually would add a little red wine but I didn’t have any.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2018, 10:20 PM)Cure4CF Wrote: I like the variation. Do you prefer a certain cut of beef over another for it? Or just whatever is on sale? Do you shred it or slice for the samich?

Usually I shred my roasts in the pot for the last hour. Let’s them get really moist. If I’m slicing a roast, I usually do it in the oven so it’s got a crispier outside.
Reply/Quote
Crock pot pot roast is great, but I don't like the potatoes and carrots cooked with the meat. Seems like everything just tastes the same, and I don't care for carrots that taste like pot roast.

Brown on all sides. Place in crock pot with chunks of onion, lots of garlic, salt, pepper, tablespoon of molasses, and some worcestershire sauce or Dales seasoning (but not too much).

Cook low and slow all day. Remove meat. Pour broth into sauce pan (if onion chunks are too large strain them out) Dissolve flour or corn starch in small amount of cold water. Stir into broth and cook (stirring constantly) until thick gravy.

If there is a thick layer of oil or fat on top of the broth skim it off with spoon before making the gravy. Or if you have an extra day you can put it in the fridge and the fat will harden on top of the broth.
Reply/Quote
This is my go to. Its REALLY good. Its all about building flavors and layers when it comes to pot roast. Gotta get that fond going, makes all the difference in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg8qQTrb9lk&index=12&list=PLGgJwT_SEYBxRAX-n9118ef2eqqJKTsWa&t=0s
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 12:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Crock pot pot roast is great, but I don't like the potatoes and carrots cooked with the meat. Seems like everything just tastes the same, and I don't care for carrots that taste like pot roast.

Brown on all sides. Place in crock pot with chunks of onion, lots of garlic, salt, pepper, tablespoon of molasses, and some worcestershire sauce or Dales seasoning (but not too much).

Cook low and slow all day. Remove meat. Pour broth into sauce pan (if onion chunks are too large strain them out) Dissolve flour or corn starch in small amount of cold water. Stir into broth and cook (stirring constantly) until thick gravy.

If there is a thick layer of oil or fat on top of the broth skim it off with spoon before making the gravy. Or if you have an extra day you can put it in the fridge and the fat will harden on top of the broth.

My first crock pot was small. The roast would fit in the bottom but was so small we had to put carrots or whatever on top of it. Loved the carrots and they didn’t taste like the roast. Got a bigger one a year or so ago and the carrots could go beside it. I guess they soaked up the meat juice because they tasted totally different.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 03:58 PM)Benton Wrote: My first crock pot was small. The roast would fit in the bottom but was so small we had to put carrots or whatever on top of it. Loved the carrots and they didn’t taste like the roast. Got a bigger one a year or so ago and the carrots could go beside it. I guess they soaked up the meat juice because they tasted totally different.

Is it just me, or does anything you cook in a crock pot just taste "different"? 

I dont know, I just feel like the crock pot does something to the food that makes it taste kind of off. I would rather braise, simmer, or slow cook in a cast iron dutch oven or pot any day. Its nice too because you can sear the meat before you slow cook it. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Going to cook the Italian beef tomorrow. Using mild banana peppers, hopefully not spicy for the kids. I meant to get a jar of pepperoncini and a jar of banana peppers but accidentally just grabbed two different brands of the banana peppers. I am only going to use 1 jar but never really tried the pepperoncini before and was looking forward to it. Maybe next time.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2018, 11:19 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Is it just me, or does anything you cook in a crock pot just taste "different"? 

I dont know, I just feel like the crock pot does something to the food that makes it taste kind of off. I would rather braise, simmer, or slow cook in a cast iron dutch oven or pot any day. Its nice too because you can sear the meat before you slow cook it. 

Well all the things cook together they all kinda take on the others taste a bit...
Reply/Quote
So it I made a chuck roast couple nights ago, and it was awesome.

Ingredients: 3 lb chuck roast, Better than Bouillon beef (1 tbl), water, 2 medium onions, salt, freshly cracked pepper, bit of oil for browning, sprig of rosemary

I cooked it in a dutch oven, started it on stove, finished in oven 325-350 degrees for about 3 hours, but can go bit longer.
- preheat oven to 325 or 350
- salt & pepper roast nicely
- on stove top, heat up the dutch oven medium to medium high, get it hot though. then add bit of oil, like tablespoon or so
- add roast to heated dutch oven, searing all sides to a nice golden brown, then remove.
- add the tbl of Better than Beef bouillon with a tad bit of water and stir til mixed.
- add more water until it looks like most of the roast would be submerged, stir or whisk, scrapping the bottom seared bits up.
- bring to a light boil
- add roast, onions (chunked up), rosemary
- cover with lid, and place in preheated oven
- bake around 3 total hours minimum for a 3lb roast, flip roast about halfway through

- with an hour to go, I added a bag of mini carrots, mushrooms, and a few red potatoes halved. This is the best method because they are perfectly cooked through, not mushy, and still maintains their own flavors unlike when they cook all day with the roast.

for gravy:
- remove roast and veggies, can strain broth if you like.
- can either make a butter & flour (3 tbl each) roux in a separate pot or skillet, then slowly add beef broth to it while whisking
- or leave broth in dutch oven, whisk 3 tbl of flour and warmed milk together til smooth, then slowly add to broth while whisking
- either way bring to a boil for a few minutes until consistency you want.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Here ya go!

https://www.southyourmouth.com/2012/09/mamas-pot-roast.html

[Image: Mama%2527s+Pot+Roast+b.jpg]

Quote:1 3-lb chuck roast

2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt & pepper
2 envelopes Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix
2 cups water
4-5 medium potatoes, peeled & halved
2-3 cups baby carrots
2-3 onions, quartered
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Season roast on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet on high heat. Sear each side of roast (and sides if thick enough) in hot skillet about 2 minutes or until nicely browned on each side. Place roast in a large roasting pan.

Combine both soup mixes with water and stir well. Pour soup mixture in roasting pan (not on top of the meat). Cover with a tight-fitting lid or tightly with aluminum foil. Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours.

Note: If you're roasting in the same pan you seared the meat, remove the roast and set it aside before you add the liquid. If you put the liquid in a hot pan it could start to boil which will "seize" the roast and make it tough. For more on that and some of my other tips, click here.

Remove pan from oven and ladle out 1 cup of broth; set aside. Add potatoes, carrots and onions to pan surrounding the roast. Cover pan tightly again and continue baking for 1 hour. Remove pan from oven. Move roast and vegetables to a serving platter and cover to keep warm.

To make gravy, place roasting pan on the stove (to cover 2 burners if using an elongated pan) and heat on medium-high heat. Add cornstarch to a small bowl and whisk in reserved 1 cup of broth. Whisk cornstarch mixture into pan juices and heat until simmering. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, whisking continually, until thickened.

Reply/Quote
I chop and sautee my onions at the same time I am browning the roast.

I also rub the roast before browning with garlic, black pepper, and molasses.
Reply/Quote