Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential NFL Rule Changes
As per usually, the NFL gets a long list of rule changes each year to vote on.

So, here there are for 2021:

Competition Committee Rules Proposals:

By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 16, to eliminate overtime in the preseason.

By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 6, Section 1, Article 3, for one year only, to establish a maximum number of players in the setup zone.

By Competition Committee; to amend Rule 12, Section 2, Article 4, to expand the prohibition on blocking below the waist by offensive and defensive players on scrimmage downs when contact occurs beyond five yards on either side of the line of scrimmage and more than two yards outside of either offensive tackle.

By Competition Committee, Coaches Subcommittee, and Baltimore; to amend Rule 15, Section 3, Article 9, and Rule 19, Section 2, to permit the Replay Official and designated members of the Officiating department to provide certain objective information to the on-field officials.

Club Playing Rule Proposals:

By Chicago; to amend Rule 11, Section 3, Article 3, to ensure the enforcement of all accepted penalties committed by either team during successive Try attempts.

By Los Angeles Rams; to amend Rule 8, Section 1, Article 2, to add a loss of down for a second forward pass from behind the line and for a pass thrown after the ball returns behind the line.

By Kansas City; to amend Rule 5, Section 1, Article 2, to expand jersey number options for certain positions.

By Baltimore and Philadelphia; to amend Rule 16, Section 1, to change the options for winner of an overtime coin toss, and create a true sudden death format.

By Baltimore Ravens; to amend Rule 16, Section 1, to change the options for winner of an overtime coin toss, eliminate sudden death format, and eliminate overtime in the preseason.

By Philadelphia; to amend Rule 6, Section 1, Article 1, to permit a team to maintain possession of the ball after a score by substituting one offensive play (4th and 15 from the kicking team's 25-yard line) for an onside kickoff attempt.

By Baltimore; to amend Rule 19, Section 1, Article 1, to add an eighth official who is positioned somewhere other than the playing field, with full communication to on-field officials and access to a television monitor.

If you want to read more about the sections they are talking about, here's the link:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-competition-committee-and-club-playing-rules-proposals

I would like to see Philly's proposal go through, makes the onside kick go away and gives a real chance for late game drama. Good for ratings I'm sure.

Also, the last one by Baltimore might be good as well as long as it doesn't slow the game to a crawl with too many corrections and discussions.

Feel free to discuss.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quick edit:

Here is another rule proposal that was on a new article:

To keep all teams and candidates on equal ground, interviews for head coaching or coordinator jobs can't be held until after the conference title games and you can't make any hirings until after the Super Bowl (proposed by Bills).

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/major-nfl-rule-changes-could-be-coming-12-things-to-know-about-the-leagues-latest-proposals/

This one would be interesting for the Bengals if this season goes poorly and they move on from Taylor. Having to wait till after the Super Bowl to hire a coach or coordinator.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:15 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: As per usually, the NFL gets a long list of rule changes each year to vote on.

So, here there are for 2021:

The Baltimore 19:1:1 is one i've been screaming about for years. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The Baltimore 19:1:1 is one i've been screaming about for years. 

The "sky judge" idea?

Be cool if they actually can keep the flow of the game and not have too many breaks in the action.

I think Boyd would have avoided and ejection if they had a "sky judge" last season. Unless they limit what the officials powers are in the situation.

Reply/Quote
Philly proposal sucks.. why are we wanting to reward a team losing by two scores at end of the game etc.. football is not played in last 5 minutes it is played over 4 quarters.. do your job before the last 5 minutes or else. We act like onside kicks were so successful before rule changes.. like 1/5 chance before changes.. in the end don't create some gimmick rule for teams losing
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:27 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The "sky judge" idea?

Be cool if they actually can keep the flow of the game and not have too many breaks in the action.

I think Boyd would have avoided and ejection if they had a "sky judge" last season. Unless they limit what the officials powers are in the situation.

Yeah. If he has contact "real time" with the officials--well, one designated offical--it wouldn't be any different than being on the field. 

Like on tv, when a flag is thrown, you get a couple quick replays, which would give him time to make a more correct call without slowing the game down. 

I've been a long time proponent of having just one ref on the field--to throw a flag and make calls--while all the rest watch tv monitors from a much better angle.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:29 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Philly proposal sucks.. why are we wanting to reward a team losing by two scores at end of the game etc.. football is not played in  last 5 minutes it is played over 4 quarters.. do your job before the last 5 minutes or else.  We act like onside kicks were so successful before rule changes.. like 1/5  chance before changes.. in the end don't create some gimmick rule for teams losing

Is it any more of a chance then the old on side kick rule?

