Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential ideal team to trade picks with - BUF?
When looking across the picks that other teams have in the upcoming draft, I noticed that BUF has the following picks in the first two rounds:

They could use a QB and the Bengals might be a perfect spot for them to trade up in order to jump ahead of Washington, Arizona, and maybe even Baltimore, who all might be looking for a new franchise QB.

When looking at the trade chart from last year (https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp), here are the values given for the following picks:
12 = 1200
21 = 800
22 = 780
53 = 370
56 = 340

BUF could trade #21 and #53 overall to go to 12 and it would be an awfully close equivalent value (1200 vs 1170).
Or if the team is more desperate, add in a 3/4 rounder or a 2nd rounder in 2019.

This not only would allow BUF to get the QB they wanted but still have another first rounder and second rounder to further improve their team.
Meanwhile, this would allow the Bengals to pick up an extra 2nd rounder and hopefully given them more willingness to draft OL in the first round since Hobson indicated the Bengals don't value any OL good enough for pick 12.

Your thoughts on BUF being a trade partner given their abundance of high-round picks?
Is there another team who you think is even better to trade with?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn’t take less in trade points to move down to that spot. I think the team trading up to get their qb should “overpay” for spot. So I would rather get both 1s or 1 and both 2s and throw in something on the the back end, like our 4th if need be.

Of course it all depends on who is there for us at 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 03:12 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I wouldn’t take less in trade points to move down to that spot.  I think the team trading up to get their qb should “overpay” for spot.  So I would rather get both 1s or 1 and both 2s and throw in something on the the back end, like our 4th if need be.  

Of course it all depends on who is there for us at 12

IMO both firsts is way overpaying. That's highway robbery.
But adding in a 3rd would still be above the #12 overall value by about 150 points. Or as mentioned in OP, 2nd rounder for 2019 draft since it's typically considered equivalent of 3rd rounder in the current year in terms of value.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It just depends on their board. If the qb they want is there go get him. If I’m the team trading down I don’t take less points to do it. I gotta be moved. They don’t seem to like Tyrod and peterman sucked in his audition.

Reply/Quote
If the clear cut elite prospects are gone by 12, I'd like to see a trade down this year. I think that I'd rather see a trade down over taking a safety or TE at 12 as well. 21 seems like it would be a good spot to get a good o-line or linebacker. With the extra pick, they could bundle it to trade back into the back of the first for a second first rounder if they wanted to. 
Reply/Quote
I am confused how is a first Rd pick for next year have the same value as a 2nd Rd pick this year?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Would be fine trading back for an extra pick.

Am fine if they use it if somebody they really like falls as well.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 02:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: When looking across the picks that other teams have in the upcoming draft, I noticed that BUF has the following picks in the first two rounds:

They could use a QB and the Bengals might be a perfect spot for them to trade up in order to jump ahead of Washington, Arizona, and maybe even Baltimore, who all might be looking for a new franchise QB.

When looking at the trade chart from last year (https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp), here are the values given for the following picks:
12 = 1200
21 = 800
22 = 780
53 = 370
56 = 340

BUF could trade #21 and #53 overall to go to 12 and it would be an awfully close equivalent value (1200 vs 1170).
Or if the team is more desperate, add in a 3/4 rounder or a 2nd rounder in 2019.

This not only would allow BUF to get the QB they wanted but still have another first rounder and second rounder to further improve their team.
Meanwhile, this would allow the Bengals to pick up an extra 2nd rounder and hopefully given them more willingness to draft OL in the first round since Hobson indicated the Bengals don't value any OL good enough for pick 12.

Your thoughts on BUF being a trade partner given their abundance of high-round picks?
Is there another team who you think is even better to trade with?

Excellent research and using the point system is what NFL teams will do, so it makes sense.  I think Buffalo will definitely want to go for a QB.  Maybe they will want to trade even higher, but I think Buffalo might take someone less polished like Darnold because he is a big, strong guy with a Howitzer for an arm.  He could very well be there at 12.  He needs to be mobile and can spin it through the wind out there.  I think of him as a Carson Wentz with less talent around him and smaller windows to fit his passes through.  He wouldn't be getting pounded behind Buffalo's line like he was against the Buckeyes at USC.  

This has a very realistic possibility of happening.  The Bengals could get the less-sexy help they need at LB, DT, or Center at that later pick and also getting that middling 2nd rounder would add more beef on the offensive line.

I, for one, hope this happens. People will want the burner safety that runs a 4.4 at the combine because he is a sexy player, but this would improve our team much more than a guy that would likely ride the pine behind Williams and Iloka.  
Reply/Quote
My problem is having a bunch of picks and using them on guys who dont even make the team or contribute.

Last year elliot was cut along with deilman and wilson. Wilson at least made the PS schrek went to IR.

Having an assload of picks and using them on guys that are going to get cut doesnt make much sense.

We are looking at potentially 11 draft picks this year already just like last year. 6 of them will be coming in rounds 5-7.

Instead of drafting throw away players we need to target some players and go get them.

I always like the idea of trading down and getting extra early picks. But there is a limit. If we actually did something with the late picks instead of throwing them away i would like it a lot more.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 02:25 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: My problem is having a bunch of picks and using them on guys who dont even make the team or contribute.

Last year elliot was cut along with deilman and wilson. Wilson at least made the PS schrek went to IR.

Having an assload of picks and using them on guys that are going to get cut doesnt make much sense.

We are looking at potentially 11 draft picks this year already just like last year. 6 of them will be coming in rounds 5-7.

Instead of drafting throw away players we need to target some players and go get them.

I always like the idea of trading down and getting extra early picks. But there is a limit. If we actually did something with the late picks instead of throwing them away i would like it a lot more.

Agree need quality over quantity. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
There's no law against trading down and then trading back up to where you think the glut of talent is. If they do trade down from 12, I'd like to see some trade up action after the fact. 
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2018, 11:37 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I am confused how is a first Rd pick for next year have the same value as a 2nd Rd pick this year?

https://www.patspulpit.com/platform/amp/2017/4/23/15398184/2017-nfl-draft-creating-a-brand-new-nfl-draft-value-trade-chart

“Future draft picks are valued one round earlier than the current year”

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-21-2018, 02:25 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: My problem is having a bunch of picks and using them on guys who dont even make the team or contribute.

I agree when it comes to rounds 5-7. Unless you are specifically looking for K, P, FB, or blocking TE, very few ever actually become quality starters. I’ve always been a fan of having more picks in Day 1 and 2 then use late round picks to trade up.

Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Nothing wrong with having more late round (5th or later) picks than you have room for on the roster. There are always soem good players that come out of the late rounds, but finding them is more about luck than scouting. So having more late round picks just improves the chances of finding a good player.

Marvin Jones and George Iloka were both 5th round picks.

Two of our former 6th round picks were playing for the Patriots Sunday (Flowers, Burkhead)

T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Jon Fanene were both 7th round picks.

When it comes to trading up in the draft late round picks really don't have much value.
Reply/Quote