I'm not sure the percentages of onside kick recovered of old vs the percentage of converting a 4th and 15, but I'd imagine they are similar?

I know watching on-side kicks now is boring.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:32 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. If he has contact "real time" with the officials--well, one designated offical--it wouldn't be any different than being on the field. 

Like on tv, when a flag is thrown, you get a couple quick replays, which would give him time to make a more correct call without slowing the game down. 

I've been a long time proponent of having just one ref on the field--to throw a flag and make calls--while all the rest watch tv monitors from a much better angle.

Hey I'd apply to be a ref if I could just chill in a recliner and watch TV. That'd be a sweet gig!

But yeah it makes sense to have at the one ref watching the tape and replay and able to say "Hey that wasn't pass interference" or most important I think would be "Hey that hit was actually legal"

Seen a lot of flags on big hits that turn out to be legal hits upon review. Would love to see the defenses be able to play aggressive again.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:36 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Hey I'd apply to be a ref if I could just chill in a recliner and watch TV. That'd be a sweet gig!

But yeah it makes sense to have at the one ref watching the tape and replay and able to say "Hey that wasn't pass interference" or most important I think would be "Hey that hit was actually legal"

Seen a lot of flags on big hits that turn out to be legal hits upon review. Would love to see the defenses be able to play aggressive again.

Yep.

And c'mon man. You know we are all already couch officials every Sunday afternoon!

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yep.

And c'mon man. You know we are all already couch officials every Sunday afternoon!

What!??!?!?! You better not be talking about the Game Day threads....

Completely honest moment, I've lost count of the times I've jumped up and yelled "That's holding" when we play against pitt.

If I ever was an official, I'd last one pitt game. And after flagging them for holding on every offensive snap, I'd be fired.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:54 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: What!??!?!?! You better not be talking about the Game Day threads....

Completely honest moment, I've lost count of the times I've jumped up and yelled "That's holding" when we play against pitt.

If I ever was an official, I'd last one pitt game. And after flagging them for holding on every offensive snap, I'd be fired.

lol. I, like i'm sure most people do, make calls all game long. I'm surprised the wife hasn't asked me where my striped shirt is (sarcastically). Big Grin

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:36 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Hey I'd apply to be a ref if I could just chill in a recliner and watch TV. That'd be a sweet gig!

Definitely agree, this might save the game even. Sick of watching clean hard hits get called unnecessary. Like Bates hit on Mike
Williams in the first game against the Chargers last year. These calls change games.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 06:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definitely agree, this might save the game even. Sick of watching clean hard hits get called unnecessary. Like Bates hit on Mike
Williams in the first game against the Chargers last year. These calls change games.

Nothing changes the vibe of a game faster then that type of penalty.

Defense is all excited from the hit... the bam... mood deflated due to penalty.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:54 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: What!??!?!?! You better not be talking about the Game Day threads....

They say there is holding on every play and the officials really just call the egregious ones.

They say that, but we've all seen phantom holding calls.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:33 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Is it any more of a chance then the old on side kick rule?

I'm not sure the percentages of onside kick recovered of old vs the percentage of converting a 4th and 15, but I'd imagine they are similar?

I know watching on-side kicks now is boring.

Doing an onside kick is a kickoff albeit a short one. It’s not a special rule designed to give a losing team a better chance.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2021, 01:29 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Philly proposal sucks.. why are we wanting to reward a team losing by two scores at end of the game etc.. football is not played in  last 5 minutes it is played over 4 quarters.. do your job before the last 5 minutes or else.  We act like onside kicks were so successful before rule changes.. like 1/5  chance before changes.. in the end don't create some gimmick rule for teams losing

Nothing about the rule says the team has to be behind to try this.  Nothing says it can only happen in the final 5 minutes.

For many years we had an onsides kick rule and I never heard anyone crying about it being a "gimmick" to reward losing teams for playing poorly.  But recent rule changes on the kickoff have made the onside kick almost impossible to convert by the kicking team.  So this rule is just an attempt to make the rules more like they used to be.
Reply/Quote

Hmm...

Were you recently relieved of officiating duties by the NHL after a Nashville Predators game?
Reply/Quote

Lol I would love to see that. But yeah Pittsburgh is always said to have a top o line but yet can trot udfa's out there. It's just like some teams can get away with holding because who they are. 

I know people won't like this but I really feel the NFL has an agenda on who they want to win. Like our wildcard game vs the Steelers really should of been a win for us. They come out and say oh we messed up after the game like oh well moving along. It really takes the integrity of the game out of it for me. But draft time gets me interested again. That's why I wanted #1 pick Joe burrow,maybe he can be a face of the nfl and they let us win playoff games and maybe a slim chance of a superbowl. 
Reply/Quote